SeaRay

2.5 weeks before articling -- what to do?

I will have 2.5 weeks of free time after 3L exams and before starting my articles in the Vancouver-area. I don't think that is enough time to do any substantial travelling, and I have no idea what to do to fill that gap. This will be the first time I have this much free time in a while. 

Any suggestions? 

2.5 weeks isn't long enough for travel? Where do you normally go for vacation? Worst case, go to a beach somewhere and celebrate being done.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

2.5 weeks isn't long enough for travel? Where do you normally go for vacation? Worst case, go to a beach somewhere and celebrate being done.

My typical vacation: I have family all around Asia so my typical trip would involve a few destinations there for ~1month, since flights are pretty reasonable for inter-asia travel. 

Edit: going to a beach sounds like a great idea, celebrating and getting a nice tan before articling. 

Edited by SeaRay

3 minutes ago, SeaRay said:

My typical vacation: I have family all around Asia so my typical trip would involve a few destinations there for ~1month, since flights are pretty reasonable for inter-asia travel. 

Well, then, why not take an atypical vacation, not to Asia, not visiting family?

Instead of seeing family do the touristy thing someplace else? Longer would be ideal, but I've fit in European vacations through multiple countries within 2.5 weeks, closer a specific city like NYC (or assuming you're on the west coast, some California tourism?) within a week seeing and doing tons of stuff.

Ok, I wanted to not be sassy, but I think I have to be, because your question is ridiculous in its core. It goes to what you define as a vacation. I consider a half day excursion out of town to a spa a vacation. You can go on weekend vacations. You can fly somewhere for a few hours and stay for even a few days to make it worth it as a vacation. There are a huge number of things you can do which don't revolve around some of the longest flights in the world. Get creative.

• Like 4

I don't know if OP is simply trolling or genuinely can't figure out how to unwind for 2.5 weeks, but trust me, it's best to simply relax. If you don't, I can all but guarantee you'll wish for those 2.5 weeks back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Ok, I wanted to not be sassy, but I think I have to be, because your question is ridiculous in its core. It goes to what you define as a vacation. I consider a half day excursion out of town to a spa a vacation. You can go on weekend vacations. You can fly somewhere for a few hours and stay for even a few days to make it worth it as a vacation. There are a huge number of things you can do which don't revolve around some of the longest flights in the world. Get creative.

Maybe I should clarify, I didn't mean to imply that it's impossible to travel in 2.5 weeks. I don't travel much outside of my trips to Asia visiting family, so my experience travelling outside of that context is limited. I was hoping to get suggestions about what I can do and what others have done in a 2-week period. 

Sass is fine, I've come to accept that it's inevitable on online forums for people to misunderstand the question. 

2 minutes ago, spicyfoodftw said:

I don't know if OP is simply trolling or genuinely can't figure out how to unwind for 2.5 weeks, but trust me, it's best to simply relax. If you don't, I can all but guarantee you'll wish for those 2.5 weeks back.

100% the latter. I honestly don't even think I know how to unwind anymore. 

Start by getting off of LS.ca; get outside if you can; grab a beer with some friends. I guess my overall advice would just be to get away from law for the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

That's lots of time to travel.  Go to Mexico City for a week and then to the beach.  Go to Machu Picchu.  Go to Ireland and drink a bunch of beer.  Go to Italy and spend 3 days on the Amalfi Coast/1 day in Naples/7 days in Rome/2 days in Cinque Terre/3 days in Florence/etc.  Go to London for a week and spent another week in the surrounding area.  Go to Greece and Turkey.  Go to Barcelona for a week then see Granada and Seville, and end in Spain.  Take one of those cheap flights to Iceland and do a stopover somewhere else in Europe.  Go to the Netherlands for a week and Belgium for a week.  Go to Poland and the Czech Republic.  Prague is one of my favourite European cities.  Germany has tons that you could see in 2.5 weeks.  Maybe 4 days in Berlin, a day in Dresden, two days in Nuremberg, a day in nearby Rothenberg or Wurzburg, 4 days in Munich and then down to Vienna.  Colombia is also great.  A few days in each of Bogota, Cartagena, and Medellin.  You could also spend several days in Paris and then travel around France.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pzabbythesecond said:

It goes to what you define as a vacation.

