AlpacaWhisperer

Queens v Alberta while waiting for waitlist

So I am torn between Queens and Alberta

I am currently waiting for UBC/UVIC but I am not holding out much hope and need to choose between the two. I eventually want to live and work in Vancouver, and I am leaning towards Queens due to an event I attended where I got to meet a bunch if interesting people, but am very interested in Alberta because the interactions I have had thus far with ambassadors and staff have been so positive.

As far as my research goes, the tuition seems to be similar between Alberta and Queens, and climate is similar as well. Alberta is a bit closer to home but its not close enough to make a huge difference compared to going to Queens. Everything else in terms of atmosphere etc I hold the two fairly equal. 

The only thing is, Ive attended a Queens welcome event and loved it. The Alberta event doesn't happen for another two weeks, and the second deposit is due soon. 

Alberta is good about emailing to keep students up to date on deadlines, to do items etc, but Queens is....a little less responsive when I email, and the website/info page is also not as helpful. 

I have read and re-read the comparisons in this forum many times now, but does anyone have any insight? 

Thanks! 

39 minutes ago, AlpacaWhisperer said:

As far as my research goes, the tuition seems to be similar between Alberta and Queens, and climate is similar as well. Alberta is a bit closer to home but its not close enough to make a huge difference compared to going to Queens. Everything else in terms of atmosphere etc I hold the two fairly equal. 

The only thing is, Ive attended a Queens welcome event and loved it. The Alberta event doesn't happen for another two weeks, and the second deposit is due soon. 

Alberta is good about emailing to keep students up to date on deadlines, to do items etc, but Queens is....a little less responsive when I email, and the website/info page is also not as helpful. 

I don't consider them "similar" in terms of tuition.  I would guess it is about $13,000 versus about $22,000.  I'm not sure about the comparative cost of living. 

I also wouldn't underestimate how much closer Alberta is.  Edmonton is a direct flight to Vancouver.  It is a pain in the ass to get anywhere outside of Ontario or Quebec from Kingston.

I wouldn't really factor in admissions office response times and a discrepancy in the websites into the decision.

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 3

U of A for sure if you want to practice in Vancouver. Tuition is also not similar at all. Queens is at least 20K, while U of A is ~12K.  Im unsure if you attended the deans welcome at U of A at the end of March, but this event would have been more akin to what you attended at Queens. If your hoping the event held in Vancouver is anything like that, you will definitely be let down. I attended last year and it was literally just a social event where you eat and chat with the firms lawyers and your classmates. 

I also dont think you should underestimate the distance and cost of traveling between Kingston  and Vancouver and Edmonton and Vancouver. Even an hour on a plane makes a big difference, but were talkin like 3+ hours difference. 

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 1

I completely agree with everyone's points! 

In terms of the distance and cost of travelling, I am leaning towards Alberta. Those tiny planes from Pearson to Kingston scare the living daylights out of me.

As an aside, how is the housing situation at Alberta? I have yet to delve into the market. 

3 hours ago, AlpacaWhisperer said:

I completely agree with everyone's points! 

In terms of the distance and cost of travelling, I am leaning towards Alberta. Those tiny planes from Pearson to Kingston scare the living daylights out of me.

As an aside, how is the housing situation at Alberta? I have yet to delve into the market. 

I did a bit of research last year and if you want to live close to campus, it's roughly $1000/month for a 1-bedroom apartment. Garneau Towers is a short walk to campus and tends to fill up in August. If you grab a suite in July, you'll likely avoid the waitlist. Alternatively, I heard a place downtown, near an LRT stop, isn't a bad choice either. Key is to avoid being outdoors as much as possible in the winter.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 1

I decided to take U of A while I wait for the UBC waitlist as well. There are some really nice studio apartments 5 minute walk from the law centre for around 1200$. You can find rooms for quite a bit cheaper in the same area. Basically the farther you go from campus the cheaper rent gets. Good luck with the waitlist and your choice between U of A and Queens!

