Posted (edited)

Hey all,

First, shout outs to all the previous guys who’ve done this.

Second, as is the trend, here’s a mega thread for all you greasy incoming 1Ls. Feel free to post any questions you have about Osgoode, studying habits, living in North York, etc. Whatever you want. You can also PM me if you don’t want to post anything here. 

[Mod edit: last year’s thread is here]

Edited by Ryn
  • Like 8

Did you live in Osgoode chambers? If not, where? Have you come across any nice studios in the village?

53 minutes ago, thedraper said:

Did you live in Osgoode chambers? If not, where? Have you come across any nice studios in the village?

Yeah I did. I think the village is mainly populated with undergrads, so I didn’t bother to look. And I don’t know of anyone at osgoode who lived there, so I can’t speak to it. 

35 minutes ago, RollMaster said:

Yeah I did. I think the village is mainly populated with undergrads, so I didn’t bother to look. And I don’t know of anyone at osgoode who lived there, so I can’t speak to it.  

It does not look like many of us will be getting into chambers this year, do you know of any other place that many Oz students go?

Also, did you go with the legal theory seminar or one of the perspective options? The law and economics one sounds interesting.

22 minutes ago, thedraper said:

It does not look like many of us will be getting into chambers this year, do you know of any other place that many Oz students go?

Also, did you go with the legal theory seminar or one of the perspective options? The law and economics one sounds interesting.

That’s annoying. There’s no specific place I’ve heard of. I know some people that live right downtown, others who live along the subway line, and a lot of people just live at home. Keep in mind that the closer to downtown you get, the more expensive your rent is and the longer the commute. I’d start by looking at st Clair w area. 

Basically everyone I know went with a perspective option. There’s quite a few interesting ones so you’ll have some good options for sure. 

• Like 1

Do you feel like living in Osgoode Chambers was beneficial? Obviously it's cheap and close to school, but besides that. Wondering if it provides an enhanced opportunity to get to know some of your peers? Also, what is the social dynamic like in general? I chose Osgoode primarily because of the breadth...in experiential opportunities, course options, and then of actual student population. So I'm really hoping to make the most of that aspect :)

Posted (edited)

Lots of Osgoode students live at St Clair and Bathurst. St. Clair west subway station, busses, and streetcars are all right there and there's a big loblaws there as well. It's super easy to get to Osgoode or downtown! 

Edited by icecreamsandwich
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, vanhopeful95 said:

Do you feel like living in Osgoode Chambers was beneficial? Obviously it's cheap and close to school, but besides that. Wondering if it provides an enhanced opportunity to get to know some of your peers? Also, what is the social dynamic like in general? I chose Osgoode primarily because of the breadth...in experiential opportunities, course options, and then of actual student population. So I'm really hoping to make the most of that aspect :)

I’d say so. There’s a ton of 1Ls who live here, so you’re almost guaranteed to bump into somebody whenever you’re walking around. Social dynamic was good, especially for o week. The busses to all of the events left from here, so there was always a big pre in the owl’s nest. People pretty frequently used to go to the nest throughout the year too. Also, JCR nights every Wednesday meant you could just walk over whenever you wanted. 

That said, I don’t think you’re necessarily at a disadvantage in terms of meeting people if you don’t live here. Every pub night is downtown, so it’s actually even easier to hit those up if you don’t live on campus. You’re also on campus for class a lot, and so you’ll have plenty of chances to socialize, grab lunch, study in the library with people, etc during the days. 

The absolute best advantages though, as you mentioned, are price and convenience for class. 

2 hours ago, icecreamsandwich said:

Lots of Osgoode students live at St Clair and Bathurst. St. Clair west subway station, busses, and streetcars are all right there and there's a big loblaws there as well. It's super easy to get to Osgoode or downtown!  

The area looks nice, but how are prices for a one bedroom or studio? I can't seem to find many websites for buildings in that area.

@RollMaster I was under the impression (as well as many others I would assume) that 1Ls would very likely able to, if not guaranteed, secure a sport in Chambers. Did you find that was the case? Also, how early did you apply to Chambers to receive a spot? York housing said they are only just now sending offers to those who applied in March, which is sorta worrying.

2 hours ago, thedraper said:

The area looks nice, but how are prices for a one bedroom or studio? I can't seem to find many websites for buildings in that area.

@RollMaster I was under the impression (as well as many others I would assume) that 1Ls would very likely able to, if not guaranteed, secure a sport in Chambers. Did you find that was the case? Also, how early did you apply to Chambers to receive a spot? York housing said they are only just now sending offers to those who applied in March, which is sorta worrying.

Last year, that was the case. I don't recall anyone who applied by the deadline who did not get a spot.

I applied for it in February, and heard back around this time I think. Maybe June.  

On 5/23/2019 at 2:55 AM, RollMaster said:

I’d say so. There’s a ton of 1Ls who live here, so you’re almost guaranteed to bump into somebody whenever you’re walking around. Social dynamic was good, especially for o week. The busses to all of the events left from here, so there was always a big pre in the owl’s nest. People pretty frequently used to go to the nest throughout the year too. Also, JCR nights every Wednesday meant you could just walk over whenever you wanted. 

