Hydarnes

3.5 L2, 173 LSAT, seeking some reassurance/information

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I had an amazing 3rd year at school where I ended with a 3.9 gpa for the year, but some mental issues that have been simmering for a long time came to the fore in this final year and my GPA suffered significantly. Last term I withdrew from a course mid term to reduce the load to 4, and if I don't withdraw from one that's been disastrous this term (literally because I stayed in bed for a solid 2 weeks and got 60% late marks deducted from the final paper) I'll be finishing with an L2 grade of 3.48-3.55. Should I go for and achieve a retroactive withdrawal, which lets me withdraw without failure, I'll have an L2 GPA ~3.7, but my final year will be completed with only 4 classes per term and two withdraws on the record. 

Personally my two top schools are Western and Queens (in that order) and while it seems I'll be fine with 4 classes per term at Queens, the only info I see on the Western FAQ is that a full course load is "5.0 full or equivalent courses over the academic year". Does anyone know what this entails? 2.5 courses per term seems way too low and that's what I'm deriving from "academic year", while if the meaning is 5 courses for term that basically means I'm screwed for UWO. Also, any general advice on if the retroactive withdraw is worth seeking out would be appreciated. I got pretty lucky with the LSAT (thank god) but I'm worried I've managed to hurt my gpa enough to not get into my schools.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hydarnes
I wrote LSAT as GPA in the title @[email protected]

No offence, but just how many law school applicants do you think have a 99th percentile on the LSAT?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

No offence, but just how many law school applicants do you think have a 99th percentile on the LSAT?

None taken. I know my LSAT is exceptional, I'm just worried that:

a) having a course load of 4 classes per term this year will knock me out of even being looked at for Western.

b) The reduction in grades this year will look really bad on me, as it coming after such a good year in 3rd year will make me look unstable. 

c) whether pushing for the retroactive withdrawal in that one course would or wouldn't be better than just taking the horrendous mark I'm going to come out with.

Maybe I have no reason to be worried and this just looks like me trying to flex my LSAT, but I assure you that's not my intention. I've had a really rough year and am one big ball of anxiety right now. 

9 minutes ago, Hydarnes said:

None taken. I know my LSAT is exceptional, I'm just worried that:

a) having a course load of 4 classes per term this year will knock me out of even being looked at for Western.

b) The reduction in grades this year will look really bad on me, as it coming after such a good year in 3rd year will make me look unstable. 

c) whether pushing for the retroactive withdrawal in that one course would or wouldn't be better than just taking the horrendous mark I'm going to come out with.

Maybe I have no reason to be worried and this just looks like me trying to flex my LSAT, but I assure you that's not my intention. I've had a really rough year and am one big ball of anxiety right now. 

This is obviously speculation because I’m not and have never been on an admissions committee. I think your chances are extremely strong considering your exceptional LSAT. I would just make sure you explain in your personal statement a) what went wrong to cause your decline in performance this year, and b) why you’re past that now and see nothing but success for yourself going forward

• Like 1

Just now, NeverGiveUp said:

Amazing LSAT score!

What are your cGPA and B3?

So if I don't get the retroactive withdrawal from the class I'm doing really poorly in, I think the worst possible result I could have is: cGPA: 3.39, L2: 3.52 , B3: 3.54 .

Should I withdraw from this course, the worst possible result I can have is: cGPA: 3.45, L2: 3.67, B3: 3.7 

Thanks for the reply!

2 minutes ago, Hydarnes said:

So if I don't get the retroactive withdrawal from the class I'm doing really poorly in, I think the worst possible result I could have is: cGPA: 3.39, L2: 3.52 , B3: 3.54 .

Should I withdraw from this course, the worst possible result I can have is: cGPA: 3.45, L2: 3.67, B3: 3.7 

Thanks for the reply!

You will get into UofA, Queens, Western, Ottawa, UBC, UVic and UofT, etc.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

You will get into UofA, Queens, Western, Ottawa, UBC, UVic and UofT, etc.

Good luck!

Oh man you think so? Even if I don't manage to withdraw this class pulling me down? I would quite literally be happy with any single one of those (minus alberta, don't wanna live there haha). That's definitely doing my anxious self wonders. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Hydarnes

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hydarnes said:

Oh man you think so? Even if I don't manage to withdraw this class pulling me down? I would quite literally be happy with any single one of those (minus alberta, don't wanna live there haha). That's definitely doing my anxious self wonders. Thanks a lot!

You only need above 77% GPA (after drops) for UBC.

