Trawangan

Timetable/course scheduling fall 2019

Posted (edited)

Hi there, 

How much course scheduling flexibility is there in the first year? 

Are many of the mandatory first year classes also available in the summer semester? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Trawangan

1) none

2) none of them are. You would have to retake the following year if you don't pass (extremely rare) or are allowed to take a lighter load in 1L (faculty has allowed this on multiple occasions I've observed).

so, if I understand correctly - zero flexibility outside of picking french or english and if english, you get thrown with one of two profs, not your choice. But, when you do pick between english/french do you get to see which english prof you would end up with?

13 minutes ago, Megbean123 said:

so, if I understand correctly - zero flexibility outside of picking french or english and if english, you get thrown with one of two profs, not your choice. But, when you do pick between english/french do you get to see which english prof you would end up with?

You'll know which profs you can choose between. But you only get one French section and one English.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

1) none

I understand all the 1L's take the same 6 courses, but are all 180 students taking the classes simultaneously, meaning is there no flexibility in terms of when the classes are. (ie. french section and english section occur at the same time) ? 

It was my understanding from welcome day that there are 2 english sections, but perhaps I misunderstood. 

1 minute ago, franc said:

I understand all the 1L's take the same 6 courses, but are all 180 students taking the classes simultaneously, meaning is there no flexibility in terms of when the classes are. (ie. french section and english section occur at the same time) ? 

It was my understanding from welcome day that there are 2 english sections, but perhaps I misunderstood. 

There are three sections for each class except integration workshop, for which there are more (small classes which meet semi-regularly).

The sections in my year all met at the same time, in different rooms. However this isn't always the case. But it'll almost definitely be on the same day.

Basically, don't expect your schedule in terms of timing to differ much, if at all, from your class mates.

This is actually helpful, since you can plan to study together/your outings more easily/conveniently. 

• Like 1