That said, I don’t think you’re necessarily at a disadvantage in terms of meeting people if you don’t live here. Every pub night is downtown, so it’s actually even easier to hit those up if you don’t live on campus. You’re also on campus for class a lot, and so you’ll have plenty of chances to socialize, grab lunch, study in the library with people, etc during the days. 

The absolute best advantages though, as you mentioned, are price and convenience for class. 

Oh I'm happy to hear that living outside the school doesn't mean being more difficult to make friends and missing a lot. 

(BTW I'm really curious about what are the JCR nights and pub nights?)

But will living in dt make me be at disadvantage because of the long commute time(near 50m one way by subway)?

And do I have to wait until the start of registration to apply for a subway student card? 

Thanks )

7 hours ago, Nachklang said:

(BTW I'm really curious about what are the JCR nights and pub nights?)

Not a 1L but was a while back. 

JCR nights are where the bar is open on campus. There’s usually music and pool and other activities. It’s in the same building as the school and during the day it’s the student lounge. Pub nights are organized by the social convenor for the student society (Legal & Lit) and they’re usually in a different bar every time somewhere in the city. Both take place once a week (Wednesday and Thursday, respectively).

And do I have to wait until the start of registration to apply for a subway student card? 

You need to have proof of enrolment and your class schedule, which I think you’ll already have before orientation. You can get a printout from York’s student information website. 

But will living in dt make me be at disadvantage because of the long commute time(near 50m one way by subway)?

That's the trade-off. More to do downtown and just an objectively better place to live than North York. But, it's a long commute. You'll have class Monday-Friday in 1L, so you need to seriously consider whether you're willing to spend 2 hours a day 5 days a week just getting to and from school. I know some people that managed to do it every day and others who gave up pretty early on in the school year because it's such a pain in the ass. That's 2 hours of your day where you could be doing other things. But I suppose you could do some readings on the TTC if you wanted.

@Nachklang I'll be living around Bloorcourt and commuting up to campus everyday--mostly because I already live here and have no interest in giving up my place. I've spoken to some friends who have done a similar trek to Osgoode and they've said the commute is not that bad. Because you are generally moving against the flow of traffic the trains aren't too crowded, you generally get a seat, and it's pretty easy to get reading done. Or so I'm told. Just something to consider!

14 minutes ago, LoblawLawBlog said:

Because you are generally moving against the flow of traffic the trains aren't too crowded, you generally get a seat,

Ah good point. This was not something I had really thought about.

12 hours ago, Ryn said:

Not a 1L but was a while back. 

JCR nights are where the bar is open on campus. There’s usually music and pool and other activities. It’s in the same building as the school and during the day it’s the student lounge. Pub nights are organized by the social convenor for the student society (Legal & Lit) and they’re usually in a different bar every time somewhere in the city. Both take place once a week (Wednesday and Thursday, respectively).

You need to have proof of enrolment and your class schedule, which I think you’ll already have before orientation. You can get a printout from York’s student information website. 

Thank you very much!

11 hours ago, RollMaster said:

That's the trade-off. More to do downtown and just an objectively better place to live than North York. But, it's a long commute. You'll have class Monday-Friday in 1L, so you need to seriously consider whether you're willing to spend 2 hours a day 5 days a week just getting to and from school. I know some people that managed to do it every day and others who gave up pretty early on in the school year because it's such a pain in the ass. That's 2 hours of your day where you could be doing other things. But I suppose you could do some readings on the TTC if you wanted.

Yeah I know long commute could be really annoying and even a total waste of time. But a friend of my parents can let me live in her condo(located in dt) for free so I have decided to live in there to save some money. In other words, I have to chose commute since I‘m a little poor.

I guess I can only try to study on the subway to make up the loss causing by the long commute. But is there a 4G network signal on TTC? If not, it could be really boring......

8 hours ago, LoblawLawBlog said:

@Nachklang I'll be living around Bloorcourt and commuting up to campus everyday--mostly because I already live here and have no interest in giving up my place. I've spoken to some friends who have done a similar trek to Osgoode and they've said the commute is not that bad. Because you are generally moving against the flow of traffic the trains aren't too crowded, you generally get a seat, and it's pretty easy to get reading done. Or so I'm told. Just something to consider!

Wow, it's really a great news that we may move agains the traffic and the subway won't be so crowded. It will make subway a better place to do our own things.

Hope I can handle the long commute!

8 hours ago, Nachklang said:

Yeah I know long commute could be really annoying and even a total waste of time. But a friend of my parents can let me live in her condo(located in dt) for free so I have decided to live in there to save some money. In other words, I have to chose commute since I‘m a little poor.

I guess I can only try to study on the subway to make up the loss causing by the long commute. But is there a 4G network signal on TTC? If not, it could be really boring......

If you’re getting free rent downtown... you suck it up and make that commute lol.

Lot of places where you don’t have connection at all and some where you do. You’ll get used to it. 

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 9:14 PM, RollMaster said:

If you’re getting free rent downtown... you suck it up and make that commute lol.

Lot of places where you don’t have connection at all and some where you do. You’ll get used to it. 

Haha, I can only manage to get used to it anyway. Thank you so much!