sunshine59

Advice on What to Do During Summer before starting 1L

I just wanted to know if 2Ls and 3Ls would have any suggestions if they were to go back in time - the summer right before starting 1L, what they wish they'd have done to better prepare for the three years of law school experiences!  

The advice you'll likely get on the forum is:

1) Chill (this is potentially your last summer of freedom);

2) Sort out all your personal relationships to minimize any stressors during the year;

3) Handle all your appointments in August if possible (dentist, optometrist, etc.);

4) Increase your typing speed if possible,

5) Read for fun while you still can/want to;

6) Read 'Getting to Maybe' by Fischl and Paul and 'One L' by Scott Turow.

1L can be a grind, enjoy yourself before then!

• Like 4

Don't read getting to maybe it's a waste of your time. You'll feel like a next level genius while reading it and silently agreeing with the author only to realize it fades instantly from your consciousness on the first day of law school let alone thinking about it when preparing for exams.

Do absolutely nothing and if you can try to do even less than that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Search “0L summer”. This topic comes up several times a year. 

I spent quite a lot of time hiking, I would have done more of that and added kayaking in.

I wasted money on 'Getting to maybe', and wouldn't do that if I had a repeat.

13 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Drink?

I think OP wants to know what to do before 1L, not what to do as a result of 1L. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tagger said:

I think OP wants to know what to do before 1L, not what to do as a result of 1L. 

Is it really that bad?

22 minutes ago, thedraper said:

Is it really that bad?

No. Drinking is fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, lookingaround said:

I spent quite a lot of time hiking, I would have done more of that and added kayaking in.

I wasted money on 'Getting to maybe', and wouldn't do that if I had a repeat.

Care to elaborate on the book?

10 hours ago, cigarettes said:

Care to elaborate on the book?

Your professors will tell you what they want to see on the exam. I mean, literally. My class notes are littered with "On exam, make sure to put: <xxxxxxxx>". They explicitly say "I want to see on the exam <xxxxx>".

The thing is, they don't all say the same thing. So you want to know what an individual professor who'll be grading you wants, not what a random professor in a different country twenty years ago didn't want. 

That's my critique after years of law school. Before I started, but after reading the book, my critique was "Okay, I get it, embrace ambiguity, do you have literally anything to say that isn't in the title?" I was expecting a lot more (like, give a question, give the C answer, the B answer, the A answer, explain what's good or bad - part of the problem with that expectation and probably why they couldn't do it is that in order to understand that, you need to have the skills you'll learn in first year law). 

If you're insistent on reading something, there are ebooks on Amazon that'll tell you what to expect from 1L in terms of the sorts of people, social events, activities and environments you might want to know about.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, FoG said:

The advice you'll likely get on the forum is:

1) Chill (this is potentially your last summer of freedom);

2) Sort out all your personal relationships to minimize any stressors during the year;

3) Handle all your appointments in August if possible (dentist, optometrist, etc.);

4) Increase your typing speed if possible,

5) Read for fun while you still can/want to;

6) Read 'Getting to Maybe' by Fischl and Paul and 'One L' by Scott Turow.

1L can be a grind, enjoy yourself before then!

I would emphasize the typing class. Exams are almost always a time crunch and being able to type faster is a big advantage 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AWL said:

I would emphasize the typing class. Exams are almost always a time crunch and being able to type faster is a big advantage  

Do people ever complain about keyboard sounds? I just got a new computer and the keyboard is crazy loud. I never had an exam on a computer during my undergrad so I never really thought about it.

1 hour ago, thedraper said:

Do people ever complain about keyboard sounds? I just got a new computer and the keyboard is crazy loud. I never had an exam on a computer during my undergrad so I never really thought about it.

I’m not sure about every school but at mine they provide ear plugs for exams and you don’t event notice the sound. 

• Like 1

Improving your typing speed can not be under emphasized. You may not realize it until midterms, but law school tests how fast you can type nearly as much as it tests the quality of what you type. 

8 hours ago, thedraper said:

Do people ever complain about keyboard sounds?

Yes.

6 hours ago, AWL said:

I’m not sure about every school but at mine they provide ear plugs for exams and you don’t event notice the sound. 

It is uncommon for the school to provide them, but yes, earplugs seem to mitigate the problem considerably.

14 minutes ago, UAbear2018 said:

Improving your typing speed can not be under emphasized. You may not realize it until midterms, but law school tests how fast you can type nearly as much as it tests the quality of what you type. 

While typing speed is important, this isn't true.

• Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me if my 120 WPM typing speed earned me an extra 0.1 to 0.2 on my overall 1L GPA relative to if I was average at typing 

I'm honestly not sure how the super slow typers even manage to deal with some of these exams. 

13 hours ago, ProfReader said:

Yes.

So I guess the only thing I can do is hit the keys as lightly as possible, unless I buy one of those god-awful rubber covers

So I guess the only thing I can do is hit the keys as lightly as possible, unless I buy one of those god-awful rubber covers

Or just take the temporary hit and ignore the people complaining. To be honest, in a room of 30-50 people typing, unless you're incredibly egregious, nobody notices one loud typer among the dozens.

• Like 1

Just bring earplugs for the people around you... cheaper and nicer