Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 5/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, RollMaster said:

That's the trade-off. More to do downtown and just an objectively better place to live than North York. But, it's a long commute. You'll have class Monday-Friday in 1L, so you need to seriously consider whether you're willing to spend 2 hours a day 5 days a week just getting to and from school. I know some people that managed to do it every day and others who gave up pretty early on in the school year because it's such a pain in the ass. That's 2 hours of your day where you could be doing other things. But I suppose you could do some readings on the TTC if you wanted.

To be honest as inconvenient as it was commuting from downtown, the subway forced me to read during that time. By the end of the year it was the ONLY time I did any readings. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I applied for York housing and osgoode chambers was my first choice but unfortunately I didn't get it. I was offered an apartment at Passy which was my second option. 

Q1: Just wondering if you could speak on how it is either based of your experience of someone you know.

Q2: I am interested in going into International & human Rights law. How hard/competitive is it to get into the International and Transnational Law Intensive Program?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mmkk said:

Hi! I applied for York housing and osgoode chambers was my first choice but unfortunately I didn't get it. I was offered an apartment at Passy which was my second option. 

 Q1: Just wondering if you could speak on how it is either based of your experience of someone you know.

 Q2: I am interested in going into International & human Rights law. How hard/competitive is it to get into the International and Transnational Law Intensive Program?

  

Doesn't Passy = osgoode chambers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mmkk said:

Hi! I applied for York housing and osgoode chambers was my first choice but unfortunately I didn't get it. I was offered an apartment at Passy which was my second option. 

Q1: Just wondering if you could speak on how it is either based of your experience of someone you know.

Q2: I am interested in going into International & human Rights law. How hard/competitive is it to get into the International and Transnational Law Intensive Program?

 

Passy is the entire complex with several buildings. Certain buildings within Passy are "Osgoode Chambers", meaning only Osgoode students live in that specific building e.g. Passy 14 and 16 are Osgoode Chambers. If you live in Osgoode Chambers, you necessarily are in Passy. If you live in Passy, you may not be in Osgoode Chambers. It makes no difference though.

I'm unfamiliar with that specific intensive, however, in general, they are super competitive. If you don't get in it for 2L, you can always try again in 3L. Sorry I can't speak more to that one in particular - maybe someone else here has some experience with it.

54 minutes ago, thedraper said:

Doesn't Passy = osgoode chambers?

Yes ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for doing this.

Which extracurriculars are available for 2Ls if they don't get into a clinic?

Edited by jayoh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jayoh said:

Thanks for doing this.

Which extracurriculars are available for 2Ls if they don't get into a clinic?

What do you mean by ECs? That's a fairly broad word in general, especially with Oz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jayoh said:

Thanks for doing this.

Which extracurriculars are available for 2Ls if they don't get into a clinic?

Tons. PBSC, various different clubs, moots, judging moots, student caucus, legal & lit, etc. There's something for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Tons. PBSC, various different clubs, moots, judging moots, student caucus, legal & lit, etc. There's something for everyone.

I see. From what you know/seen/heard, how competitive are clinical positions and the business law intensive for upper year students?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

What do you mean by ECs? That's a fairly broad word in general, especially with Oz

What I mean by extracurriculars are those activities which relate most directly to the practice of law. Clinics, intensives, etc (not school sports, culture clubs, etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jayoh said:

What I mean by extracurriculars are those activities which relate most directly to the practice of law. Clinics, intensives, etc (not school sports, culture clubs, etc)

Yeah I agree with Roll above. Tbf, you'll likely get something on campus. It may not necessarily be your first choice - especially with CLASP and Parkdale - but there are a LOT of opportunities. 

Something to look into early, RA positions are pretty fantastic and some run during the school year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Yeah I agree with Roll above. Tbf, you'll likely get something on campus. It may not necessarily be your first choice - especially with CLASP and Parkdale - but there are a LOT of opportunities. 

Something to look into early, RA positions are pretty fantastic and some run during the school year. 

Appreciate the response.

Since you've been so helpful, do you also have any idea how bursaries work? I've read Oz's website and searched thru this forum but I'm having a hard time coming across info that could help me estimate how much I could expect to receive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jayoh said:

Appreciate the response.

Since you've been so helpful, do you also have any idea how bursaries work? I've read Oz's website and searched thru this forum but I'm having a hard time coming across info that could help me estimate how much I could expect to receive

Tbh, no idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jayoh said:

Thanks for doing this.

Which extracurriculars are available for 2Ls if they don't get into a clinic?

 

4 hours ago, RollMaster said:

Tons. PBSC, various different clubs, moots, judging moots, student caucus, legal & lit, etc. There's something for everyone.

- A number of students have posts at clinics in the city so don't give up hope if you don't get a clinic post on campus. 

- The moots are even harder to get than clinics because there's so few people per team. I also suspect they're grade - based but my evidence is only circumstantial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Depends on the clinic.

Can you tell me which ones are semester-by-semester?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Do you have access to my osgoode?

Nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jayoh said:

Nope

From what I recall the full year ones include investor protection, business and CLASP. There are a couple more full year clinics and a decent number of half year ones. That said, the length of the clinic should not be a factor in deciding which clinic to apply to or accept an offer from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

 

- A number of students have posts at clinics in the city so don't give up hope if you don't get a clinic post on campus. 

- The moots are even harder to get than clinics because there's so few people per team. I also suspect they're grade - based but my evidence is only circumstantial. 

I think you’re right. I should’ve clarified though - I meant the random moots and negotiation things that anyone can just sign up for 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • Yes. There is a 'tryout' process, or at least there was (new) last year, but it is very easy. We had to read a journal article, answer some questions about it, and perform some citations work pursuant to the McGill Guide (legal citation guide) within a couple of days. It actually takes longer than you might think, but not long. Around 45 people made it on to law review, they wouldn't tell us how many 'tried out'. 
    • So you’re saying you didn’t work your ass off to get into university, maintain a high GPA, pass the LSAT, get into law school, maintain good grades in law school, kill articling interviews, work yourself to the grindstone during articling, pass the bar, and now you’re where you are? this whole “white privilege” discussion is total bullshit and nonsense. I don’t understand the guilt people have for being successful. And you shouldn’t be guilty for your parents having worked that hard to provide a good life for you as I’m sure you will for your kids. 
    • Maybe in some positions, but definitely not in others, including mine.  Unless I have court, I schedule whatever I want and do whatever I please. As long as the hours are there, no one cares. 
    • Work. I love having a schedule that I cannot miss for any reason and getting paid to adhere to it and work on practical, real-life matters. I love having that sense of direction too, as well as just knowing that no matter how small the task I'm working on is, it is still meaningful. I learn a lot more too and retain it far better. I want to wake up in the morning and get started on my day, whereas when I'm in school I constantly yearn for the weekend. I feel a lot more anxiety in school... I get a bit of anxiety at work too, but I think the stability and meaningfulness make it a lot easier to deal with. Getting paid and not having to worry about how I am going to pay the bills is also an added bonus, but I would probably prefer school if it was structurally more similar to a work environment and things were taught in a more hands-on, practical matter.
    • We did actually get an email from the Parkdale intensive back in March, i.e. after the clinic recruit, informing students that they still had unfilled spots so I actually got the sense that it wasn't a very popular clinic, for whatever reason. 
×
×
  • Create New...