Sign in to follow this  
Albertan

Incoming Student fall 2019

Hello everyone,

I am a new student going to Windsor at the end o August moving there from very very far away. After the offer, my email was very quiet, does anyone know when I should prepare for things like housing, course enrollment, and other stuff.

For housing, the information I know that Kijiji ads are mostly for June and the student dorms are very expensive, anyone has a suggestion on where/when to start?

Thanks, 

• Like 1

Hey, 

I'm moving from BC. I found a place through Kijiji. I had just been scanning the ads regularly. I was going to rent an extra month in July just to secure a place but ended up finding one that started mid August. So my suggestion is keep an eye out there. Also avoid Marda. They were awful and rude when I spoke with them. 

As for course enrollment I believe we dont have to first year. I'm under the impression we get registered by the school. I could be wrong but when I was reading the handbook for the MSW/JD program that's what I got from it. I know you can check your uwinsite and at the top where it says applicant click it should drop down and there should be a student option if your account is activated. Mine is not yet. Not sure if others are. 

We will also be receiving a welcome package in the beginning of August through mail with more info I believe. 

21 hours ago, Socialworklaw said:

Hey, 

I'm moving from BC. I found a place through Kijiji. I had just been scanning the ads regularly. I was going to rent an extra month in July just to secure a place but ended up finding one that started mid August. So my suggestion is keep an eye out there. Also avoid Marda. They were awful and rude when I spoke with them. 

As for course enrollment I believe we dont have to first year. I'm under the impression we get registered by the school. I could be wrong but when I was reading the handbook for the MSW/JD program that's what I got from it. I know you can check your uwinsite and at the top where it says applicant click it should drop down and there should be a student option if your account is activated. Mine is not yet. Not sure if others are. 

We will also be receiving a welcome package in the beginning of August through mail with more info I believe. 

Thanks for the info, I guess August is a better time to worry about these things. 

On 5/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, Albertan said:

Thanks for the info, I guess August is a better time to worry about these things. 

Hi Albertan,

I am making the move from BC in August. I'm going to do as Socialworklaw suggests and look for renting a place on Kijiji, sooner rather than later. I was looking earlier in May but not many spaces were available starting July. However, that should change in the coming days/weeks imo.

My student account is activated and it *seems* I have the ability to pick my courses, but I would like some guidance prior to doing so. I am under the assumption that the school registers us as well, but I'm going to continue researching to be certain.

Congrats you two and looking forward to meeting everyone in August.

22 hours ago, stroodel22 said:

Hi Albertan,

I am making the move from BC in August. I'm going to do as Socialworklaw suggests and look for renting a place on Kijiji, sooner rather than later. I was looking earlier in May but not many spaces were available starting July. However, that should change in the coming days/weeks imo.

My student account is activated and it *seems* I have the ability to pick my courses, but I would like some guidance prior to doing so. I am under the assumption that the school registers us as well, but I'm going to continue researching to be certain.

Hey Stroodel22, 

It's nice to know there are people in the same boat, looking forward to meeting you guys too!

On 5/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, stroodel22 said:

Hi Albertan,

You won’t pick your own courses. The first year single JD Program is split into 3 sections (based on last name) and all courses are assigned based on that- there is 0 selection. 

If you have any questions feel free to msg me! I’m a 2L and am pretty involved in welcoming the incoming class. Would be happy to answer any questions you have. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WindsorHopeful said:

You won’t pick your own courses. The first year single JD Program is split into 3 sections (based on last name) and all courses are assigned based on that- there is 0 selection. 

If you have any questions feel free to msg me! I’m a 2L and am pretty involved in welcoming the incoming class. Would be happy to answer any questions you have. 

Do you know when we will get our schedules?

12 hours ago, WindsorHopeful said:

Thank you WindsorHopeful! Appreciate the clarification.

11 hours ago, astrath said:

Do you know when we will get our schedules?

No way to be sure but last year we received ours around the first week of August! classes are usually Monday-Friday

1 hour ago, WindsorHopeful said:

No way to be sure but last year we received ours around the first week of August! classes are usually Monday-Friday

Do we need our schedule/registration for courses to get our certificate of enrollment?  I ask because I've been approved for the SLoC and need some proof of enrollment to finalize it. 

19 minutes ago, Socialworklaw said:

Do we need our schedule/registration for courses to get our certificate of enrollment?  I ask because I've been approved for the SLoC and need some proof of enrollment to finalize it. 

I wasn’t able to access mine until the end of July last year- I secured my loc earlier then just signed the papers the end of July. Unsure of what to do if you need the money earlier sadly! 

12 hours ago, WindsorHopeful said:

I wasn’t able to access mine until the end of July last year- I secured my loc earlier then just signed the papers the end of July. Unsure of what to do if you need the money earlier sadly! 

Ah end of July is fine! I just will likely need it for the move. Thank you for the info.