Sign in to follow this  
chicolate

Canadian studying in US Law School?

Any Canadian students here that studied at a US law school? I would really appreciate your input on any challenges you faced getting jobs during the summer!

Posted (edited)

I spent a couple days at a low T1 law school in the US before leaving to come back to Canada and apply for this current cycle. 

Your success depends on what school you attend, it’s location (in terms of a given legal market), and your ability to do well in law school. You should consider that the US legal market, as a whole, is heavily saturated in comparison to Canada. From what I’ve been told, jobs can be hard to come by — even if your a US citizen with ties to a given area. You should also consider the immigration system in the USA, which is family (not skills) based and therefore harder to break into even if you do well in law school. Firms will most likely look at you different if you’re not a US citizen or a PR — you’ll haft to stand out. To be eligible for work, you’ll need to get a firm to sponsor you for a H1B which is quite costly, and as such, not a small favor on the part of the firm or you’ll need to use the TN visa under NAFTA. I’m not sure how firms will view a foreigner working on a TN. I’m a little more pessimistic in this regard as well. 

In my case, I came back home after attending orientation because the risks seemed to far outpace the potential rewards. I wasn’t at a T14 and neither was I in a large legal market like LA, New York, Houston, Chicago, Washington DC, etc. Even though I was given a full tuition scholarship +, I didn’t like the feeling that it was highly possible, indeed perhaps probable, that I’d finish law school without a job in the USA and then hold a subpar law degree for use in Canada which would have to be upgraded via the NCAs. 

I agree with the general consensus on this topic, if you’re not going to a T14 school and you’re not a US citizen, don’t attend law school in the USA. You’ll hear stories of people who made it, but remember that there is an even larger number of people who didn’t and consider it a huge mistake. 

What school are you thinking about attending? 

Edited by Euroguy18
Word edit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I should also add that when I was getting ready to attend law school in the US, the admissions office put me in contact with another Canadian who, at that particular time, attended the school I was going to attend. He basically told me the same thing I just wrote in the previous comment. Indirectly telling me that he considered it a mistake to attend law school in the US as a non citizen, non PR. 

Edited by Euroguy18
Word edit