andrewhl

U Alberta vs U windsor Dual

Posted (edited)

Hi

I'm still debating where should I go for law school, or should I go at all.

My wife and my kids have to stay in Toronto for multiple reasons so it will be only me who is moving.

Right now I am interested in the immigration business after law school. I've thought it for some time ever since I immigrated to North America. But I am still open to other fields such as real state if I feel I can do well.

Windsor Dual:

Pro: close to Toronto, 1-hour flight to downtown central island airport, which is about 10 min drive from my home.

It is an Ontario law school, so would be easier for me because I plan to stay in the GTA area at least until our elder kid goes to college, which will be another 10 years.

Con: Extra US course workload

Not being able to go back to Toronto for the first summer

The inconvenience of the board crossing (I am a Permanent Resident so I am not qualified for nexus yet)

regular board crossing also may have an impact on my future citizenship application because immigration authorities have to make sure I stay long enough in Canada, with a weekly board crossing travel history it will be a huge headache and probably delays the process.

almost 50k/year tuition

U Alberta:

Pro: more affordable tuition

a decent reputation in west Canada,( not sure how it works out in Toronto though)

No need to apply US F1 visa/No border crossing issue

Con: 5-hour flight home and 3-hour jet lag

Not an Ontario law school 

The last option for me is to give up law school for now. I have thought simply giving up law school and go for an Immigrant consultant diploma program, which usually only last a few months and can let me write an exam to be a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants. It's cheaper, faster, easier and I don't have to be long distance with my family.

The downside is that I won't be allowed to advocate on clients' behalf in the court, in the event that it is required. But with processing paperwork for clients, I don't think there is much difference. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by andrewhl

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don’t think you should go at all with either of those situations as they are now. Crossing the border as a PR without Nexus is a huge headache and not worth the hassle it could cause you with applying for citizenship. Windsor Dual is expensive and not as highly regarded as the other schools/programs. If you intend to stay in the Toronto area, U of A is not a good choice either as it will be harder to network, apply for jobs, etc. With either option, flying back and forth to see your family will drain you and take away from your law school experience - much more so with U of A. 

I would do the immigration consultant thing and work a couple of years and consider applying to law school as a mature student with work experience - if relevant, try to improve your LSAT and materials in that time. 

Edit: you could also try applying to Ryerson for next year....

Edited by providence
  • Like 1

U of A.

1. The money you save on tuition can be used for flights (if you want to go back and forth which, as Providence said, is very draining). Jetlag is negligible and you can study/work during the flight/at the airport. Shit, the money you save on tuition can be used to meet your family at an all inclusive in Cuba a few times a year...
  2. Good reputation in Canada in general. People place in Toronto (if they want to) and you wouldn't have any issue establishing a connection in TO and being a flight risk.
  3. In the event that you want to work in AB, you're in a less saturated market.

Yeah, I'd hold off on going to Windsor for the dual program. The 4 hour commutes back and forth from Toronto by car are draining, and if you're flying, it'll be expensive. The dual also costs more per year than UofT. And UofT is ridiculously expensive! It's likely going to be hard repaying that much debt quickly if you want to work in immigration. You'll be underwater for a while since you also have a family to care for, unless you're a person of significant means in which case, good for you. But also, your border crossing sounds like it'll be a nightmare with what's been going on down south. We've had students with PRs denied entry.

I agree with @providence, Ryerson will be opening up a new law school starting in the fall of 2020. From what I can tell, new law schools tend to have somewhat relaxed admissions standards for their inaugural class, so if your stats aren't great, that should be your aim. It's in the city so you don't have to leave your family. But anything you can do to improve your stats in the meantime will be a benefit.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input

Right now I'm inclined to U of A. 

I have no interest in practising in the U.S. so the Dual JD's U.S. course workload is just unnecessary.

As for the tuition, I can afford it without debt but I certainly don't want to throw that money away. I could have spent the extra 20k per year on several vacations or do a few renovations on my house.

P.S.: I am still waiting to hear back from other Ontario law schools but if none of them came in, I'd have to make the decision.

Edited by andrewhl

25 minutes ago, andrewhl said:

Thanks for the input

Right now I'm inclined to U of A. 

I have no interest in practising in the U.S. so the Dual JD's U.S. course workload is just unnecessary.

As for the tuition, I can afford it without debt but I certainly don't want to throw that money away. I could have spent the extra 20k per year on several vacations or do a few renovations on my house.

P.S.: I am still waiting to hear back from other Ontario law schools but if none of them came in, I'd have to make the decision.

U of A is ~13k/yr. You're looking at a difference of ~35k/yr (at current exchange rate). A total difference of over 6 figures for an education that has a curriculum you won't be using.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, setto said:

U of A is ~13k/yr. You're looking at a difference of ~35k/yr (at current exchange rate). A total difference of over 6 figures for an education that has a curriculum you won't be using.

Yeah my mistake. I was looking at the international student category on the UoA website. Still haven't got used to the fact that I am a Canadian applicant now. lol