Sign in to follow this  
capitalttruth

Anyone in the Access category that still hasn't heard back?

I'm still waiting, been "under evaluation" since December. I have a 3.25, 3.73, 164 LSAT and an MA. This is my second cycle applying to Ottawa in the Access category. I was waitlisted last year with a much lower LSAT score.

Anyone else still waiting in Access? I hope to be at least waitlisted with a more favourable number this year. I have already provisionally accepted UNB so it's not the end of the world if I don't get in, but I'd like to go to UOttawa or Queens over UNB if I had the option.

I called an admissions officer last week and they said they had a lot of Access applications this year, and they didn't have the majority of files finalized until after January, so there may be a bit of a delay.

Edited by capitalttruth

2 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I'm still waiting, been "under evaluation" since December. I have a 3.25, 3.73, 164 LSAT and an MA. This is my second cycle applying to Ottawa in the Access category. I was waitlisted last year with a much lower LSAT score.

Anyone else still waiting in Access? I hope to be at least waitlisted with a more favourable number this year. I have already provisionally accepted UNB so it's not the end of the world if I don't get in, but I'd like to go to UOttawa or Queens over UNB if I had the option.

I called an admissions officer last week and they said they had a lot of Access applications this year, and they didn't have the majority of files finalized until after January, so there may be a bit of a delay.

Hello, friend. I have not still heard back anything either. I have just been waiting for any decisions from uOttawa since last November, but I currently expect either rejection or waitlist.

Stats are: 3.78 CGPA, 3.84 L2, 157 LSAT (an accommodated score), MA in History (A- average), currently doing a combined Master programs of archival studies and museum studies (A- average), and an Access/Mature applicant.

Good luck! 

Hello there,

I also have not heard anything... starting to lose hope lol :(

3.3 cGPA

3.54 L2

Ottawa has, of all the schools, probably the best of all possible worlds if you are waistlisted. They actually rank their waitlists, and the first 100 have a very good chance of receiving an offer, but the downside is you have to wait into the summer. Still, at least you know where you stand.

Being waitlisted last year with worse stats, I am sort of expecting to get waitlisted. But knowing how Ottawa's waitlist works won't give me immediate anxiety at least until I know my ranking which will come later.

But, oh well, I have UNB if nothing else pans out, and I'm super happy about that!

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Ottawa has, of all the schools, probably the best of all possible worlds if you are waistlisted. They actually rank their waitlists, and the first 100 have a very good chance of receiving an offer, but the downside is you have to wait into the summer. Still, at least you know where you stand.

Being waitlisted last year with worse stats, I am sort of expecting to get waitlisted. But knowing how Ottawa's waitlist works won't give me immediate anxiety at least until I know my ranking which will come later.

But, oh well, I have UNB if nothing else pans out, and I'm super happy about that!

Last year i was like 160+ on the waitlist. Re-applied this year and got an offer in March. My stats were identical, legit nothing changed. Blows my mind how thats possible lol.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I'm still under evaluation for Access. Applied as a mature student. 3.2, 164.

I also applied to UNB but have not heard anything back. Actually haven't heard back from any of the schools I applied - Ottawa, Queens, Osgoode and UNB. Either in queue or pending or under evaluation, but I guess it's not a rejection...yet. Hoping to at least get on the waitlist in a couple places, but Ottawa is my top choice for sure. 

Hi fellow access applicants,

Just wanted to update anyone still waiting who just finished their winter term. I have received an e-mail from admissions stating the following: "Be reassured that your newest grades will be taken in account when evaluating your file."

Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, HelloLawSchool said:

Just wanted to update anyone still waiting who just finished their winter term. I have received an e-mail from admissions stating the following: "Be reassured that your newest grades will be taken in account when evaluating your file."

Good luck everyone!

Weird...I haven't received such an email but I'm still waiting for a response.

@JamesBond Sorry for the confusion. I had e-mailed them inquiring and that was part of their response. Just letting people know so that they get their marks in as quickly as possible as the e-mail also stated that "The Admission Committee is working on a rolling basis".

• Like 1

If anyone e-mails/calls them, please let the rest of us know what they say! The wait is killing me (I emailed them yesterday so I'll update you guys once I get a response!)

• Like 2

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for some advice for applying in the access category. After I converted my grades to a 4.0 scale my CGPA went from 3.3 to 3.12. I suffered from illnesses in undergrad that went unmedicated for 3 years of my 5 year degree and the difference between my fourth and fifth years as well as my masters compared to first to third year is stark. My L2 for other schools like Western or Dal is around a 3.7-3.8. This is because my final year didn't hit the exact number of credits Queen's wanted because my courses were worth weird amounts. 

