2 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

Because U of A doesn't really offer any room for independent academic study, all the law schools I applied to in Canada either had a self research option or the specialization I wanted.  

Got it.

Thanks.

Declined my offer so it will open up a spot !! 

Best of luck to all of you waiting !! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I am going into my second year of law at TRU and can certainly relate to this waitlist forum. I thought I would take a look at the forum to see what is going on this year and remind myself of the anxiety and everything it caused my last year. 

It does appear that the school is getting more applications and making it even harder to get into compared to last year. I can say that offers continued last year right into the first week of classes. We had at least 3 student accept and join classes during the first week.  I believe all of their LSAT's were 150 on the dot. If everyone else jumps off the list and you don't mind a last minute move, it could be your ticket in the door. 

One thing I would suggest is that if you have multiple transcripts (multiple schools, re-took classes, etc) making up your GPA is try to average it out yourself and call Leanne to ask what she has your GPA calculated at. Last year myself and a couple other students had our GPA's calculated lower by TRU on accident, once we brought it to their attention and they realized, we got offers right away. Unfortunately, mistakes happen (often at applicant's detriment) and its good to double check.

If your LSAT is lower than 150, I would strongly suggest to re-write. As someone who wrote the LSAT 5 times,  I know how hard it is to stay motivated. I reached a point where no matter how many times I read Powerscore or Kaplan books, I couldn't score higher. There are lots of great tutors out there and I learned more in two months from a tutor than I ever could on my own. I raised my score by 10 points. If something isn't working, you need to change it up and try learning a different way.

For those of you complaining that you don't know what else you could do... It is important to take matters into your own hands and try to figure out why you're being rejected. On every letter there is a name at the bottom (not Leanne) who is in charge of the admissions committee. I would reach out by and see where you fell short. At TRU, they will often tell you what you can do to strengthen your application.  Saying "woe is me" and giving up is not the right answer.

I find it offensive when certain people on this forum are saying they don't want to go to school because they  want to start  a family or can't put their life on hold. If you really want it, you will put in whatever work necessary to make it and make it work once you get there. We have single parents raising kids and going to law school and doing whatever they can to keep their grades up and look after their kids. We have retirees who are following their dreams and pursuing a law degree. It may not be ideal timing for certain students, but people do drop their lives and go to school when they get the call. The world isn't perfect and things might not always work out the way you want to with respect to timing. There is a level of sacrifice many students make.

Edited by TRULAW2LADVICE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, TRULAW2LADVICE said:

Hi everyone,

I am going into my second year of law at TRU and can certainly relate to this waitlist forum. I thought I would take a look at the forum to see what is going on this year and remind myself of the anxiety and everything it caused my last year. 

It does appear that the school is getting more applications and making it even harder to get into compared to last year. I can say that offers continued last year right into the first week of classes. We had at least 3 student accept and join classes during the first week.  I believe all of their LSAT's were 150 on the dot. If everyone else jumps off the list and you don't mind a last minute move, it could be your ticket in the door. 

One thing I would suggest is that if you have multiple transcripts (multiple schools, re-took classes, etc) making up your GPA is try to average it out yourself and call Leanne to ask what she has your GPA calculated at. Last year myself and a couple other students had our GPA's calculated lower by TRU on accident, once we brought it to their attention and they realized, we got offers right away. Unfortunately, mistakes happen (often at applicant's detriment) and its good to double check.

If your LSAT is lower than 150, I would strongly suggest to re-write. As someone who wrote the LSAT 5 times,  I know how hard it is to stay motivated. I reached a point where no matter how many times I read Powerscore or Kaplan books, I couldn't score higher. There are lots of great tutors out there and I learned more in two months from a tutor than I ever could on my own. I raised my score by 10 points. If something isn't working, you need to change it up and try learning a different way.

For those of you complaining that you don't know what else you could do... It is important to take matters into your own hands and try to figure out why you're being rejected. On every letter there is a name at the bottom (not Leanne) who is in charge of the admissions committee. I would reach out by and see where you fell short. At TRU, they will often tell you what you can do to strengthen your application.  Saying "woe is me" and giving up is not the right answer.

I find it offensive when certain people on this forum are saying they don't want to go to school because they  want to start  a family or can't put their life on hold. If you really want it, you will put in whatever work necessary to make it and make it work once you get there. We have single parents raising kids and going to law school and doing whatever they can to keep their grades up and look after their kids. We have retirees who are following their dreams and pursuing a law degree. It may not be ideal timing for certain students, but people do drop their lives and go to school when they get the call. The world isn't perfect and things might not always work out the way you want to with respect to timing. There is a level of sacrifice many students make.

I appreciate the intent behind this post :)

My letter (email) didn't have any names at the bottom, the only name I've seen throughout the whole admissions process was Leanne Walker whom I tried communicating with NUMEROUS times throughout the last few months and was never able to reach. It's extremely frustrating to not even be able to find out what you were lacking or if your stats on file are correct or even know where you're at before this late into the year. If anyone does know someone other than Leanne to reach just to find out what we can do to improve our applications please let me know. Don't know if I will be re-applying in Canada but doesn't hurt to get some answers. 

And yes, TRU has become significantly more competitive. I personally know two people that got into TRU in 2017 with below 155 LSAT's it was a very common option for people that didn't score too high on the LSAT and is the only reason I really thought I'd get into TRU. Wish I was a few years older so I could've applied back in 2017 lol! 

19 minutes ago, TRULAW2LADVICE said:

Hi everyone,

No one on this forum so far has said "woe is me," there is frustration absolutely but please show me where people have said "woe is me" 

No one is quitting either, and no has said they wouldn't contact the schools about improving.

Also, no one has said they wouldn't go to school because they wanted to start a family or put their life on hold. 

