Sign in to follow this  
Smorr53

Scholarships, Awards & Financing

Hey everyone, I was accepted to U of C and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about financing options available to in-coming students. Additionally,  for 2L / 3L students, what type of marks are necessary in 1L to receive academic scholarships/ awards ?

If you have government student loan debt over a certain threshold (not sure what it is anymore), you get a differential tuition bursary of ~$5K. I just checked and there’s 13 major 1L awards (some in excess of tuition). That’s about 10% of the class. And there’s other (likely more need-based) scholarships/bursaries as well. I think I got the 5k differential and then others totalling another 5k.

For 2/3L, I think I paid a grand total of $700. I had good grades, but I think need may play a factor as I had significant debt and zero assets. 

I personally think U of C has one of the more generous financial aid programs. My theory is that they attract per more donations per student since there’s only 350-400 students total in the second largest legal market. But I have literally nothing to support that other than my own musings. Even so, the sticker price for the entire degree is only ~$40k.

17 hours ago, MinesAndMinerals said:

If you have government student loan debt over a certain threshold (not sure what it is anymore), you get a differential tuition bursary of ~$5K. I just checked and there’s 13 major 1L awards (some in excess of tuition). That’s about 10% of the class. And there’s other (likely more need-based) scholarships/bursaries as well. I think I got the 5k differential and then others totalling another 5k.

For 2/3L, I think I paid a grand total of $700. I had good grades, but I think need may play a factor as I had significant debt and zero assets. 

I personally think U of C has one of the more generous financial aid programs. My theory is that they attract per more donations per student since there’s only 350-400 students total in the second largest legal market. But I have literally nothing to support that other than my own musings. Even so, the sticker price for the entire degree is only ~$40k.

What grades did you get in 1L/ 2L ?

So I just filled out a generic application on My Calgary, is that the only form I need to fill out to be considered for scholarships?

3 minutes ago, IrishStew said:

So I just filled out a generic application on My Calgary, is that the only form I need to fill out to be considered for scholarships?

Thats what I did, I believe so

• Like 1

Dean's List in 1L/2L + demonstrated financial need will generally get you enough to cover almost all of your tuition - if not exceed it.

3 hours ago, AudreyBerry said:

Dean's List in 1L/2L + demonstrated financial need will generally get you enough to cover almost all of your tuition - if not exceed it.

Is Dean's List top 10%?

37 minutes ago, IrishStew said:

Is Dean's List top 10%?

Top ten students in each year of the program. So top ~8%.

Edited by MinesAndMinerals

On 4/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, MinesAndMinerals said:

Top ten students in each year of the program. So top ~8%.

Tack on note - Seems like students who just missed the cut still recieved their fair share of scholarships / bursaries but being on the DL definitely gave them a bump.

Disclaimer: I don't have any official information / insight - solely my personal observations from speaking with colleagues.