20 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

No I haven't, this has to be the shittiest experience I have ever had and I really don't mean to bitch but I literally had both my parents die in my undergrad and I kept a 3.7 CGPA, I did all the extracurricular, got academically recognized, completed a masters and have a 155 LSAT. I frankly don't know what the hell else I can do. 

If that had happened in my life, I have no idea where I’d be, but I can tell you I’d have nowhere near a 3.7 and close to a law school acceptance like you are. This feels like crap and I can empathize to an extent (I have gone through my own share of rough). But be proud of yourself for coming out of it on the other side the way you have.

If you *want* to and have the ability, apply again because I think you will get in. If not, remember that a JD isn’t everything; you know that better than anyone, having faced the adversity you’ve overcome. Best of luck with whatever choice you make. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MB350 said:

If that had happened in my life, I have no idea where I’d be, but I can tell you I’d have nowhere near a 3.7 and close to a law school acceptance like you are. This feels like crap and I can empathize to an extent (I have gone through my own share of rough). But be proud of yourself for coming out of it on the other side the way you have.

If you *want* to and have the ability, apply again because I think you will get in. If not, remember that a JD isn’t everything; you know that better than anyone, having faced the adversity you’ve overcome. Best of luck with whatever choice you make. 

Honestly, not to be rude but it doesn't matter, a JD isn't everything to a lot of people but it is to me, I didn't care where I got in, I just wanted to practice law.

Be proud of what? I didn't let their deaths define me, it didn't mean anything, I overcame it all and what did it do for me? nothing, I just had the stats that would be necessary for getting into law school and evidently that has done dick all for me. It's been such a slap in the face, I got waitlisted at Ottawa U last year with a lower LSAT and no MA to only be rejected this year with a better one and a masters degree. 

I will be applying again, because frankly, what other choice do I have? it just royally screws everything up because of how old i'll be, the thousand dollars i'll have to respend on applications and the LSAT because evidently 155 wasn't high enough and by the time I start actually practicing I will have absolutely zero time before I have to start making the huge life decisions about families with absolutely zero financing to back it up. 

There's a few U.S law schools still accepting applications and I may try for the UK even though those deadlines passed. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MB350 said:

And trust me, I don't say that lightly, I turned down a double digit PhD scholarship because I believed I was getting in, and I just love law way more. 

Rejected via email earlier today. Was on the waitlist and applied under special circumstances,

Just now, marsplastic said:

Rejected via email earlier today. Was on the waitlist and applied under special circumstances,

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? 

26 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

Honestly, not to be rude but it doesn't matter, a JD isn't everything to a lot of people but it is to me, I didn't care where I got in, I just wanted to practice law.

Be proud of what? I didn't let their deaths define me, it didn't mean anything, I overcame it all and what did it do for me? nothing, I just had the stats that would be necessary for getting into law school and evidently that has done dick all for me. It's been such a slap in the face, I got waitlisted at Ottawa U last year with a lower LSAT and no MA to only be rejected this year with a better one and a masters degree. 

I will be applying again, because frankly, what other choice do I have? it just royally screws everything up because of how old i'll be, the thousand dollars i'll have to respend on applications and the LSAT because evidently 155 wasn't high enough and by the time I start actually practicing I will have absolutely zero time before I have to start making the huge life decisions about families with absolutely zero financing to back it up. 

There's a few U.S law schools still accepting applications and I may try for the UK even though those deadlines passed. 

I think right now hearing don't worry, or its going to be okay isn't helpful to you. take a night off blow off some steam and then figure out what comes next. I'm sorry this happened to you. chin up because you literally have no other choice it's either pick up the pieces or be miserable. Honestly it seems like you've worked to damn hard for it to be the latter. good luck i'm sending out positive vibes into the universe for you.

23 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

Hey, I just wanted to reach out and mention I've been through similar things as you and I feel just the same, extremely disappointed and exhausted. Although I didn't lose two parents, I lost my father in my third year of undergrad finals. Wrote a lot about what events (relevant to this and other) I overcame in my personal statement for TRU and clearly that wasn't enough. I don't even know how holistic TRU really is anymore. Your GPA and LSAT are both higher than mine so I commend you there and you should have definitely been accepted. I've been active on these forums for a long time and I have noted many applicants who have received offers with lower stats than yours. I'm also looking into any other options available as I only see law as my goal as well. I've found a few US and UK options still open this late into the cycle, personal message me if you want to discuss them as I am still deciding as well. With your stats however, applying to Canadian schools would be a better option. 

For everyone else, I too have received an email today letting me know my name has been taken off wait list. This was my second time applying to TRU so I doubt I will apply again to this school. Good luck to everyone who remains on the list! Still waiting on one more Canadian school to get back to me otherwise i'll either be re-writing the LSAT and waiting another year or going abroad. If anyone has any advice on what to do from here please feel free to message me.

152 LSAT, 3.4 cgpa, around 3.7/3.8 L2 

Lots of work and volunteer experience in 3 different law firms. 

References from a professor I had during undergrad and a lawyer that's known me for over 6 years.

Got rejected today and knocked off the waitlist. I can definitely relate to the frustration and anxiety I see on this waitlist. I’ve been rejected two cycles so it’s disheartening. But some of the best and greatest people are made by going through the worst of struggles. So I hope that we don’t lose that light and know that you are extremely talented (my stats weren’t even as comparable) and that it’ll work out when it’s meant to 😊

• Like 1

I am so sorry about all of this guys. I have been rejected as well (was expecting it) but Leanne said this year it was extremely competitive - the most it has ever been! She told me with my stats, I would surprisingly would have got in last year. 

