Lawstudent97

Anyone else still not hear anything from Western?

6 minutes ago, DougFromOntario said:

Calling the bank to ask for money is by design easy as it is the core of the business.  Should not be a significant barrier to going to law school. 

For those who will require a PSLOC, if it helps at all, I had the paperwork filled out for my application within an hour of getting off the phone, the credit check took 6 days (but I applied on a Friday), and everything will be confirmed/signed/ready to go this week. All in all, it’s about a two week process, but you can do it remotely. 

Just wanted to mention this to hopefully alleviate any concerns that receiving a line of credit is a time-consuming process. As long as you have an offer by mid-August, you’ll have no problem securing money on time (good credit depending, I’d imagine).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DougFromOntario said:

This however is just an excuse, what are you going to do when you have to move for work quick? When we are young, (I'm guessing you were born in 97) we generally have less commitments and its quick to go.  Calling the bank to ask for money is by design easy as it is the core of the business.  Should not be a significant barrier to going to law school. 

What excuse am I making? I guess some of us like to think through our 100k+ investments and set up ideal situations for ourselves. Guess you're not one of those people. 

18 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

What excuse am I making? I guess some of us like to think through our 100k+ investments and set up ideal situations for ourselves. Guess you're not one of those people. 

No kidding eh

Not sure how someone can simplify the entire process with "it's as easy as walking into a bank"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

People will get off the waitlist as late as the last week of August. I guess those people have no hope of orgnaizing their life with only a week.

Come on, how are you going to be a lawyer and think you can't get your shit together in a week? Good luck managing your 1L courseload if you're stressing over something so small. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hmyo said:

People will get off the waitlist as late as the last week of August. I guess those people have no hope of orgnaizing their life with only a week.

Come on, how are you going to be a lawyer and think you can't get your shit together in a week? Good luck managing your 1L courseload if you're stressing over something so small. 

If you live in another province with an apartment where you have to give 60 days notice, have storage, still are working, etc, it can be hectic. You need to get a temporary mailing address, find a place to live in your new town, actually move to that town, on top of a million other things.

It sounds like your someone who could just move on a whim.

Come on man, how can you be a lawyer and not critically think outside the box like that?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hmyo said:

Seriously, how ignorant can you be about the conditions/situations of others? Who the hell can up and move in a week? You'd have to break your current lease and somehow find an apartment in a new city you've never been without ever visiting it. That alone is going to cost thousands.

I can only guess you're living with your parents at home and they've always footed the bill for you.

• Like 1

I moved to Victoria and found a place 1 week before school began despite never having lived there and not having a car. It is pretty simple: stay in a hostel, call 20 people a day, and learn what the bus schedules are.

Now, I left on short notice because I had to work to support my broke ass, not because I got a late admission so I sympathize with that psychological stress. Plan to get an acceptance even if you don't know. Give notice. Find storage for your fancy middle class person furniture. But jesus christ if this is the most stressful thing you have to experience in 2019 then I am envious of your life for sure.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hmyo said:

Not sure what crawled up your ass. I feel sorry for any future client represented by someone as ignorant as you 

no one even said it was impossible. We just said it’s not ideal. Not sure why you felt the need to comment at all

Edited by Lawstudent97

22 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Not sure what crawled up your ass. I feel sorry for any future client represented by someone as ignorant as you 

no one even said it was impossible. We just said it’s not ideal. Not sure why you felt the need to comment at all

On 4/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, Lawstudent97 said:

Personal insults are not needed when someone questions your train of thought, and there is no such thing as an ideal situation so striving for one would be a reason as to why it would take several weeks for a move. 

1 hour ago, BabyRhinoRainbow said:

I moved to Victoria and found a place 1 week before school began despite never having lived there and not having a car. It is pretty simple: stay in a hostel, call 20 people a day, and learn what the bus schedules are.

Now, I left on short notice because I had to work to support my broke ass, not because I got a late admission so I sympathize with that psychological stress. Plan to get an acceptance even if you don't know. Give notice. Find storage for your fancy middle class person furniture. But jesus christ if this is the most stressful thing you have to experience in 2019 then I am envious of your life for sure.

Pretty standard plan, especially for young people.  If you are in fact a 97, you'll just be finishing up your exams now for your final term, and either going back to your folks place, or starting work (ideally both).  In my eyes there appears to be no significant obstacles. 

To make this a civil discussion, what barriers are in place that would require you to spend more time than @BabyRhinoRainbow and I when moving away for law school? 

I am a person that "lives light".  I always sublet apartments instead of lease, I have no student loans, and am fortunate enough to own a new car that fits EVERYTHING I own in one trip. I have already informed the principal at my company that I am leaving for law school come the end of August, and depending on were else I get into will sublet an apartment in that town.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DougFromOntario said:

Personal insults are not needed when someone questions your train of thought, and there is no such thing as an ideal situation so striving for one would be a reason as to why it would take several weeks for a move. 

