Iyaiaey

How good/bad are the facilities at Dal?

Just generally speaking, what are the main pros/cons of living on campus.  What could be more convenient? Is the campus fairly modern or more to the run down side?

Also does Dal have an outdoor track? I looked but I don't see one on their campus map.

I was there 2012 - 2015.  The campus was more on the run-down side.  (I don't know what has changed since then.)

I'm not sure about an outside track.

20 hours ago, Iyaiaey said:

Just generally speaking, what are the main pros/cons of living on campus.  What could be more convenient? Is the campus fairly modern or more to the run down side?

Also does Dal have an outdoor track? I looked but I don't see one on their campus map.

The law building is great, but the campus as a whole feels pretty run down. The main library is a literal nightmare. I dont think there is any viable options living on campus as a law student either. There is no outside track but the new dalplex is great. 

Would advise against living in the dorms on-campus (if that's what you were asking about). There's a lot of housing just off campus and lots of people live within walking distance of Weldon. It seems quite convenient. 

I have my complaints about the law building but overall, it's pretty nice (they've been doing renovations over the last few years, I think they're all done now, though). There are other parts of the campus that are quite nice (the CHEB is a favourite amongst law students, Wallace McCain is equally as great and it rarely has any law students, which is nice) but overall it's kind of rundown. 

I wouldn't say campus is "run down". Its an older university, and a lot of buildings reflect that, but I think in a good way. Some buildings are older, so they obviously aren't state of the art, but they're nice. There are also other buildings that are new, such as the SUB, Business Building, CHEB, Law is newer, and maybe a few others. If you were a first year undergrad I would say live in Rez 100%, but its probably not needed as you're an older student I assume. If you can find a place within a 10-15 minute walk to campus, and close to Sobeys or one of the two superstores, that would be your best bet! And if you really want an outdoor track, Saint Mary's University has one, so if you lived closish to that campus, you can probably just go and use it during the day!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KDB550 said:

I wouldn't say campus is "run down". Its an older university, and a lot of buildings reflect that, but I think in a good way. Some buildings are older, so they obviously aren't state of the art, but they're nice. There are also other buildings that are new, such as the SUB, Business Building, CHEB, Law is newer, and maybe a few others. If you were a first year undergrad I would say live in Rez 100%, but its probably not needed as you're an older student I assume. If you can find a place within a 10-15 minute walk to campus, and close to Sobeys or one of the two superstores, that would be your best bet! And if you really want an outdoor track, Saint Mary's University has one, so if you lived closish to that campus, you can probably just go and use it during the day!

I would 100% agree with this (I went to Dal for undergrad)! For off-campus, most people live in the South End or around Quinpool (both are quite near to Sobeys / Superstore and are about 10-15 minute walk from campus, as KDB550 said). If you're interested in living closer to downtown, then South End is your best bet. There are quite a few places around Queen St / Barrington St / South Park St, which are only about 5-10 minutes from downtown. If you don't mind being farther from downtown, and would like to be in a bit more of an eclectic area, look at Quinpool (the area between Coburg Road and Quinpool is largely students).