PIW

in-house union salaries

Hi all - I am a new call and am considering an in-house counsel position with a trade union.  They've asked me to provide salary expectations, and I'd like to be as informed as possible.  

Does anyone have any guidance on where I could look for salaries apart from the smattering of union counsel postings I can find on google?  I would also be grateful if anyone is or has worked in-house for a union before and could share their salary/benefits.  PMs would be helpful if that's more comfortable!  And data is helpful at this point.  Thanks in advance.

I don't have any inside information on unions, but I've been doing management side for 10 years, including hiring in house and for a firm. My gut would say about $70-75K for a union in house new call.

Posted (edited)

In-house union varies, but a safe bet is to look at that union's Labour Relations Officer salaries and ask for something in that ballpark. Most LROs are unionized themselves, so their salaries should be publicly available. I'm in Alberta, where LROs make between $110-$120 k (plus benefits, car allowances, etc.), so I would expect most unions would be expecting to pay at least that for in-house.

You can also check out the job board for the Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers (here). Some postings (not all) have salary ranges. 

Good luck!

Edited by jjbean
  • Like 1

That is a top Bay St salary for a new call. I highly doubt a union in house position is paying that. But like I said, I have no inside information.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jjbean said:

In-house union varies, but a safe bet is to look at that union's Labour Relations Officer salaries and ask for something in that ballpark. Most LROs are unionized themselves, so their salaries should be publicly available. I'm in Alberta, where LROs make between $110-$120 k (plus benefits, car allowances, etc.), so I would expect most unions would be expecting to pay at least that for in-house.

You can also check out the job board for the Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers (here). Some postings (not all) have salary ranges. 

Good luck!

Thanks, that’s helpful!

20 hours ago, Jaggers said:

That is a top Bay St salary for a new call. I highly doubt a union in house position is paying that. But like I said, I have no inside information.

In-house union is comparatively high because their staff are unionized. That being said, I think it's rare for a new call to move in house to a union. They would generally want some experience first. 

In Toronto depending on the union I would say most make between 90-130. A few unions pay quite a bit more than that. I know of at least one construction union that was paying its lawyers substantially more (in the neighborhood of 175k).

3 hours ago, dan1010 said:

In Toronto depending on the union I would say most make between 90-130. A few unions pay quite a bit more than that. I know of at least one construction union that was paying its lawyers substantially more (in the neighborhood of 175k).

Thanks! That’s helpful. That’s the range I understood as well, for the most part. Most Toronto postings seem to be around 90-105k or so.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:54 PM, Jaggers said:

I don't have any inside information on unions, but I've been doing management side for 10 years, including hiring in house and for a firm. My gut would say about $70-75K for a union in house new call.

In my experience this is on the low side if we are talking about the Toronto market.