Posted (edited)

Does anyone have an idea about how TRU calculates its index scores? Is TRU a GPA or an LSAT heavy school?

Edited by Yabbie

TRU is a holistic school, they do not use a generic stats based index. Your references and ECs are far more important than other schools. That being said a higher GPA and LSAT score are beneficial but if you happened to have good references, ECs and a high GPA your LSAT score will be weighted more lightly.

Exactly what @KJR said. TRU arguably cares more about your ECs and life experience than any other law school in Canada. It's not like with UBC where you can estimate your odds of being accepted by using an algorithm.

I spoke with Leanne, and she did mention index scores and commented on mine. It seems like she calculates the index and then sends it out to reviewers. While it may be a holistic school, they still have some measurement. Im interested in knowing how much weight is allocated to the LSAT vs the GPA, and how the index is seen relative to the softs.

When the dean of TRU visited my uni to speak about TRU Law he was hesitant to say exactly how the scores are calculated.

He stated its roughly 60% GPA (L2)  and 40% LSAT; however, since they are such a holistic school that doesn't really mean much. Your LOR and EC's can play a significant role in whether or not you are admitted to the program.

I am also wondering how the rolling admissions process works and how much of an index score is relative to the date applied - because it is advertised on the TRU website.

When I spoke to admissions I was told they fill the quota for the seats for that year based on application date (and of course statistics & soft factors) - so does this mean they could potentially not even review all of the candidates before deciding?  How would that impact higher stats that applied close to the end of the deadline (and vice versa)? 

I'm basically just wondering how much of a role the application date could play in terms of waitlist ordering or how much of a % of index score each earlier application date is.

Any ideas?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, learning31 said:

how much of a role the application date could play in terms of waitlist ordering

Anecdotally I bet the waitlist is ordered based on stats first, and then date of application. The school has been known to bump you up the waitlist if you let them know for a fact that you'll go to TRU over any other school. They'd rather not offer someone a spot from the waitlist only to have that person reneg later in the summer to go somewhere else.

Edited by canuckfanatic