Pretty standard plan, especially for young people.  If you are in fact a 97, you'll just be finishing up your exams now for your final term, and either going back to your folks place, or starting work (ideally both).  In my eyes there appears to be no significant obstacles. 

To make this a civil discussion, what barriers are in place that would require you to spend more time than @BabyRhinoRainbow and I when moving away for law school? 

I am a person that "lives light".  I always sublet apartments instead of lease, I have no student loans, and am fortunate enough to own a new car that fits EVERYTHING I own in one trip. I have already informed the principal at my company that I am leaving for law school come the end of August, and depending on were else I get into will sublet an apartment in that town.  

You both were insulting and rude from the beginning. Implying that us wanting to make an informed decision and not rush into anything means we would not succeed in law or law school is an insult.  This thread is going so off topic. It was about trying to see who hadn't had their file evaluated at Western. Lets stick to that. If you want to have your debate on whether you can move cities to attend law school in a week, make your own thread. 

Edited by Lawstudent97

3 hours ago, DougFromOntario said:

No ideal situation? Getting an acceptance anytime before May seems pretty damn ideal.

You seem to be making some pretty bold assumptions, especially from a place where not many students are (or maybe I'm truly blind to the type of kids that end up at law school). Being able to move back to your parents place (maybe not so bold an assumption, but definitely not a reality for everyone), a car and no student loans... Cmon dude.

1 minute ago, thedraper said:

You seem to be making some pretty bold assumptions, especially from a place where not many students are (or maybe I'm truly blind to the type of kids that end up at law school). Being able to move back to your parents place (maybe not so bold an assumption, but definitely not a reality for everyone), a car and no student loans... Cmon dude.

If you work full time every summer of undergrad, even at minimum wage you're at $8,960 before taxes. Sprinkle in some part time at minimum wage during studies and an entrance bursary or two and you can make out ok for yourself. 

Now consider I did labor (construction) with nearly unlimited overtime and there you are with no student loans and a car.

I don't think its that bold to assume that, a minority of students graduate without debt, but are not quite vocal about it. 

8 minutes ago, thedraper said:

No ideal situation? Getting an acceptance anytime before May seems pretty damn ideal.

I appreciate this point, I think I took the work ideal a little too literally.  In the context of this thread that would be ideal you are correct. 

3 minutes ago, DougFromOntario said:

If you work full time every summer of undergrad, even at minimum wage you're at $8,960 before taxes. Sprinkle in some part time at minimum wage during studies and an entrance bursary or two and you can make out ok for yourself. 

Now consider I did labor (construction) with nearly unlimited overtime and there you are with no student loans and a car.

I don't think its that bold to assume that, a minority of students graduate without debt, but are not quite vocal about it. 

Okay, but I've worked more than minimum wage each summer and part-time during school. What about living costs?

Let's say I make about $15k in the year.

Tuition - $9k - $3k scholarship = $6k

Books - $1000

Living - $700 (rent) + $200 (groceries) + $200 (bills) (this is Ottawa I'm talking about)

= $14,206

And that does not even account for other misc expenses, like clothes and going to see a movie. Let alone a car.

I see where you're coming from, but it's not the norm. Note your minimum wage does not even cover living in Ottawa.

• Like 1

I’m glad this thread exists. I was starting to wonder if it was just me who was left in the dark regarding Western’s admissions. I applied on the deadline and wrote my lsat last September and I’m actually pretty surprised that they still haven’t looked at my application. I was accepted into Osgoode in early January (Ottawa, Queen’s as well) and received a full ride scholarship from Oz recently (deadline being May 6th to accept), but I waited out for the Western acceptance because I literally wanted the acceptance (yes, very vain of me, but I paid 100$+ for that application). It’s appalling that Western would take this long to even REVIEW my application and it’s a sign of serious incompetence in that department. I hope all of you get in and receive an apology for having your entire life put on hold. I also hope the bickering ceases since it’s petty and mean spirited to fault someone for feeling anxious when their whole life is in flux while waiting. Cheers. 

• Like 2

Is there anyone else who is still waiting? I haven't heard anything. I've provisionally accepted an offer from another school, which means I'll have to pay my $500 deposit next week. Trying to decide how long I should wait before the deadline to make the payment. Is no news good news or bad news?

17 hours ago, astrath said:

Is there anyone else who is still waiting? I haven't heard anything. I've provisionally accepted an offer from another school, which means I'll have to pay my $500 deposit next week. Trying to decide how long I should wait before the deadline to make the payment. Is no news good news or bad news?

They said earlier that they hope to have all their decisions made by May 31st and that if you haven't heard back by that point then to call them about it.

I'd say no news is good news though since it means you haven't been waitlisted or rejected yet.

• Like 1