Lawstudent97

Good or bad idea to call Osgoode about admissions decisions

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any experience calling Osgoode about admissions decisions? I have been in queue since November and have stats above the medians in both CGPA and LSAT. A significant amount of students have been admitted with lower CGPA and LSAT scores than me, so I wanted to check in with them and hopefully get some insight into why they haven't made a decision on my file yet. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to negatively influence their decision by bugging them, just want to make sure there was nothing wrong with my application and get some insight. If anyone has any experience or information here, it would be greatly appreciated. I know UofT specifically says not to contact them, but I haven't seen anything like that from Osgoode. 

-My question goes for Western too as I have yet to hear back from them. I just don't want to spam my question in two different forums. 

Edited by Lawstudent97

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Does anyone have any experience calling Osgoode about admissions decisions? I have been in queue since November and have stats above the medians in both CGPA and LSAT. A significant amount of students have been admitted with lower CGPA and LSAT scores than me, so I wanted to check in with them and hopefully get some insight into why they haven't made a decision on my file yet. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to negatively influence their decision by bugging them, just want to make sure there was nothing wrong with my application and get some insight. If anyone has any experience or information here, it would be greatly appreciated. I know UofT specifically says not to contact them, but I haven't seen anything like that from Osgoode. 

-My question goes for Western too as I have yet to hear back from them. I just don't want to spam my question in two different forums. 

Short version: Call them.

Long version: I called them more than 5-6 times, and went there three times(I had to follow up a document, but still). I sent them emails asking about my case, and usually the response would be that it's a long process and you need to be patient. In my last email to Alissa Cooper, I asked her about an update and she told me that a decision has been made on my application and about 5 days after I got my admission. By the way, you won't be bugging the admission committee because you don't call them, you call admission office, and its staff are not in admission committee but they have access to your file.

Edited by krnprykt

You can call and ask (and it won’t affect your application) but you likely will not get any feedback. Osgoode does not really comment on applications in progress. If you don’t get admitted, you can call starting in late August and inquire about what insight they can give you about your file. Other than that, I don’t think you will get any useful information from speaking to them, other than perhaps “your file is being reviewed”.

I suppose if your file is incomplete then they’d tell you that, so from that perspective the conversation could be useful, but I assume this is not the problem if you’ve properly provided your statements, grades, and LSAT to the schools. 

10 hours ago, krnprykt said:

By the way, you won't be bugging the admission committee because you don't call them, you call admission office, and its staff are not in admission committee but they have access to your file.

I should note that admissions officers do make decisions on files in addition to the adcom. Not everyone answering your call is an admissions officer, but don’t assume the person you are speaking with isn’t a decision-maker when you call. But just be respectful like you would with anyone and it shouldn’t matter. 

• Like 4