I'm not sure where you took these comments from and make sure to remember people are venting but no one has said or done any of things you suggested they did. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TRULAW2LADVICE said:

Hi everyone,

So i've gone through all the rejection posts in this thread and literally no one made the statements that you said they made and it's pretty obvious you're referring to the statements I made, the statements that i specifically said I wouldn't be giving up, but that I was frustrated that after everything i had been through to still be rejected.

It's so arrogant that you think people are just sitting here and wallowing and they haven't already taken measures to ask what they could have improved, I did the minute i got the rejection and i'll even screen shot it for you with a time stamp. 

And again, no one even said they wouldn't go to law school because they had to start a family, I said it would suck to be 30, and have to be thinking of big life decisions like starting a family when i was finally working, and before this i literally said I would still be reapplying. 

So please, actually read the full comments instead of trying to make some inspiring post that didn't even have the correct information.

We all understand the sacrifice. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

So i've gone through all the rejection posts in this thread and literally no one made the statements that you said they made and it's pretty obvious you're referring to the statements I made, the statements that i specifically said I wouldn't be giving up, but that I was frustrated that after everything i had been through to still be rejected.

It's so arrogant that you think people are just sitting here and wallowing and they haven't already taken measures to ask what they could have improved, I did the minute i got the rejection and i'll even screen shot it for you with a time stamp. 

And again, no one even said they wouldn't go to law school because they had to start a family, I said it would suck to be 30, and have to be thinking of big life decisions like starting a family when i was finally working, and before this i literally said I would still be reapplying. 

So please, actually read the full comments instead of trying to make some inspiring post that didn't even have the correct information.

We all understand the sacrifice. 

I'm not here to argue with you. You talk a lot for someone who has been rejected everywhere. I simply offering advice to some people still waiting. Take it for what you want.

Just now, TRULAW2LADVICE said:

I'm not here to argue with you. You talk a lot for someone who has been rejected everywhere. I simply offering advice to some people still waiting. Take it for what you want.

My issue was that your advice was based on my comments that you completely lied about. No one has said woe is me, no one said they weren't going to go to law school because of family or life, so don't say you're offended when those statements weren't even made. 

And thanks man, as someone who lost both his parents during his undergrad, worked through all of it to get a good scholarship for a masters, work my LSAT up to a 155 only to be rejected, i'm glad that means I talk to much. Yeah, i'm going to bitch because it hurts, I'm reapplying, rewriting the LSAT and hopefully I'll get in next year. Your comment was completely unnecessary. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, TRULAW2LADVICE said:

This is really rude. 

His stats are a lot higher than many of the applicants that have been ACCEPTED to TRU this year and a large majority of the ones accepted previous years. "For someone who has been rejected everywhere" wow. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AKJ said:

This is really rude. 

His stats are a lot higher than many of the applicants that have been ACCEPTED to TRU this year and a large majority of the ones accepted previous years. "For someone who has been rejected everywhere" wow. 

Exactly, he should check to see if his grades are input correctly. I am willing to bet there is a mistake.

Posted (edited)

I’m debating on whether retaking the test in september will be beneficial for me or if I should head on abroad. This be my third time applying. I’m a little nervous as this is a super competitive process. It was pretty crushing to not get in again

Edited by 604wannabelawyer

I was rejected from the waitlist yesterday. I wonder how many people actually stayed on the waitlist?

This was my second year applying to law schools, and I don't think I want to retake the LSAT. I have worked in a law firm for over two years, and law school seemed like the logical next step, but I have found a few masters programs that I am really interested in and I'm trying to keep an open mind. Maybe it's the universe nudging me in another direction!

For those of you who are taking the LSAT again and applying for next intake, good luck!

And to everyone else, just remember that there are plenty of other options out there, and maybe with enough research you will find a different program that you are interested in.

All the best!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:51 PM, SpaceLawyer said:

After being told I was in a great spot on the waitlist to being rejected. Solid. It's really hard not to be extremely frustrated. CGPA 3.7, MA 4.0, LSAT 155. Special Circumstances. 

I WAS TOLD THE SAMETHING! 

Leanne told me these exact words, I remember vividly because she really got my hopes up “I would have accepted you last year, but don’t worry love, you are going to be surprised by your results, just be patient.” 

So then I asked “ok, thanks so much for the encouragement! When will I hear back” 

she says “next Friday you should hear back, at least an update.”

..5 Friday’s went by only to find out I got rejected. Hard to trust adcom people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's try to keep this thread helpful and be mindful of peoples' frustration at the process. Thank you.

Also, a reminder that only one account is allowed here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrimNation said:

I WAS TOLD THE SAMETHING! 

Leanne told me these exact words, I remember vividly because she really got my hopes up “I would have accepted you last year, but don’t worry love, you are going to be surprised by your results, just be patient.” 

So then I asked “ok, thanks so much for the encouragement! When will I hear back” 

she says “next Friday you should hear back, at least an update.”

..5 Friday’s went by only to find out I got rejected. Hard to trust adcom people. 

Trust me, I know exactly how you feel, when I heard it I was like "Yes, i'm almost there!" 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, puhlease said:

Has anyone heard anything from leanne recently? 😫

she's on vacation until 14

1 hour ago, SammyS said:

she's on vacation until 14

2 hours ago, puhlease said:

Has anyone heard anything from leanne recently? 😫

I honestly think we wont hear anything until late August when tuition is due. I personally know two people who have put deposits for TRU but were later accepted off waitlist for another school that they will now be attending. However, neither have told TRU their decision yet. 

ugh. i just wish people were considerate enough to inform the school as soon as theyve decided to go a different path. Its so hard putting my entire life on a hold while waiting for TRU’s acceptance or rejection :(

• Sad 1