Indlaw

Osgoode vs UC Irvine

On 5/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, TheAEGIS said:

Hmm... 

You want to work in US big law because of the higher starting salaries, but you only want to work there for two years before moving back to Canada to make less money. And it would cost you almost double what it would in Canada to study in the US. So your higher American starting salary will go towards paying off your higher American law school debt. And then you have to deal with NCA requirements to transfer your degree back to Canada. Or you could go to a Canadian law school, owe less money, make less money and not have to worry about transferring degrees down the line ... 

The most obvious issue with your plan is that your employment post-degree is not guaranteed. And your options seem like they hinge on landing a highly paid law gig. Look, it's fine to have big law, either in the US or Canada as a goal, but if your plan doesn't work unless you're earning the very highest salaries out the gate, I'd advise to pick a new one.

Also is your engineering degree from India? I don't know how much of a leg up that will give you with Canadian or US firms. An engineering degree can be an asset for a lawyer, but the profession tends to be biased in favour of North American degrees.

Cc Indian engineering degree: assuming op's admission to great schools also translates to having gone to a great Indian engineering school, his degree would be way more valuable compared to a Canadian engineering degree. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yeezy said:

Cc Indian engineering degree: assuming op's admission to great schools also translates to having gone to a great Indian engineering school, his degree would be way more valuable compared to a Canadian engineering degree. 

Hmm. I think this will come down to how familiar the prospective employer is with the school, regardless of what reputation it has in India. You're assuming a Canadian law firm will be able to appropriately evaluate OP's engineering degree from another country, and then determine that its actually better than a Canadian engineering degree. Maybe an engineering firm familiar with OP's university could make this call, your average Bay Street shop hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of figuring that one out though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAEGIS said:

Hmm. I think this will come down to how familiar the prospective employer is with the school, regardless of what reputation it has in India. You're assuming a Canadian law firm will be able to appropriately evaluate OP's engineering degree from another country, and then determine that its actually better than a Canadian engineering degree. Maybe an engineering firm familiar with OP's university could make this call, your average Bay Street shop hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of figuring that one out though.

I mean if someone is specifically hiring for a student with an engineering background, it isn't hard to imagine that seeing an Indian undergrad degree might result in a Google search or two about said university. Siliconvalley firms literally prioritize hiring from places like the Indian institutes of technology...

4 minutes ago, yeezy said:

I mean if someone is specifically hiring for a student with an engineering background, it isn't hard to imagine that seeing an Indian undergrad degree might result in a Google search or two about said university. Siliconvalley firms literally prioritize hiring from places like the Indian institutes of technology...

Sure. Silicon valley firms would. Bay street firms, not so much. Silicon valley firms built expertise in recruiting outside of North America because of the degree of specialization in some of the fields, and because demand for those roles outstrips North American supplies. That's not the case with the type of work the OP is looking to get into. We have plenty of very skilled, very qualified, Canadian and American-trained lawyers for that. And I don't get the sense that the patent or IP field, which tend to recruit lawyers with engineering undergrads are hurting for candidates.

Also we're talking about an industry that hasn't quite gotten it's head around non-T-25 US law schools here. And those are law schools on the same continent as the firms. I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to figure out which Indian engineering school is better than which Canadian engineering school when that's not even the primary criteria they're looking at. 

On 5/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, mazzystar said:

I know nothing of working in IP Law Toronto directly but @TheScientist101 is currently in that industry. Going to page him for some input.

As far as I know Bay Street IP firms would be unlikely to "value" an Indian Engineering degree over a US or Canadian one. 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, TheScientist101 said:

As far as I know Bay Street IP firms would be unlikely to "value" an Indian Engineering degree over a US or Canadian one. 

I think the concern is whether Bay Street may value a UC-Irvine law degree over an Osgoode one in the future, but you are probably correct.