Jump to content
newlawgirl124

Western Fall Reading Week?

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I noticed that other schools like Windsor have a fall reading week, but I don't see one in Western's dates (just one in February). Can anyone comment on this? Do law students get any time off in the fall semester? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking as someone who did their undergrad at Western we do get a reading week in October around Thanksgiving time (usually connected to the holiday day-off) and I am fairly certain law students get this time off as well. The reading week was (for the past two years) only on a trial basis but was passed through the senate quite recently as a permanent break (within the last two weeks-ish) so those dates might not be updated as of yet. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Law does not follow the Fall reading week for Western undergrads. First years will go all the way through. Second and third years technically get a "fall study week", but a proportion of the second years will be doing Toronto interviews at that time. Only third year law students truly benefit from this week off. 

Edited by hmyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Lol did you not see I wrote that I already looked at that? Obviously anyone can look up the sessional dates. 

What's with the sass? You asked for help and someone referred to a source. I don't see what the problem is here.

 

Edit: If you follow the link, there is a note at the end of 2019 reading "NB The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law"

Edited by chrispbacon
more info added
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Lol did you not see I wrote that I already looked at that? Obviously anyone can look up the sessional dates. 

Okay, then if you already looked at it then you would have seen that it literally says under the 2019 date table, "The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law". 

So if you already saw that, then I'm not sure why you felt the need to ask the question in the first place? I can't speak as to any other time off, but it clearly says that there is no fall reading week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chrispbacon said:

What's with the sass? You asked for help and someone referred to a source. I don't see what the problem is here.

 Exactly, I asked for INPUT not a reference to something I said I already read. If you don’t have any input what’s the point of you writing in this thread lol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mett said:

Okay, then if you already looked at it then you would have seen that it literally says under the 2019 date table, "The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law". 

So if you already saw that, then I'm not sure why you felt the need to ask the question in the first place? I can't speak as to any other time off, but it clearly says that there is no fall reading week.

Because as someone else wrote in this thread I knew they recently changed reading week regulations and didn’t know if it would overturn for law students as well. It was actually an extremely valid question. Someone in this thread also said there is a fall study week in second and third year, info you did not get from reading the dates online.  Maybe read people’s questions before giving answers and trying to argue LOL 

Edited by newlawgirl124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, newlawgirl124 said:

 Exactly, I asked for INPUT not a reference to something I said I already read. If you don’t have any input what’s the point of you writing in this thread lol?

Here's my input: You're coming across as rude when people are taking time out of their day to help you and point you towards a source that has the answer on it already. The source you looked at is pretty clear. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chrispbacon said:

Here's my input: You're coming across as rude when people are taking time out of their day to help you and point you towards a source that has the answer on it already. The source you looked at is pretty clear. 

Its obviously not that clear if people in this thread said there is a fall study week in second and third year that is not indicated on their website. 

Edited by newlawgirl124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Its obviously not that clear if people in this thread said there is a fall study week in second and third year that is not indicated on their website. 

There isn't a fall reading week in second and third year. In second year, there is a three day period during which 2Ls have in firm interviews but in third year you get those days off from my understanding. No reading "week" though.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol how did a question about reading week turn into this nonsense? 

Anyway, there isn't fall reading week, but here is what goes on during the first three days of the first or second week of November:

1Ls: Alternative dispute resolution three day intensive (AKA waste of time). 

2Ls: In-firm interviews to finish up the OCI process. 

3Ls: Nothing 

The 2Ls and 3Ls usually take the rest of the week off too, but the 1Ls don't.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

There isn't a fall reading week in second and third year. In second year, there is a three day period during which 2Ls have in firm interviews but in third year you get those days off from my understanding. No reading "week" though.

Not entirely correct.

Every upper year (2L and 3L) officially gets the Toronto infirms days off (Mon-Wed). It's literally called a Study Break for those three days. A proportion of 2Ls will have Toronto interviews (unfortunately many will not or some do not participate). Naturally if you have interviews, you aren't taking study break off. Other 2Ls will. Class resume that Thursday but most people just take the week off. Some profs even cancel the Thursday/Friday classes if they are nice. 1L's do not get these days off because they have ADR. 3L is a joke. 

 

Edited by hmyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hmyo said:

Not entirely correct.

Every upper year (2L and 3L) officially gets the Toronto infirms days off (Mon-Wed). It's literally called a Study Break for those three days. A proportion of 2Ls will have Toronto interviews (unfortunately many will not or some do not participate). Naturally if you have interviews, you aren't taking study break off. Other 2Ls will. Class resume that Thursday but most people just take the week off. Some profs even cancel the Thursday/Friday classes if they are nice. 1L's do not get these days off because they have ADR. 3L is a joke. 

 

I don't see where I'm incorrect. I didn't imply that all 2Ls get in firm interviews. Only that those days do purposely overlap with in firm interviews so a good chunk of 2Ls won't get days off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • >Cash-cows MBAs have been cash-cows for all universities for the past two decades if not three. Obviously, the bull run has been faltering since the stock market crash, but the reputation of a good MBA is still there. Then again, I'm not interested in debating the merit of an MBA, just seeking information about what triggered the reputation change. >Reputational change I don' think that Rotman's standards or class profile have changed considerably. Given that (1) Rotman's class size has been 300-350 for a good decade; (2) its alumni have been 45-55% international students since 2012; and (3) the GMAT average being steady at 650-690, I think something else is causing the significant reputation change. Interestingly, all the big MBAs in Canada have significantly dropped in rankings since 2015/6. Rotman in the 40s between  2011-14, Ivey at 46 in 2011 and 68 in 2012, Desautel in the 60s between 2011-12,  Schulich in the 70s have now all dropped to the 80s and 90s since 2016, with Schulich no longer being ranked. Of course, this is just one ranking system — one can look at Businessweek or Forbes to see different ranking tiers in Canada. Clearly, the problem is multifaceted and likely intertwined with the Canadian market. Some online sources I've consulted partially blame the drop on (1) the ranking methodology heavily emphasizing post-MBA increased wages reported in PPP, which inherently inflate the value of MBAs in developing countries; and (2) a declining job market and currency value (currency value has plummeted since 2015). You could also be onto something regarding the tidbit about international students. If 50% of the class are international students, then the ones who were keen on applying to Rotman 10 years ago have now decided to stay in their home country due to a rapidly developing education system (especially in China), then the current international applicants are less valuable. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that a 50 point drop is possible without some internal complications within Rotman. Perhaps (1) the class teaching styles changed; (2) the recent innovative features (e.g., Self-Development Lab) aren't as impressive as their predecessors; or (3) Rotman has severed ties with essential connections and/or donors. I'd be very interested in hearing from the experiencing of alumni, especially those who attended school between 2013-2016.
    • Wow thank you so much for this info and I’m sorry that you didn’t have a good experience. Should someone at York be notified of this if it is a scam? She is very convincing, one phone call and I was sold. 
    • I was extremely upset with my experience with Monica and so i decided to do some digging. I actually contacted Osgoode and they told me that nobody under the name of Monica Whyte has graduated from osgoode in the last 10 years or so. They said that its possible she used a different name but Monica Whyte did not go there. As well, I cant seem to find her on the York website in the PHD program.  
    • Je suis entrain de compléter un BAC en administration des affaires (3.69 de GPA). J'ai aussi appliqué à Université de Sherbrooke (sans réponse pour le moment). Bonne chance à tous!  

×
×
  • Create New...