If your GPA after drops is 79% or above you are a shoe in for UBC.

http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/Predict

Edited by NeverGiveUp
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Hydarnes said:

having a course load of 4 classes per term this year will knock me out of even being looked at for Western.

I took 4 per term for my entire undergrad and had a 3.4 L2 and 164 LSAT and was waitlisted at Western in 2017 (I accepted an offer elsewhere and didn't end up going to Western).

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

• Like 1

Withdraw if you can, but even a 3.39 with a 173 is nothing to scoff at. You may not be a for-sure at the cGPA schools like Osgoode but if you explain your situation I think your prior marks and LSAT will reasonably make the case for you. 

You'll get in somewhere I think. Good luck!

• Like 2

If Western is your first choice then just don’t drop and apply. You’ll get in with the stats you will have if you don’t drop anyway. But if you do drop you would probably have a good chance of acceptance at great schools like UBC, UofT, and Osgoode as well. So that’s something to consider.

1 hour ago, Orches said:

If Western is your first choice then just don’t drop and apply. You’ll get in with the stats you will have if you don’t drop anyway. But if you do drop you would probably have a good chance of acceptance at great schools like UBC, UofT, and Osgoode as well. So that’s something to consider.

To be honest I thought UBC was out of my reach, so I didn't even consider it. I think I'm going to drop so I have a shot at UBC, would like nothing more than to spend my law school years in that beautiful province. Thanks for the reply!

Posted (edited)

If it helps at all, I wound up with less than favorable grades in my undergrad (CGPA ~3.3) due to some mental health stuff. 

Not only that, I took a correspondence writing course at Humber after my undergrad and withdrew from it half way through which obviously not a great look. 

BUT I did well on my LSATs (171), I had good EC's, some solid work and volunteer experience and I wrote the hell out of my personal statement.       

I got into Osgoode (my first choice) back in January and I firm accepted so I don't whether I would have gotten into anywhere else. But this is all to say that, while having mediocre grades definitely makes the process a little more stressful, it doesn't take you out of the running by a long shot. Whether you withdraw or not, I would just strongly suggest that you figure out a way to address the clear change in your academic achievement in your final year. There is a way to do it where you are focusing on what you learnt from that chapter and how it's made you even more likely to succeed in school, rather than just sounding like you are making excuses (which I was very afraid of doing). You are definitely going to get into a bunch of schools, don't stress too hard!

Edited by LoblawLawBlog
spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LoblawLawBlog said:

If it helps at all, I wound up with less than favorable grades in my undergrad (CGPA ~3.3) due to some mental health stuff. 

Not only that, I took a correspondence writing course at Humber after my undergrad and withdrew from it half way through which obviously not a great look. 

BUT I did well on my LSATs (171), I had good EC's, some solid work and volunteer experience and I wrote the hell out of my personal statement.       

I got into Osgoode (my first choice) back in January and I firm accepted so I don't whether I would have gotten into anywhere else. But this is all to say that, while having mediocre grades definitely makes the process a little more stressful, it doesn't take you out of the running by a long shot. Whether you withdraw or not, I would just strongly suggest that you figure out a way to address the clear change in your academic achievement in your final year. There is a way to do it where you are focusing on what you learnt from that chapter and how it's made you even more likely to succeed in school, rather than just sounding like you are making excuses (which I was very afraid of doing). You are definitely going to get into a bunch of schools, don't stress too hard!

Hey that actually helps a lot! I already have a decent idea of how I'm going to write my PS and it involves a very similar angle as what you're suggesting, which is a big relief. Thanks a lot for the response, it's super nice to see someone in a similar position that got into a school like Osgoode. Congratulations on your acceptance! 

6 minutes ago, Hydarnes said:

Hey that actually helps a lot! I already have a decent idea of how I'm going to write my PS and it involves a very similar angle as what you're suggesting, which is a big relief. Thanks a lot for the response, it's super nice to see someone in a similar position that got into a school like Osgoode. Congratulations on your acceptance! 

No problem! It occurs to me as well that while my middling grades were pretty evenly distributed across my time in school, the fact that yours are concentrated to such a short period means that you are probably even better off! Feel free to DM if you have any other questions or want any advise vis a vis the PS. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoblawLawBlog said:

No problem! It occurs to me as well that while my middling grades were pretty evenly distributed across my time in school, the fact that yours are concentrated to such a short period means that you are probably even better off! Feel free to DM if you have any other questions or want any advise vis a vis the PS. 

I'll likely take you up on this in a few months time, thanks a bunch!

• Like 1