Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone, 

With course selection coming up in the next few months, I am interested in hearing what some of your favourite classes have been at Osgoode. I'm going corporate, but am genuinely interested in which courses you all enjoyed, or looking back, wish you had taken while still in law school! 

 

Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I suggest throwing this at the Class of 2020 instead? You'll get a lot more answers, to be honest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would strongly recommend evidence, it was very interesting and i also think it's useful. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I'd taken Statutory Interpretation. 

I've heard good things about the test case course(s).

Trial Advocacy is fun and the final was a sort of mini-trial, as opposed to a paper or written exam. But if you're set on corporate, odds are you won't be in a position to assign it the priority you'd need to to get into the course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

Is commercial law an interesting course?

No, but it’s a prerequisite for related interesting courses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, ohreally said:

No, but it’s a prerequisite for related interesting courses. 

When Kraag/Zverina taught this course, it was very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could anyone speak to courses that would be interesting/useful courses for those interested in criminal and public interest law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vanhopeful95 said:

Could anyone speak to courses that would be interesting/useful courses for those interested in criminal and public interest law

Triad Ad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Take business associations with Forbes. Hands down the best course I’ve taken at Osgoode. Extremely foundational and has helped me a LOT with my job this summer. I feel like I’m miles ahead of everyone else who took bus as with other profs...he is so succinct and clear, almost surgical honestly. Tells you everything you need to know with crystal clarity, while still leaving time at the end to discuss more advanced stuff like m&a and takeover bids. And still finished a week early!! what an OG.

 

if you want his course though make sure you put your priority for it as “A” during course selection otherwise there’s pretty much no chance you’ll get in 

Edited by thereleasestg
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

Is commercial law an interesting course?

No, I cannot emphasize enough how much I regretted taking this course. I took the course with Geva, and he is a good professor, but based on the name of the course i thought it was a course that was about .. commercial law. The course really should have been called "The Personal Property Security Act", because literally all we did in the class was go through the PPSA line by line, with case law annotations. Needless to say, thats not what I signed up for and the PPSA isn't exactly the most exciting statute. 

Edited by shawniebear
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shawniebear said:

No, I cannot emphasize enough how much I regretted taking this course. I took the course with Geva, and he is a good professor, but based on the name of the course i thought it was a course that was about .. commercial law. The course really should have been called "The Personal Property Security Act", because literally all we did in the class was go through the PPSA line by line, with case law annotations. Needless to say, thats not what I signed up for and the PPSA isn't exactly the most exciting statute. 

Given the title of the course that is indeed a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, baklava said:

I wish I'd taken Statutory Interpretation. 

I've heard good things about the test case course(s).

Trial Advocacy is fun and the final was a sort of mini-trial, as opposed to a paper or written exam. But if you're set on corporate, odds are you won't be in a position to assign it the priority you'd need to to get into the course.

 

What does one even learn in a Statutory Interpretation course? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pythia said:

What does one even learn in a Statutory Interpretation course? 

My guess is that it's Driedger on steroids.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, thereleasestg said:

Take business associations with Forbes. Hands down the best course I’ve taken at Osgoode. Extremely foundational and has helped me a LOT with my job this summer. I feel like I’m miles ahead of everyone else who took bus as with other profs...he is so succinct and clear, almost surgical honestly. Tells you everything you need to know with crystal clarity, while still leaving time at the end to discuss more advanced stuff like m&a and takeover bids. And still finished a week early!! what an OG.

 

if you want his course though make sure you put your priority for it as “A” during course selection otherwise there’s pretty much no chance you’ll get in 

don't have experience with that prof (i took it with williams, which was not great but fine lol) but i would definitely strongly recommend business associations in general. it used to be required but isn't anymore, but i think it's pretty foundational and the concepts definitely show up on the bar and i think generally in lots of areas of practice. and like i said before: evidence (i took it with davies/goddard who were great).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please take bus ass. Even if you have no desire to practice corporate law. It really is a foundational course 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • If you do end up deciding to enter the next cycle, try sitting down and writing without filtering yourself. Just write about why you want to study law, try to answer any suggested guidelines that the school has provided, then edit it into something you would want to submit. There is really no formula to this, or else everyone could simply write exactly what each school wants to hear. I didn't tailor my personal statement to any particular school and it was fine. Others may have tailored theirs specifically to each school and I'm sure it would still be fine. Precisely because there is no formula, just different individuals expressing their thoughts in different ways. 
    • I don't think Chelsea Hotel is a usual testing centre, as it wasn't listed in the list of testing centres. This is my 3rd write and it's the first time I'm seeing it offered. 
    • Thank you so much! Ah, I hope my professors don't mind reading all of mine. Good thing they can just submit the same letter!  That's a good point! I will give them a heads up a few weeks in advance then. I hope you ended up at your preferred school :). 
    • Do you want to work in TO for a few years before going back, or do you want to go back ASAP?  
    • Your personal statement is a two-fold test, meant to confirm that you can use the English language in a way that isn't embarrassing, and that you can discuss a relatively straight-forward topic without becoming ridiculous. You don't need to be Oliver Twist, in either style or substance. If you try, you'll almost certainly achieve a negative result. There may be the odd applicant to law school who really did escape war-torn Syria in the trunk of a car, or who has the narrative style to pull off some exceptional piece of writing. Everyone else is just a reasonably accomplished undergrad who wants to study law. And that's all you need to be. Seriously. Stop over-thinking this. Just tell them why you want to go to law school.
×
×
  • Create New...