Just got an email update that my application status has changed. Logged in to see that I had been rejected.

gpa with drops 3.4

LSAT 164

Mature student with 5+ years working in the legal field. Excellent LORs.

ontario resident

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry to see it. I think you have a competitive enough stats to UNB so wonder if you can ask them to give the reason for the rejection. Cheers!

BTW does UNB allow appeal for the application? 

Edited by huskybins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, huskybins said:

Sorry to see it. I think you have a competitive enough stats to UNB so wonder if you can ask them to give the reason for the rejection. Cheers!

3.4 with drops is not really that competitive, and UNB weights GPA more than LSAT so it is not enough to just have a good LSAT score. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, clevermoose said:

3.4 with drops is not really that competitive, and UNB weights GPA more than LSAT so it is not enough to just have a good LSAT score. 

Cool. Thanks. Boy, you have some great contributions to this forum, don't you?

Edited by Linaelm
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, huskybins said:

BTW does UNB allow appeal for the application? 

Thank you for your kind words! I have an acceptance this cycle, so I'll be okay.  I'm not sure to be honest... though it really doesn't seem worth it for me. 

I was shocked to see this rejection with your stats😱 . I know they weigh GPA 60 and LSAT 40, but I thought 164 would compensate for a lower GPA, considering the percentile for 164 is 16% higher than their median (158). 

Guess it is time for me to start preparing a rewrite and reapply next cycle😰 ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OffersPlease said:

Guess it is time for me to start preparing a rewrite and reapply next cycle😰 ...

Are you a Maritime resident? 

Honestly,  I wouldn't give up just yet! I seem to be the only person who has been rejected (that I've seen anyway), so it doesn't look like they've made all the decisions quite yet. Best of luck to you!

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Linaelm said:

Are you a Maritime resident? 

Honestly,  I wouldn't give up just yet! I seem to be the only person who has been rejected (that I've seen anyway), so it doesn't look like they've made all the decisions quite yet. Best of luck to you!

Unfortunately I am not☹️. I doubt if I still have a chance since they are rejecting people with 3.4/164 as well as decent softs IMO. But yeah I will stay positive and wait for the final decision. 

Congrats on your acceptance elsewhere and good luck with law school! 

Edited by OffersPlease
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:56 PM, clevermoose said:

I can see that you're going to be a real hit with your law school classmates already

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Newfoundlaw said:

I can see that you're going to be a real hit with your law school classmates already

there's nothing wrong with what was said, they're simply stating the admission criteria

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2019 at 8:24 AM, Linaelm said:

Just got an email update that my application status has changed. Logged in to see that I had been rejected.

gpa with drops 3.4

LSAT 164

Mature student with 5+ years working in the legal field. Excellent LORs.

ontario resident

What was your status updated to? If you don't mind me asking

Edited by lawyor
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Newfoundlaw said:

I mean it clearly wasn't competitive since OP was rejected... and the posted average score is 3.7

Apparently people are upset by facts. 

1 hour ago, clevermoose said:

I mean it clearly wasn't competitive since OP was rejected... and the posted average score is 3.7

No one is upset by facts, but dude, I was already rejected, so no need to restate that my stats aren't good enough. I feel like what was abrasive about your post didn't need an explanation, but based on your history on this forum you seem to have a tough time interacting with people in a non-offensive way. Definitely something to work on during your time at law school. Best of luck to you, clevermoose.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, lawyor said:

What was your status updated to? If you don't mind me asking

I don't mind at all. Under status, it says:

"I regret to advise you that upon review of your application we will not be offering you admission in the upcoming academic year. An official letter will be mailed to you shortly."

13 minutes ago, Linaelm said:

I don't mind at all. Under status, it says:

"I regret to advise you that upon review of your application we will not be offering you admission in the upcoming academic year. An official letter will be mailed to you shortly."

Thanks for your reply and I’m sorry that you didn’t get in. I hope you get into your next choice. Stats aren’t everything; determination and perseverance is what matters most!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Linaelm said:

No one is upset by facts, but dude, I was already rejected, so no need to restate that my stats aren't good enough. I feel like what was abrasive about your post didn't need an explanation, but based on your history on this forum you seem to have a tough time interacting with people in a non-offensive way. Definitely something to work on during your time at law school. Best of luck to you, clevermoose.

Sorry you found my posts offensive. I am ESL so can seem a bit abrasive. 

On 5/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, clevermoose said:

On 5/29/2019 at 4:10 PM, Linaelm said:

You are aware that the AVERAGE is 3.7 right, clevermoose? So people with both higher and lower GPA's get in. Hell, it is not impossible for people to have GPA's around 3.0 get in to UNB (esp. if they have a good LSAT score).

Hell, I'm living proof of this. My GPA was a little higher than 3.4, but lower than 3.7 and my LSAT was considerably lower than 164 but I just finished my first year at UNB Law (note that I do have the Newfoundland thing working for me, but that is by no means a guaranteed ticket into the University). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Clevermoose, please stop pretending to be some sort of expert on the admissions process when in reality you know a marginal amount - and certainly not enough to give anyone advice on the matter. 

Furthermore (and I cannot stress this enough), try to exercise some sense of decorum when talking to people. Perhaps it is an ESL thing like you stated, and I am sympathetic to that, but not everyone will be. You'll soon find out that law school is truly a bubble, and part of that means that people talk. If you continue to treat people in the same manner as you are treating people on this forum, I guarantee that you'll be "that guy" in your class that everyone tends to avoid before Orientation week is over.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Newfoundlaw said:

You are aware that the AVERAGE is 3.7 right, clevermoose? So people with both higher and lower GPA's get in. Hell, it is not impossible for people to have GPA's around 3.0 get in to UNB (esp. if they have a good LSAT score).

Hell, I'm living proof of this. My GPA was a little higher than 3.4, but lower than 3.7 and my LSAT was considerably lower than 164 but I just finished my first year at UNB Law (note that I do have the Newfoundland thing working for me, but that is by no means a guaranteed ticket into the University). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Clevermoose, please stop pretending to be some sort of expert on the admissions process when in reality you know a marginal amount - and certainly not enough to give anyone advice on the matter. 

Furthermore (and I cannot stress this enough), try to exercise some sense of decorum when talking to people. Perhaps it is an ESL thing like you stated, and I am sympathetic to that, but not everyone will be. You'll soon find out that law school is truly a bubble, and part of that means that people talk. If you continue to treat people in the same manner as you are treating people on this forum, I guarantee that you'll be "that guy" in your class that everyone tends to avoid before Orientation week is over.

Thanks, I know how averages work. Not to rub salt in the wound though but I did not make up the fact that OP was evidently consider not competitive as they were outright rejected and not wait-listed etc. 

Nowhere do I claim to be an expert, just another random person on the internet providing stats about admissions. 

Anyways apparently people here are too sensitive so I will be declining to go to Queens. Best of luck everyone. 

51 minutes ago, clevermoose said:

Anyways apparently people here are too sensitive so I will be declining to go to Queens. Best of luck everyone. 

God save the Queen(s)

• Haha 8

Received an email that my status changed, logged in and saw that I was rejected.

GPA 3.7/4.3

LSAT 144

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back! This has been a long haul.