You will be an excellent lawyer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, realpseudonym said:

You will be an excellent lawyer. 

I've been having a really awful time with the faculty administration, who's been making it seem like I'm bound to fail at it and feeling very down, so this means more than you know (even if you said it in a joking manner). Thank you.

If you're not good at planning, you can always go on an organized trip. Contiki has multiple organized trips around the globe that you can fit in 2.5 weeks or less.

1 hour ago, ProfReader said:

That's lots of time to travel.  Go to Mexico City for a week and then to the beach.  Go to Machu Picchu.  Go to Ireland and drink a bunch of beer.  Go to Italy and spend 3 days on the Amalfi Coast/1 day in Naples/7 days in Rome/2 days in Cinque Terre/3 days in Florence/etc.  Go to London for a week and spent another week in the surrounding area.  Go to Greece and Turkey.  Go to Barcelona for a week then see Granada and Seville, and end in Spain.  Take one of those cheap flights to Iceland and do a stopover somewhere else in Europe.  Go to the Netherlands for a week and Belgium for a week.  Go to Poland and the Czech Republic.  Prague is one of my favourite European cities.  Germany has tons that you could see in 2.5 weeks.  Maybe 4 days in Berlin, a day in Dresden, two days in Nuremberg, a day in nearby Rothenberg or Wurzburg, 4 days in Munich and then down to Vienna.  Colombia is also great.  A few days in each of Bogota, Cartagena, and Medellin.  You could also spend several days in Paris and then travel around France.

Oh, you are making me drool. I can’t wait to do all of these and more!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ProfReader said:

I would spend more time in the South, but otherwise, this advice is OK. 

OP: do you have lots of money? If so, do the above. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff

25 minutes ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

I would spend more time in the South, but otherwise, this advice is OK. 

OP: do you have lots of money? If so, do the above. 

The exact itinerary wasn't really the point.  The point was that you can do lots in 2.5 weeks.  That being said, I didn't love the South as much as other places and wouldn't spend more time there than a few days. 

Explore Canada! Go hiking in the interior. Go to the Rockies. Spend some time disconnected. Make it a point to see family and friends that you might not have too much time to see while articling. Plan some ways for self-care during articling, meal prep planning and the like.

Or, you know, day drink. 

• Like 8

14 hours ago, artsydork said:

Explore Canada! Go hiking in the interior. Go to the Rockies. Spend some time disconnected. Make it a point to see family and friends that you might not have too much time to see while articling. Plan some ways for self-care during articling, meal prep planning and the like.

Or, you know, day drink. 

I highly recommend Banff.

It may be an individual thing, but I’m not sure I’d go on a long trip for the entire 2.5 weeks before articles. I find that I am very tired when I get back from a long trip - the flight or drive wears me out, and if time zones are an issue, jet lag can be brutal. I usually need a few days to recover, which is an issue if I have to work at the same time. You really want to be fresh when you start articles. And you want to get organized at home with all your chores and appointments/errands done for the next week or two and so on. So if you’re like me, I’d probably take a 7-10 day trip so I could then have a few days to rest and relax at home and a couple of days to prep for the days ahead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, providence said:

I highly recommend Banff.

It may be an individual thing, but I’m not sure I’d go on a long trip for the entire 2.5 weeks before articles. I find that I am very tired when I get back from a long trip - the flight or drive wears me out, and if time zones are an issue, jet lag can be brutal. I usually need a few days to recover, which is an issue if I have to work at the same time. You really want to be fresh when you start articles. And you want to get organized at home with all your chores and appointments/errands done for the next week or two and so on. So if you’re like me, I’d probably take a 7-10 day trip so I could then have a few days to rest and relax at home and a couple of days to prep for the days ahead. 

I can't wait until I'm done school 😛