Edited by KJR
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, KJR said:

I decided to take U of A while I wait for the UBC waitlist as well. There are some really nice studio apartments 5 minute walk from the law centre for around 1200$. You can find rooms for quite a bit cheaper in the same area. Basically the farther you go from campus the cheaper rent gets. Good luck with the waitlist and your choice between U of A and Queens!

I have not begun the housing search yet, but these studios have peaked my interest haha. What are the names of the building(s)? 

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 1

I was looking at "Windsor Lofts" they look nice but they require a 15 month lease. I took a residence apartment that isn't as nice but the lease is shorter. It was a tough choice because the studios, and building they're in, are so much nicer than residence.

• Like 1

I actually disagree, money aside, I think you should go for Queens.

A number of people from Queens place in Vancouver every year, and at the big firms - I know its a bit of hassle getting out of Kingston with train/bus - but you only do it for in-firms. However, the main advantage of Queens is that in addition to getting a job in Van, it also opens up the entire Toronto market. You may not want the TO market right away, but it is the largest legal market in Canada, and you never know what you may want in the future - lots of things change when you go into law school - even if you start in Van, I think it is easier to come back to Toronto having gone to Queens (this is even more true vice-versa, really easy to start in TO and land in Van later on - firms in Van are known for having a soft spot for ex-Torontonians). Every few years, one or two people from AB may manage to get into the TO market, but its rare and infrequent.

Just my opinion - although, I do appreciate that financial concerns are not an insignificant factor, and going to Queen's may be more expensive

Edited by johnalm
  • Like 1

I am confused as to why possibly improved access to the Toronto market is that big an advantage. The Calgary/Alberta market is also big and not quite as competitive. Paying $30,000+ to have access to something you don't want is foolish and silly. 

I went to UofA even though I got into UBC. I am currently practicing at a litigation boutique in downtown Vancouver. I know quite a few people from my class who are working in Vancouver. The number of people in my law school class who even applied to Toronto was minuscule. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mal said:

I am confused as to why possibly improved access to the Toronto market is that big an advantage. The Calgary/Alberta market is also big and not quite as competitive. Paying $30,000+ to have access to something you don't want is foolish and silly. 

I went to UofA even though I got into UBC. I am currently practicing at a litigation boutique in downtown Vancouver. I know quite a few people from my class who are working in Vancouver. The number of people in my law school class who even applied to Toronto was minuscule. 

Just curious as to why you choose UofA over UBC ?

7 minutes ago, Smorr53 said:

Just curious as to why you choose UofA over UBC ?

A few different reasons, predominantly because I got into UBC over the summer and had already made plans and I wanted to move away for law school. I commuted to SFU for my undergrad and wanted something different.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for their input! I will say that although I will consider the Toronto market, it is very very unlikely that I will go if there is any way that I can live and work in Vancouver, as my entire family is in Vancouver. 

I do agree with Mal, the most important thing holding me back from Queens right now is the cost, I cannot quite justify the 30k in additional costs when I can be closer to home, and my (hopefully) future workplace.

I am preeeetty sure UBC is a no go at this point, the waitlist has not moved for a month, and not only that, they have slotted more people in so I was told it is possible to move back a waitlist position.

I am also heavily considering the possibility of transferring back to UBC after 1st year. Again, my entire family is here, and with elderly grandparents who are unable to travel, it may be best to stay close to home. 

• Like 1

Not to hijack this thread, but as a fellow Vancouverite hopeful, is there a clear choice in terms of picking a school like TRU over some other further options (i.e. Ottawa, Dalhousie, etc)? What would folks recommend? Thanks!

6 hours ago, MB350 said:

Not to hijack this thread, but as a fellow Vancouverite hopeful, is there a clear choice in terms of picking a school like TRU over some other further options (i.e. Ottawa, Dalhousie, etc)? What would folks recommend? Thanks!

If you want to work in BC pick TRU.

For me these are such clear cut decisions. I would NOT pay Ontario tuition unless I planned on practicing in Ontario. I also wouldn’t want the hassle and expense of having to cross multiple provinces, even if only a few times per year. 

UofA was a good pick for OP. 

Tru is a good pick for @MB350 

• Like 1