I was looking for advice on what LSAT score do I need to make up for this? As well, what schools would really take my health claim into consideration/better schools to apply to for my situation? I have also done quite a few extra curriculars, i volunteer for two law firms, I'm also a certified teacher and have a masters degree. Would any of this help my health claim and what schools would best suit me given your experiences applying?

If you have other suggestions as to where I could post this, that would be great.

Thanks! 

43 minutes ago, sj95 said:

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for some advice for applying in the access category. After I converted my grades to a 4.0 scale my CGPA went from 3.3 to 3.12. I suffered from illnesses in undergrad that went unmedicated for 3 years of my 5 year degree and the difference between my fourth and fifth years as well as my masters compared to first to third year is stark. My L2 for other schools like Western or Dal is around a 3.7-3.8. This is because my final year didn't hit the exact number of credits Queen's wanted because my courses were worth weird amounts. 

I was looking for advice on what LSAT score do I need to make up for this? As well, what schools would really take my health claim into consideration/better schools to apply to for my situation? I have also done quite a few extra curriculars, i volunteer for two law firms, I'm also a certified teacher and have a masters degree. Would any of this help my health claim and what schools would best suit me given your experiences applying?

If you have other suggestions as to where I could post this, that would be great.

Thanks! 

So long as you have adequate documentation for your access claim from doctors, and you craft a good personal statement detailing how this circumstance affected you (really research the UOttawa PS and solitcit advice on how to write a good, tailored PS for Ottawa, they like this) you have a shot to apply in the Access category.

Since you are explaining in your access claim how your prior academic performance was impeded by extenuating circumstances, you want to demonstrate that your present academic capabilities are competitive for their law school. That means, showing detailed accounts of how you managed your time better, were accountable and responsible for managing your illness, and demonstrating present academic success. Your Masters degree is a great start, but I would aim for a 164+ LSAT score to really convince them of your present academic competitiveness. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, HelloLawSchool said:

Good luck everyone!

Hi! Does this apply to general applicants as well?

I thought I would chime in in regards to the idea that you need to aim for a 164+ to have a shot as an access candidate. Of course, you should aim to do as well as possible on the LSAT, but your score will not be the be all and the end all of your application. I believe that admissions committees are interested in candidates who have persevered through hardships as it sounds like you have. Even with a 3.12 CGPA, I believe that you would be given consideration by holistic schools with an average LSAT score, combined with a well crafted application and good academic references from people who see your potential.  I scored a 157 on the January LSAT (I bombed the Logic Games), and my CGPA as calculated by OLSAS was 3.29 -- it was quite low due to extenuating circumstances in my fourth year, which I detailed on my application -- so I was anxious about my prospects. I was recently admitted to Osgoode and, with the exception of Western, I have not been rejected from any Canadian schools (I didn't apply to BC schools, Lakehead, Windsor, or to U of T). I am confident that my application is being given careful consideration by the schools I have yet to hear from. Basically, do your best on the LSAT, be confident in what you bring to the table as an applicant and aim to have that come across on your application, and most importantly don't compare yourself too much to others on this forum in terms of stats and what people say is or isn't possible. Good luck! 

• Like 4

Can confirm all of the above, got accepted as an access student last year, 2.95 GPA, 158 LSAT. Accepted this time last year.

A 164+ is far from necessary. I had pretty extensive work experience beforehand, so it's not automatic, but don't stress if your stats aren't what people on this forum say you need.

5 minutes ago, lazslo93 said:

Can confirm all of the above, got accepted as an access student last year, 2.95 GPA, 158 LSAT. Accepted this time last year.

A 164+ is far from necessary. I had pretty extensive work experience beforehand, so it's not automatic, but don't stress if your stats aren't what people on this forum say you need.

When were you accepted? I have a 3.25, 3.7 L2and a 164 with an MA in Access but havent heard shit. I thought I wrote a good, tailored PS. Im thinking its my GPA, so I inferred that a higher LSAT would be needed to offset my GPA.

Accepted May 12 - unfortunately access applications in general can be voodoo, you never know exactly what they're looking for.

That being said, I really, really don't think your stats hurt you in the slightest - especially as an access student with an MA. I also have a master's, but your stats crush mine.

It's possible that you'll be accepted later, or that for whatever reason this isn't your year. Regardless, stats aren't worth stressing about at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lazslo93 said:

Accepted May 12 - unfortunately access applications in general can be voodoo, you never know exactly what they're looking for.

That being said, I really, really don't think your stats hurt you in the slightest - especially as an access student with an MA. I also have a master's, but your stats crush mine.

It's possible that you'll be accepted later, or that for whatever reason this isn't your year. Regardless, stats aren't worth stressing about at this point.

I really hope I am accepted a bit later. Ive been accepted to Windsor but I would much prefer to stay in Ottawa due to personal/health reasons - some of which I indicated in my application. I hope they can take it into account! Really really hope so.

• Like 1