doubleclap

New Call Salary Negotiation

A little background......currently articling for an SP slightly outside the GTA. Going to be called at the end of the month, SP has expressed interest in hiring me back and would like to negotiate terms of employment. 

Problem is, I have absolutely zero concept of what I should put forth. I dont want to be unreasonable but also dont want to sell myself short. Can anyone offer some advice on salary, bonuses or billables for a similar position?

• Like 1

Similar to what? You haven't told us anything about the position (other than it's a sole outside Toronto). 

What type of work would you be doing? 

• Like 1

It's a general practice with a focus on real estate and wills/estates, but some crim and civil lit as well. I believe SP is looking to retire over the next couple years so my job would be dealing with anything existing clients bring though the door, as well as trying to bring in some of my own of course.

Beyond that, I dont know a lot of details yet of what SP is expecting. Just cant find a lot of information regarding articling students being hired back by SPs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doubleclap said:

It's a general practice with a focus on real estate and wills/estates, but some crim and civil lit as well.

I believe that is called "door law"

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, doubleclap said:

It's a general practice with a focus on real estate and wills/estates, but some crim and civil lit as well. I believe SP is looking to retire over the next couple years so my job would be dealing with anything existing clients bring though the door, as well as trying to bring in some of my own of course.

Beyond that, I dont know a lot of details yet of what SP is expecting. Just cant find a lot of information regarding articling students being hired back by SPs. 

These arrangements are most often some sort of fee split. 

There are many ways of structuring this, but keeping 40% of what you bill is common. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, doubleclap said:

A little background......currently articling for an SP slightly outside the GTA. Going to be called at the end of the month, SP has expressed interest in hiring me back and would like to negotiate terms of employment. 

Problem is, I have absolutely zero concept of what I should put forth. I dont want to be unreasonable but also dont want to sell myself short. Can anyone offer some advice on salary, bonuses or billables for a similar position?

It's hard to offer advice on stuff like this. So much is specific/personal to that person or location. 

Generally, if possible, I would say try to get guaranteed money (salary) or as high of a base salary as possible. It's nice to have a floor. You might not be bringing in much business initially. 

If you are being employed by a PC doing whatever-comes-in-the-door law outside of the GTA, something like a 50-60k base salary + maybe some type of bonus or fee-split upside on top of that is probably not uncommon or egregious for a new call, in the first year.

Some people who are on keep what you kill structures might make a lot less than that starting out. 

Really if the senior is legitimately retiring in a year or two and you might be taking over, provided you are not a complete doofus who the existing clients dislike, your income over the next couple of years might not be as important as simply gaining experience and entrenching yourself in the market and solidifying yourself as the senior's successor.  

Edited by BringBackCrunchBerries
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, doubleclap said:

Get a good sense of what the going market rate is for new calls in your field is. Put together a proposal based on those figures + what you bring to the table. Be confident in what you’re asking and why you’re asking for it. 

Someone on this site started the following guide check it out:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q0PlAak6NiOfRZDAREY2JmURN_ZjIxXXXHJiUdS67NE

I’d also look into the Robert half legal salary guide. It’s not bad and has Canada specific info. Good luck!

• Thanks 1