Sign in to follow this  
almondbutter

Worried about 1L Finals

6 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The fact that people with B averages got hired. 

So what would you think the average for OCI hirings is?

14 minutes ago, LivePumpkin said:

@harveyspecter993 "B and B+ students were hired in the 1L recruit.

^ That's interesting. Everyone I know of had an A average. 

I know at least one student was hired with an A, A, B from Osgoode. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LivePumpkin said:

@harveyspecter993 "B and B+ students were hired in the 1L recruit.

^ That's interesting. Everyone I know of had an A average. 

I know of four hires, two with A+ averages, one with an B+ average and one with a B. I also heard of C students getting interviews.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I know of four hires, two with A+ averages, one with an B+ average and one with a B. I also heard of C students getting interviews.

Interesting! I didn't even apply because of suggestions from upper-year students and answers on this forum. People acted like it would be a waste of time if I applied with anything less than straight As.

4 minutes ago, retakelsat said:

Interesting! I didn't even apply because of suggestions from upper-year students and answers on this forum. People acted like it would be a waste of time if I applied with anything less than straight As.

What? I doubt anyone on this forum said that who actually knew what they were talking about, since straight A’s are pretty rare in law school.

Edited by providence

Are anxiety and worry helping you do a better job? If not, the answer to any question is stop worrying. 

If you determine how worried to be by how bad a situation is, instead of by how much worrying helps, I very much look forward to never having to work with you in a bad situation. Stress induced worry makes you a worse person to be around, a less effective colleague, and a sadder human. Break the mold. Focus on what matters. 

1 hour ago, retakelsat said:

There was a special someone on the forum who made it his mission to dissuade everyone from applying.

30 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

There was a special someone on the forum who made it his mission to dissuade everyone from applying.

1 hour ago, providence said:

What? I doubt anyone on this forum said that who actually knew what they were talking about, since straight A’s are pretty rare in law school.

Hmm... there are quite a few posts about this but the answers seem to be coming from students.  Upper-year students also mentioned this during orientation when people asked about the 1L recruit.  I guess this year was an anomaly or past students exaggerated their grades.

21 minutes ago, retakelsat said:

Hmm... there are quite a few posts about this but the answers seem to be coming from students.  Upper-year students also mentioned this during orientation when people asked about the 1L recruit.  I guess this year was an anomaly or past students exaggerated their grades.

Its just easiest to say “it was impossible for me to get this” than “it was possible and I wanted it but I didn’t succeed”. Nothing more complicated than that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, providence said:

For Osgoode students, straight A’s are weirdly common after first semester. Osgoode students go into the 1L recruit with 3 grades total, and getting 3 A’s out of 8 1L courses really isn’t that strange. 

For the benefit of future students who come across this thread, I can tell you first hand that straight As are not required to succeed in the 1L Bay street recruit. I had an A average, but not all As and I did fine.

B+s with a good rest of the explanation can likely get attention too, and anyone with a couple of As is doing fine.

If you want to test the waters, there's almost no harm in applying and it won't prejudice you for the 2L recruit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

And since spec is trying to throw shade at me here, I’ll just explain why I called his A+/B/B not competitive for the 1L recruit:

Last year, at least 4 of the 6 Osgoode 1L students hired at full service firms had at least straight As. At least two had straight A+s. I also know that the “straight A or A average” advice is what was told to me by students who completed the 1L recruit the two years preceding my year. If @Rashabon says that B+s across the board with a good application would get you interest, that’s news to me, but I’m inclined to believe him. Query what “good application” means though, and perhaps Rashabon could elaborate for future students.

My theory for why grade thresholds seemed lower this year: full service firms hired twice as many Osgoode 1Ls year-over-year. That will almost certainly lower the average gpa of hires. And hey, if I knew that full service firms were going to increase their Osgoode hiring by 100% this year, I would have been more bullish on the chances of otherwise marginal (for the 1L recruit) students. But I didn’t know that, so my advice was tailored to reflect what was foreseeable. 

As for whether I discouraged people from applying, I’ll leave my advice below for others to judge [emphasis added]:

That's technically an A average, but the lowest possible one. Of the people I know who were hired last year in the 1L recruit, an A/A/B+ would have been the lowest grade distribution. I wouldn't rule yourself out, but I wouldn't expect interviews either (not that anyone should expect interviews – I know one person with an A+/A+/A distribution who didn't get a single interview).

So apply, but be realistic with yourself about your chances. 

Depends on the school, but from Osgoode JD (not JD/MBA) you’re looking at straight A’s of some type, or at least an A average.

It would be exceedingly unlikely for you to get an interview in the 1L recruit with straight Bs from Osgoode.

And here is my tailored advice to spec, excerpted to avoid the personal question he asked via pm:

Of the four people who I know that got 1L jobs and whose transcripts I've seen, they invariably had straight A’s  

But I’m not a recruiter, so I don’t know. There’s no cost to apply, and if you’re asking the night before applications are due I assume you have your resume and cover letter sorted. You might as well. 

Some people are so ungrateful. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

For Osgoode students, straight A’s are weirdly common after first semester. Osgoode students go into the 1L recruit with 3 grades total, and getting 3 A’s out of 8 1L courses really isn’t that strange. 

Well I wouldn't call 3 midterm grades a "straight A average" personally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, providence said:

Well I wouldn't call 3 midterm grades a "straight A average" personally. 

Osgoode doesn’t do midterm grades. Students entering the 1L recruit from Oz have 3 final grades (torts, contracts, and crim). 

In the context of discussing the 1L recruit from Osgoode, straight As mean an A or A+ in each of those three courses. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Osgoode doesn’t do midterm grades. Students entering the 1L recruit from Oz have 3 final grades (torts, contracts, and crim). 

In the context of discussing the 1L recruit from Osgoode, straight As mean an A or A+ in each of those three courses. 

OK. Fair enough. I still don't think 3 out of 8 courses is enough to say you have "straight As." Seems premature. I get that having 3 As would be more competitive than having lower grades in there, though.

1 hour ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Its just easiest to say “it was impossible for me to get this” than “it was possible and I wanted it but I didn’t succeed”. Nothing more complicated than that.

Or "I got it because I am amazingly special and you're not so you can't do what I did."

Edit: also don't get how people see their random classmates' transcripts. I don't think I ever saw anyone's transcript or anyone saw mine in law school. 

Edited by providence
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, providence said:

It may have helped you, but I think others on this thread are saying it didn’t help then that you said you’ve seen 4 peoples’ transcripts, they had X grades, and so you need X grades for Y job. The data is out there - knowing how so-and-do did isn’t necessary. I don’t think you can draw conclusions as to how you or other people do or don’t get jobs based on their grades alone. Grades are a guideline but there is so much more to it. 

If you read what I posted, I never said you need X grades for Y job. I said that 4 out of the 6 people who got Y job had X grades or better. If people are failing to adequately interpret data, that's not my fault. Particularly when my explicit advice, from both myself and others, was for said student to apply anyways. 

Anyways, I've said my part.