pzabbythesecond

Ryerson Law open for applications this fall

With the exception of constitutional law, all first year courses are one semester in length at Osgoode. You end up with generally the same curriculum but it’s heavily compressed, which makes it quite challenging. But it can be (and is, case in point) done. That said, Osgoode has been this way for decades and as a result has it down to a science. Not saying Ryerson can’t do the same but my optimism is at an all-time low here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, leafs_law said:

Ok, Ryerson location is way better than Oz even if we only take say like 200 meters from each campus. Yes, there’s nothing east of Ryerson, but, Bay/Yonge and Dundas/College/Queen are way better than... welp, I don’t even know what landmarks to mention around York campus... plus ryerson has some cool landmarks by it like YD Square, Nathan Philips/City Hall, Eaton Centre, Court of Appeal, etc.

But yes, also being on downtown subway line and proximity to even cooler neighbourhoods is also key. 

I went to Ryerson for undergrad. 

Dundas square is a worse times square. Ask any new Yorker if they spend any time in times square.

Bay is good but Ryerson campus doesn't really extend to it. The closest is the business building but most of that population spends its time around campus - which is yonge to church/Jarvis mostly.

The village is a cool neighborhood around Ryerson. I had some great times living around there. But again, that's not really Ryerson campus.

My point is generally, as a law student at either school, you'll be spending most of your time in an uninspiring area, as opposed to cooler neighborhood schools like u of t, McGill, etc. You also won't have the same campus feel at either school that you do in university towns.

But Ryerson will probably attract people based on its branding as an urban school "built into the fabric of Toronto". It's business school made large strides partly because of this type of attraction.

It will probably be competitive from the get-go. There are enough applicants clamoring to go to law school in the GTA. We need a law school at like Lethbridge or Memorial in Newfoundland. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yabbie said:

It will probably be competitive from the get-go. There are enough applicants clamoring to go to law school in the GTA. We need a law school at like Lethbridge or Memorial in Newfoundland. 

Agreed. It's a shame Newfoundland doesn't have one. I have friends from there and they're shocked Ryerson is getting one before they are.

I feel like if your only reason for picking Ryerson over Osgoode is proximity to downtown, that’s an idiotic decision. 

If you have other reasons, then fine. But as the only reason? Please. 

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ryn said:

I feel like if your only reason for picking Ryerson over Osgoode is proximity to downtown, that’s an idiotic decision. 

Agreed. And I don't think enough people will do that to hurt osgoode by any means (early on anyway).

Ryerson will quickly become somewhat competitive, and similar to queens/western within a decade or so because it will take strong candidates who couldn't get into a Toronto school and don't want to leave home.

Or want to save 10-20 grand a year in tuition.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Or want to save 10-20 grand a year in tuition.

But I thought now that they don’t have funding the fees are pretty high comparatively?

2 minutes ago, Ryn said:

But I thought now that they don’t have funding the fees are pretty high comparatively?

Not since Ford cut the grants back down to minimal. 

Ryerson students will have to deal with losing out on a couple thousand a year and the frozen interest of osap. But that's still savings.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, leafs_law said:

ryerson has some cool landmarks by it like YD Square, Nathan Philips/City Hall, Eaton Centre

You and I have vastly different definitions of "cool landmarks" 😛 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, leafs_law said:

Ok, Ryerson location is way better than Oz even if we only take say like 200 meters from each campus. Yes, there’s nothing east of Ryerson, but, Bay/Yonge and Dundas/College/Queen are way better than... welp, I don’t even know what landmarks to mention around York campus... plus ryerson has some cool landmarks by it like YD Square, Nathan Philips/City Hall, Eaton Centre, Court of Appeal, etc.

But yes, also being on downtown subway line and proximity to even cooler neighbourhoods is also key. 

Ryerson is also more accessible to commuters from the Toronto boroughs. York is much more car-friendly, but I hear atrocious things about the availability and pricing of parking. That being said, I am just an applicant and would more than happily receive acceptances from either 😂😂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ryn said:

Perhaps the location also translates into financial reasons? If one were to live at home in the eastern Toronto boroughs to save money the commute to downtown Ryerson is much easier and more ideal than the commute to York but this is just speculation. 

