• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Agreed with what has been said. Also fully agree that I wouldn't make a distinction between who is a partner and who is not. Partners are just people who've been at it a long while and have been successful. Let's not put them on a pedestal and then be intimidated. Perhaps you should be prepared to talk about your articling experience, the types of things you worked on, what you liked, what you learned, and anything you can share that is either not privileged or, if privileged, that partner you're talking to was the one working on the file, or one of their associates. At this point you're trying to break into commercial real estate so there's not really a point to ask, "why did you choose this area of law" or similar, because you're not trying to weigh if this is the area you want to get into. You already know that.  Also be forewarned that it may be that some partners are only meeting with you as a favour to the in house lawyers who are their clients, or using it as a fishing expedition to see how your company chooses its external counsel, what other firms/lawyers work for your company, maybe some inside intel. Just don't be naive about that.
    • A little more patience. It sounds like you already know the general terms of the position. It would be nice to know your starting date I suppose. IIRC in Ontario the only thing that needs to be filed with the LSO at the commencement of articles has a deadline of ten days after articles begin, so it's not like your principal is missing deadlines or anything. I am assuming they have already been approved by the LSO to act as a principal but even if not, I think that is a very simple application that only takes like two weeks for the LSO to process.  If more time goes by and still nothing, make it clear in your next communication that you simply want confirmation of a small number of specific details (your starting date, for example). Simplify the requested task. Honestly, all you really need is the starting date. What else do you need to know? As long as you know that, you can just show up in your cheapest suit on that day and be told the rest.  Looking for other positions or contacting the LSO seems bananas considering you have received a detailed written offer and you accepted it. I suppose there is a nightmare scenario where something has happened at the firm and they have to cancel the arrangement, essentially retracting the offer you accepted. At some point you could express your concern and ask, should I worry about my articling position with the firm?
    • Access applicants, sadly, are reviewed relatively late in the cycle, maybe sometime in the March-April-May with the holistic applicants. Just hang on tight one week at a time, the action begins next week 
    • Le bureau de Québec ou bien Montréal ? 
    • Thanks everyone. I decided not to ask because I am not accepting the offer for other reasons.