Hey Everyone, 

With course selection coming up in the next few months, I am interested in hearing what some of your favourite classes have been at Osgoode. I'm going corporate, but am genuinely interested in which courses you all enjoyed, or looking back, wish you had taken while still in law school! 

Thanks!

Could I suggest throwing this at the Class of 2020 instead? You'll get a lot more answers, to be honest 

would strongly recommend evidence, it was very interesting and i also think it's useful. 

• Like 2

I wish I'd taken Statutory Interpretation. 

I've heard good things about the test case course(s).

Trial Advocacy is fun and the final was a sort of mini-trial, as opposed to a paper or written exam. But if you're set on corporate, odds are you won't be in a position to assign it the priority you'd need to to get into the course.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

Is commercial law an interesting course?

No, but it’s a prerequisite for related interesting courses. 

On 4/23/2019 at 11:04 PM, ohreally said:

No, but it’s a prerequisite for related interesting courses. 

When Kraag/Zverina taught this course, it was very interesting.

Could anyone speak to courses that would be interesting/useful courses for those interested in criminal and public interest law

8 hours ago, vanhopeful95 said:

Could anyone speak to courses that would be interesting/useful courses for those interested in criminal and public interest law

Triad Ad

Posted (edited)

Take business associations with Forbes. Hands down the best course I’ve taken at Osgoode. Extremely foundational and has helped me a LOT with my job this summer. I feel like I’m miles ahead of everyone else who took bus as with other profs...he is so succinct and clear, almost surgical honestly. Tells you everything you need to know with crystal clarity, while still leaving time at the end to discuss more advanced stuff like m&a and takeover bids. And still finished a week early!! what an OG.

if you want his course though make sure you put your priority for it as “A” during course selection otherwise there’s pretty much no chance you’ll get in 

Edited by thereleasestg
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

Is commercial law an interesting course?

No, I cannot emphasize enough how much I regretted taking this course. I took the course with Geva, and he is a good professor, but based on the name of the course i thought it was a course that was about .. commercial law. The course really should have been called "The Personal Property Security Act", because literally all we did in the class was go through the PPSA line by line, with case law annotations. Needless to say, thats not what I signed up for and the PPSA isn't exactly the most exciting statute. 

Edited by shawniebear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shawniebear said:

No, I cannot emphasize enough how much I regretted taking this course. I took the course with Geva, and he is a good professor, but based on the name of the course i thought it was a course that was about .. commercial law. The course really should have been called "The Personal Property Security Act", because literally all we did in the class was go through the PPSA line by line, with case law annotations. Needless to say, thats not what I signed up for and the PPSA isn't exactly the most exciting statute. 

Given the title of the course that is indeed a surprise.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, baklava said:

I wish I'd taken Statutory Interpretation. 

I've heard good things about the test case course(s).

Trial Advocacy is fun and the final was a sort of mini-trial, as opposed to a paper or written exam. But if you're set on corporate, odds are you won't be in a position to assign it the priority you'd need to to get into the course.

What does one even learn in a Statutory Interpretation course? 

1 hour ago, Pythia said:

What does one even learn in a Statutory Interpretation course? 

My guess is that it's Driedger on steroids.

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, thereleasestg said:

Take business associations with Forbes. Hands down the best course I’ve taken at Osgoode. Extremely foundational and has helped me a LOT with my job this summer. I feel like I’m miles ahead of everyone else who took bus as with other profs...he is so succinct and clear, almost surgical honestly. Tells you everything you need to know with crystal clarity, while still leaving time at the end to discuss more advanced stuff like m&a and takeover bids. And still finished a week early!! what an OG.

if you want his course though make sure you put your priority for it as “A” during course selection otherwise there’s pretty much no chance you’ll get in 

don't have experience with that prof (i took it with williams, which was not great but fine lol) but i would definitely strongly recommend business associations in general. it used to be required but isn't anymore, but i think it's pretty foundational and the concepts definitely show up on the bar and i think generally in lots of areas of practice. and like i said before: evidence (i took it with davies/goddard who were great).

• Like 1

Yes please take bus ass. Even if you have no desire to practice corporate law. It really is a foundational course