23 minutes ago, Hopefullawapplicant said:

Perhaps the location also translates into financial reasons? If one were to live at home in the eastern Toronto boroughs to save money the commute to downtown Ryerson is much easier and more ideal than the commute to York but this is just speculation. 

Not sure I buy that reason. York is now on a major subway line, granted sure it's "less convenient" to get too than Ryerson would be from Scarborough, but then clearly you hold location as being significantly more important than other -- I would argue -- more weighty factors.

33 minutes ago, Hopefullawapplicant said:

Ryerson is also more accessible to commuters from the Toronto boroughs. York is much more car-friendly, but I hear atrocious things about the availability and pricing of parking. That being said, I am just an applicant and would more than happily receive acceptances from either 😂😂

I have no doubt that Ryerson knows this and is counting on applicants like you, who are desperate for admission to a Canadian law school.

But I also am not entirely sure that, given the choice between Ryerson and either of U of T or Osgoode, a high-achieving student would choose Ryerson. Maybe they would, what do I know, but something tells me that's not who their target audience is.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ryn said:

But I also am not entirely sure that, given the choice between Ryerson and either of U of T or Osgoode, a high-achieving student would choose Ryerson. Maybe they would, what do I know, but something tells me that's not who their target audience is.

I have no idea whether the Toronto location will be sufficient to lure a stronger applicant pool. But I suspect that the end result will be that more people who would've gone the foreign route or done something else will end up in Ontario law schools. Which is great for them while they're in law school. It's less great for people looking to article in southern Ontario in 2023 - 2024. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

I have no idea whether the Toronto location will be sufficient to lure a stronger applicant pool. But I suspect that the end result will be that more people who would've gone the foreign route or done something else will end up in Ontario law schools. Which is great for them while they're in law school. It's less great for people looking to article in southern Ontario in 2023 - 2024. 

Exactly. I don’t think there will be any shortage of demand. I wouldn’t be surprised if it draws heavily from the Queens/Western admitted students pool rather than those going the foreign route. Whether the TO articling market can bear the increased supply of grads is an entirely different conversation.

I don’t think students are opting for Ryerson over U of T or Oz, but I think it’s possible it will draw from Western and Queens. 

I think it will almost certainly draw students away from Windsor and Lakehead. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don’t think students are opting for Ryerson over U of T or Oz, but I think it’s possible it will draw from Western and Queens. 

How many applicants from southern Ontario does lakehead admit? 

But good call on Windsor. Especially the dual program. That will be its first competition for applicants, followed by (eventually) queens and western. But that will take a good deal of time I think.

11 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I agree with you in part, but I don't necessarily know about Lakehead. First, their class size isn't that big. Second, while they do admit students from outside of Northern Ontario, my understanding is you need to make your case for why you're picking LU.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Ryn said:

Not sure I buy that reason. York is now on a major subway line, granted sure it's "less convenient" to get too than Ryerson would be from Scarborough, but then clearly you hold location as being significantly more important than other -- I would argue -- more weighty factors.

I have no doubt that Ryerson knows this and is counting on applicants like you, who are desperate for admission to a Canadian law school.

I was speculating reasons for why someone would pick Ryerson over Osgoode, not talking about myself. I personally don’t hold location  as being a huge factor on its own in my personal decision. 

As for counting on applicants who are desperate for admission to a Canadian law school, I would say that characterizes almost every applicant who is applying to law school, they’re desperate for admission until they have a couple of choices to pick from? After all, after paying a hefty amount as application fees, you do want some return. 

For your last reply, I would agree that Ryerson’s target audience is not the same as UofT or Osgoode and given the choice between the three, most rational applications would pick one of the two more established schools. 

Edited by Hopefullawapplicant
Autocorrect

3 minutes ago, Hopefullawapplicant said:

As for counting on applicats who are desperate for admission to a Canadian law school, I would say that characterizes almost every applicant who is applying to law school, they’re desperate for admission until they have a couple of choices to pick from?

I was fairly certain I would have choices when I applied. I was desperate to get into my first choice school.

I know many people similar to myself. It really depends on the applicant.

• Like 4