Does accepting the waitlist effect your chances with other schools? Or is accepting it locking you into Western?

5 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

For fuck's sake. Waiting list.

3.25, 3.73, 164, MA, Access. Guess it's time to go back and increase my cGPA. I suppose hardly anyone gets accepted off the waitlist?

Western doesn't accept too many off waitlist? 

31 minutes ago, Pclaw said:

Western doesn't accept too many off waitlist? 

I don't think so. There are no rankings.

5 hours ago, iWantToBeAccepted123 said:

Yes, and you can either accept or decline the waitlist offer.

Can you elaborate on this? Is it done on their portal or on OLSAS? Does accepting it on their portal (if that's how it's done) get back to OLSAS somehow?

2 hours ago, HopefulLawStu said:

Does accepting the waitlist effect your chances with other schools? Or is accepting it locking you into Western?

I assume it doesn't have an effect on other school applications? Can anyone confirm?

3 hours ago, HopefulLawStu said:

No it doesn’t affect your chances with other schools - you can be on multiple wait lists at once. You aren’t accepting any actual offer on Oasis. Last year I was waitlisted at western and still got on the queens waitlist a couple weeks afterwards. 

11 hours ago, usrockband said:

Wait list!

cgpa: 3.07

L2: 3.71

LSAT: 164

tf, how many courses were you taking in your L2?

Waitlisted 

cGPA- 3.6 

LSAT 165 

will be declining waitlist 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, thedraper said:

Can you elaborate on this? Is it done on their portal or on OLSAS? Does accepting it on their portal (if that's how it's done) get back to OLSAS somehow?

It's done on their portal so they can contact you if a space opens up. It doesn't affect OLSAS.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, enviroyorkie said:

cGPA: 3.54, L2/B2: 3.72, LSAT: 166 (highest)

Most likely will be declining!

wow, how many courses did you have in your B2?

On 4/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, usrockband said:

Yeah I think they do place a considerable amount of weight on cGPA. It does say on the website that they prefer a high cGPA to a high L2, by and large.

Seems to me that’s Queens and Dal are better bets for L2 applicants than Western.

Where on Westerns website does it say that they prefer a high cGPA as opposed to L2? 

This is what I found on the website: 

"A competitive candidate in the General Category will have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate university study, (although most of our admitted students have completed a four-year degree), have an A- (82-84%) (GPA 3.7) average preferably overall, but particularly for the last two full years of study, and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile (160 or above)."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shea said:

Where on Westerns website does it say that they prefer a high cGPA as opposed to L2? 

This is what I found on the website: 

"A competitive candidate in the General Category will have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate university study, (although most of our admitted students have completed a four-year degree), have an A- (82-84%) (GPA 3.7) average preferably overall, but particularly for the last two full years of study, and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile (160 or above)."

One could interpret this as meaning "we prefer candidates to have both a 3.7 GPA and a 3.7 in the last two years." This is what I take from it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

One could interpret this as meaning "we prefer candidates to have both a 3.7 GPA and a 3.7 in the last two years." This is what I take from it.

I generally agree with your interpretation although I have an impression that Western Law has been significantly using holistic evaluations of applicants since the appointment of its new dean.

Thus, I think that Western law's admission decisions would be quite unpredictable.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums

8 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

If you read it carefully you would notice it says: "preferably" overall but "particularly" for the last two years. I definitely think a 3.7 cGPA is an asset and would make you a stronger candidate, but the wording indicates an emphasis on the last two years. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, Maradona said:

wow, how many courses did you have in your B2?

Full course-load for both years!

Status changed today, cgpa 3.84, L2: 3.9, LSAT: 158

Posted (edited)

Waitlisted today.

cGPA 2.98, L2 3.70, 159

Didn’t get an email, signed into student centre and saw the status change

Edited by miamibig3

Waitlisted.  Notified to check via email.

3.53, 3.85 L2, 158

Will be declining for Osgoode.

• Like 1