Sign in to follow this  
Yas081958

How to start the process for getting into law school ?

I've always been interested in going to law school but only now have gotten the courage to start the process. 

I have several different obstacles to getting there. First their is no possibility of me getting strong reference letters for my undergraduates studies. I made no connections with any of my professor to allow me to get a strong reference letter. I was thinking of getting a certification from york in public administration and law this year. This would allow me to to gain some academic connections to get reference letters. 

In addition what kind of Ec should I try to get. I have basically no volunteer experience. I currently work for the provincial government, part of my job is having to consult with lawyers often and enforce court orders. Though i do not know if this will count. 

I am just looking for how to fix my situation and get myself competitive for law school. I have not taken the lsat yet, but have started studying and hoping to take it later this year.

1) You only need one professional reference. The other can be personal (for Ontario). If you are a mature student, you can be exempt from a professional reference, depending on the law school. Personally, doing another program for your reasons is a waste of money.  

2) You can get into law school with virtually no volunteer experience. 

3) Do well on the LSAT. The 2007 official LSAT prep-test has been released and can be found online for free, if you did not know this already. 

You're on the right path. 

• Like 1

Yeah you are actually looking at Law School Admissions from the wrong perspective. To get into Med School strong EC’s and references are needed. But for Law School these things are either only of minor importance or not important at all. There are a few Law Schools that take a holistic approach (look at work experience, EC’s and references alongside GPA and LSAT). But a lot of Law Schools (possibly even most of them) essentially admit using an index (usually 50/50 weighting) of your undergrad GPA and your LSAT score. 

Edited by Johnappleseed

On 5/3/2019 at 4:31 PM, Yas081958 said:

I've always been interested in going to law school but only now have gotten the courage to start the process. 

I have several different obstacles to getting there. First their is no possibility of me getting strong reference letters for my undergraduates studies. I made no connections with any of my professor to allow me to get a strong reference letter. I was thinking of getting a certification from york in public administration and law this year. This would allow me to to gain some academic connections to get reference letters. 

In addition what kind of Ec should I try to get. I have basically no volunteer experience. I currently work for the provincial government, part of my job is having to consult with lawyers often and enforce court orders. Though i do not know if this will count. 

I am just looking for how to fix my situation and get myself competitive for law school. I have not taken the lsat yet, but have started studying and hoping to take it later this year.

For some schools (uvic, u of a, sask) possibly more, they dont even ask for reference letters.

5 hours ago, Yas081958 said:

What Lsat score should i aim for to competitive for law schools ?

You should aim for the highest score possible. No one can tell you what score you need for admission.  

10 hours ago, Yas081958 said:

What Lsat score should i aim for to competitive for law schools ?

Depends on your CGPA and L2/B2/B3 GPA and the law schools you plan to apply.

18 hours ago, AJD19 said:

For some schools (uvic, u of a, sask) possibly more, they dont even ask for reference letters.

Not required for UNB, UBC or Manitoba either. AFAIK, the schools (outside of Ontario schools that all require them) that require reference letters are UofC, Dal and TRU. 

Also, I'm not sure how much weight reference letters even have... I don't know how bad of a situation you were in with your undergraduate program, but I'm sure you could think of 1 professor that at least knows who you are and can write something...

If you're going back to school for the sole purpose of making a connection with a prof for a reference then you're making the wrong choice. Take that time to do well on the LSAT, and take a diagnostic immediately.

12 minutes ago, IrishStew said:

Not required for UNB, UBC or Manitoba either. AFAIK, the schools (outside of Ontario schools that all require them) that require reference letters are UofC, Dal and TRU. 

Also, I'm not sure how much weight reference letters even have... I don't know how bad of a situation you were in with your undergraduate program, but I'm sure you could think of 1 professor that at least knows who you are and can write something...

If you're going back to school for the sole purpose of making a connection with a prof for a reference then you're making the wrong choice. Take that time to do well on the LSAT, and take a diagnostic immediately.

I know of one professor who may write me a reference letter. I do agree that going back to school for only a reference will a waste of money if it does not have much weight in the admission process. 

46 minutes ago, Yas081958 said:

I know of one professor who may write me a reference letter. I do agree that going back to school for only a reference will a waste of money if it does not have much weight in the admission process. 

Try approaching that professor. I think many people overestimate how involved with the professor's class they need to be to get a good reference letter. Pick a professor whose class you got an outstanding grade in (and whom you've ideally taken more than one course with) and ask them. I have a friend who is a lecturer in Sociology and she writes these all the time for students even if they've only spoken to her a few times the entire semester. The worst they can do is say no. I doubt a faculty member would say yes and intentionally write a bad reference letter. If you've been out of school for awhile it would be a good idea to meet with the professor and discuss what you've been doing with your life since you were a student and to submit your current CV.

1 hour ago, IrishStew said:

Unless something has changed recently, U of T does not require LORs, and hasn't for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

I think that at this point you should:

1. Calculate your cGPA / L2 GPA / B3 GPA

2. Take a diagnostic LSAT

3. Come back to this forum and post these in a “chances” post

from there, people will be able to recommend which schools you have a good shot at, where to apply, and what you should focus on improving to have the best chance of admission somewhere.

• Like 2