newlawgirl124

Western Fall Reading Week?

Hi all, 

I noticed that other schools like Windsor have a fall reading week, but I don't see one in Western's dates (just one in February). Can anyone comment on this? Do law students get any time off in the fall semester? 

Speaking as someone who did their undergrad at Western we do get a reading week in October around Thanksgiving time (usually connected to the holiday day-off) and I am fairly certain law students get this time off as well. The reading week was (for the past two years) only on a trial basis but was passed through the senate quite recently as a permanent break (within the last two weeks-ish) so those dates might not be updated as of yet. 

• Thanks 1

Law does not follow the Fall reading week for Western undergrads. First years will go all the way through. Second and third years technically get a "fall study week", but a proportion of the second years will be doing Toronto interviews at that time. Only third year law students truly benefit from this week off. 

Edited by hmyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Lol did you not see I wrote that I already looked at that? Obviously anyone can look up the sessional dates. 

What's with the sass? You asked for help and someone referred to a source. I don't see what the problem is here.

Edit: If you follow the link, there is a note at the end of 2019 reading "NB The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law"

Edited by chrispbacon
more info added
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Lol did you not see I wrote that I already looked at that? Obviously anyone can look up the sessional dates. 

Okay, then if you already looked at it then you would have seen that it literally says under the 2019 date table, "The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law". 

So if you already saw that, then I'm not sure why you felt the need to ask the question in the first place? I can't speak as to any other time off, but it clearly says that there is no fall reading week.

Just now, chrispbacon said:

What's with the sass? You asked for help and someone referred to a source. I don't see what the problem is here.

Exactly, I asked for INPUT not a reference to something I said I already read. If you don’t have any input what’s the point of you writing in this thread lol?

4 minutes ago, mett said:

Okay, then if you already looked at it then you would have seen that it literally says under the 2019 date table, "The University Fall Study Days do not apply to the Faculty of Law". 

So if you already saw that, then I'm not sure why you felt the need to ask the question in the first place? I can't speak as to any other time off, but it clearly says that there is no fall reading week.

Because as someone else wrote in this thread I knew they recently changed reading week regulations and didn’t know if it would overturn for law students as well. It was actually an extremely valid question. Someone in this thread also said there is a fall study week in second and third year, info you did not get from reading the dates online.  Maybe read people’s questions before giving answers and trying to argue LOL 

Edited by newlawgirl124

Just now, newlawgirl124 said:

Exactly, I asked for INPUT not a reference to something I said I already read. If you don’t have any input what’s the point of you writing in this thread lol?

Here's my input: You're coming across as rude when people are taking time out of their day to help you and point you towards a source that has the answer on it already. The source you looked at is pretty clear. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrispbacon said:

Here's my input: You're coming across as rude when people are taking time out of their day to help you and point you towards a source that has the answer on it already. The source you looked at is pretty clear. 

Its obviously not that clear if people in this thread said there is a fall study week in second and third year that is not indicated on their website. 

Edited by newlawgirl124

4 minutes ago, newlawgirl124 said:

Its obviously not that clear if people in this thread said there is a fall study week in second and third year that is not indicated on their website. 

There isn't a fall reading week in second and third year. In second year, there is a three day period during which 2Ls have in firm interviews but in third year you get those days off from my understanding. No reading "week" though.

• Thanks 1

Lol how did a question about reading week turn into this nonsense? 

Anyway, there isn't fall reading week, but here is what goes on during the first three days of the first or second week of November:

1Ls: Alternative dispute resolution three day intensive (AKA waste of time). 

2Ls: In-firm interviews to finish up the OCI process. 

3Ls: Nothing 

The 2Ls and 3Ls usually take the rest of the week off too, but the 1Ls don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, georgecostanzajr said:

There isn't a fall reading week in second and third year. In second year, there is a three day period during which 2Ls have in firm interviews but in third year you get those days off from my understanding. No reading "week" though.

Not entirely correct.

Every upper year (2L and 3L) officially gets the Toronto infirms days off (Mon-Wed). It's literally called a Study Break for those three days. A proportion of 2Ls will have Toronto interviews (unfortunately many will not or some do not participate). Naturally if you have interviews, you aren't taking study break off. Other 2Ls will. Class resume that Thursday but most people just take the week off. Some profs even cancel the Thursday/Friday classes if they are nice. 1L's do not get these days off because they have ADR. 3L is a joke. 

Edited by hmyo

16 minutes ago, hmyo said:

Not entirely correct.

Every upper year (2L and 3L) officially gets the Toronto infirms days off (Mon-Wed). It's literally called a Study Break for those three days. A proportion of 2Ls will have Toronto interviews (unfortunately many will not or some do not participate). Naturally if you have interviews, you aren't taking study break off. Other 2Ls will. Class resume that Thursday but most people just take the week off. Some profs even cancel the Thursday/Friday classes if they are nice. 1L's do not get these days off because they have ADR. 3L is a joke. 

I don't see where I'm incorrect. I didn't imply that all 2Ls get in firm interviews. Only that those days do purposely overlap with in firm interviews so a good chunk of 2Ls won't get days off.