This year over 3200 people applied - so people feel great that you were on a waitlist. I have a great L2 but my LSAT's were horrible and she said in order to be considered I need a 155+. It is starting to get more competitive so just put in the work for the LSAT. 

For someone who has had better experiences with the LSAT - I am not giving up, if you trouble with anxiety - apply for accommodations which I what I have done. 

They are changing the policy for rewrites - so take advantage of that and rewrite before it is restricted. WORK HARD TO INCREASE YOUR LSAT!!!

21 minutes ago, 604wannabelawyer said:

Got rejected today and knocked off the waitlist. I can definitely relate to the frustration and anxiety I see on this waitlist. I’ve been rejected two cycles so it’s disheartening. But some of the best and greatest people are made by going through the worst of struggles. So I hope that we don’t lose that light and know that you are extremely talented (my stats weren’t even as comparable) and that it’ll work out when it’s meant to 😊

1 hour ago, AKJ said:

Hey, I just wanted to reach out and mention I've been through similar things as you and I feel just the same, extremely disappointed and exhausted. Although I didn't lose two parents, I lost my father in my third year of undergrad finals. Wrote a lot about what events (relevant to this and other) I overcame in my personal statement for TRU and clearly that wasn't enough. I don't even know how holistic TRU really is anymore. Your GPA and LSAT are both higher than mine so I commend you there and you should have definitely been accepted. I've been active on these forums for a long time and I have noted many applicants who have received offers with lower stats than yours. I'm also looking into any other options available as I only see law as my goal as well. I've found a few US and UK options still open this late into the cycle, personal message me if you want to discuss them as I am still deciding as well. With your stats however, applying to Canadian schools would be a better option. 

For everyone else, I too have received an email today letting me know my name has been taken off wait list. This was my second time applying to TRU so I doubt I will apply again to this school. Good luck to everyone who remains on the list! Still waiting on one more Canadian school to get back to me otherwise i'll either be re-writing the LSAT and waiting another year or going abroad. If anyone has any advice on what to do from here please feel free to message me.

References from a professor I had during undergrad and a lawyer that's known me for over 6 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpaceLawyer said:

I didn't apply anywhere in the prairies because my academic interests were at other schools

Get your LSAT to 160 you will get into UVic next cycle.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, AKJ said:

Msg sent! Thank you for this, I was extremely frustrated yesterday and just took the time to be away from all the law school stuff. I'm sorry to hear about your father, i know what it's like to have to overcome something like that and it isn't easy. It's the age for me right now, their deaths put me way behind and every year i'm out is another year off my career and the time i have to advance it before I have to think about having a family. I'm not someone who particularly wants to have kids at 40. I'm definitely going abroad at this point, after being waitlisted at Ottawa U last year with worse stats to being rejected this year with better ones, it's starting to feel like a crap shoot and I really don't have the time for that. 

13 hours ago, NeverGiveUp said:

Get your LSAT to 160 you will get into UVic next cycle.

Good luck!

Not to be that guy, but unless you're part of the adcom, please stop saying you'll get into this school or that school, you really don't know and while I appreciate you're trying to be supportive, it doesn't do anything for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IWantJD said:

I think right now hearing don't worry, or its going to be okay isn't helpful to you. take a night off blow off some steam and then figure out what comes next. I'm sorry this happened to you. chin up because you literally have no other choice it's either pick up the pieces or be miserable. Honestly it seems like you've worked to damn hard for it to be the latter. good luck i'm sending out positive vibes into the universe for you.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, SpaceLawyer said:

Not to be that guy, but unless you're part of the adcom, please stop saying you'll get into this school or that school, you really don't know and while I appreciate you're trying to be supportive, it doesn't do anything for me. 

UofA and UVic's admissions are index based - it is easy to calculate their indexes.

Anyway got you.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, NeverGiveUp said:

UofA and UVic's admissions are index based - it is easy to calculate their indexes.

Anyway got you.

Good luck!

I apologize for sounding snappy. I'm just extremely frustrated. I appreciate you providing the info.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

I apologize for sounding snappy. I'm just extremely frustrated. I appreciate you providing the info.

No worries - I feel your pain.

UofA index:

L2 GPA out of 4.0 * 22.5 + LSAT (Average) >= 242 -- auto admit (most likely)

UVic index:

CGPA with drops (in 4.33 scale) * 125 +  highest LSAT percentile * 5 >= 905 -- auto admit (most likely).

If your index is above 880 you will have a chance to get in through the wait-list.

https://www.uvic.ca/law/assets/docs/admissfinaid/LSAT-GPA Demographic Chart.pdf

Here is the info regarding the drops:

https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/52391-drops-with-more-than-120-credits/

One thing I don't understand:

You are going to a foreign law school but don't want to go to UofA?

Edited by NeverGiveUp

43 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

No worries - I feel your pain.

UofA index:

L2 GPA out of 4.0 * 22.5 + LSAT (Average) >= 242 -- auto admit (most likely)

UVic index:

CGPA with drops (in 4.33 scale) * 125 +  highest LSAT percentile * 5 >= 905 -- auto admit (most likely).

If your index is above 880 you will have a chance to get in through the wait-list.

https://www.uvic.ca/law/assets/docs/admissfinaid/LSAT-GPA Demographic Chart.pdf

Here is the info regarding the drops:

https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/52391-drops-with-more-than-120-credits/

One thing I don't understand:

You are going to a foreign law school but don't want to go to UofA?

Because U of A doesn't really offer any room for independent academic study, all the law schools I applied to in Canada either had a self research option or the specialization I wanted.  

• Thanks 1