Qwaser29

McGill Interview

Hello :)

I'm currently attending cégep and I applied to McGill law school a month ago. I was really thrilled to receive a call for an interview yesterday. The lady over the phone told me the interview would be about my CV and personal statement and teachers will ask me some questions about the news to test my general knowledge.

Still, do you guys have any tips for the interview? 

Good luck to all applicants !

Congrats, I'm also a cegep applicant 

Can I ask about your stats, ecs and personal statement?  

Did they tell if you should have legal knowledge? 

Hi,

My R score is 34.9. Except being part of a book club and the school Amnistie International club, I don't have other extra-curriculars. No job either. I assume that my personal statement was what convince the applicant office to call me for an interview. I focused on my interest to practise law and my perseverance at school. My references should also be good.

As for legal knowledge, I doubt they would ask because we are only cegep applicants and we don't usually have contact with law otherwise. However, let's assume that they want to test our critical thinking and see if we are able to take position on a subject on the news. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 11:44 PM, Cyruszzz said:

Congrats, I'm also a cegep applicant 

Can I ask about your stats, ecs and personal statement?  

Did they tell if you should have legal knowledge? 

What about your stats and ecs? Which CÉGEP?

From my brief encounter w CEGEP students following admission to McGill, here's my template for how to approach your interview:

Tell us about your CV experience. Model answer: Communicate your experience with detail and confidence. E.g. I went to Model UN, I was a satisfying experience because... XYZ.

Here's what makes differentiates a good student from a great student: Add in 1 sentence at the end noting the limitations of that experience. Going off the Model UN experience, you could say--  "I enjoyed the process greatly but I am wary of biases existing in the students who participate in it. We're all from Canadian colleges, written submissions and point-first writing are key to getting one's points across. I wonder if this is truly reflective of international politics and discourse. Do you think it may limit voices from XYZ?" (Ask the interviewers, they're profs too!)... You may be able to supplement w an example...' I think a lot about my grandma, who isn't from here, she speaks more circularly, building familiarity with her conversation partner before making substantive claims. Will she have less of a voice?'

Then do something about it these concerns: I read a paper in XYZ and it gave a new theory; perhaps it could be implemented. I think it would be a great skill to think about when the McGill Journals take online submissions from non-North American authors. 

Key message being sent: Though I don't know the answers, I'm really cognizant of certain issues and I want to follow up. I'm curious. I'm hungry. I'll bring this same enthusiasm to McGill. 

Disclaimer: This advice could be equally useless as it is useful.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TimHortons2 said:

From my brief encounter w CEGEP students following admission to McGill, here's my template for how to approach your interview:

Tell us about your CV experience. Model answer: Communicate your experience with detail and confidence. E.g. I went to Model UN, I was a satisfying experience because... XYZ.

Here's what makes differentiates a good student from a great student: Add in 1 sentence at the end noting the limitations of that experience. Going off the Model UN experience, you could say--  "I enjoyed the process greatly but I am wary of biases existing in the students who participate in it. We're all from Canadian colleges, written submissions and point-first writing are key to getting one's points across. I wonder if this is truly reflective of international politics and discourse. Do you think it may limit voices from XYZ?" (Ask the interviewers, they're profs too!)... You may be able to supplement w an example...' I think a lot about my grandma, who isn't from here, she speaks more circularly, building familiarity with her conversation partner before making substantive claims. Will she have less of a voice?'

Then do something about it these concerns: I read a paper in XYZ and it gave a new theory; perhaps it could be implemented. I think it would be a great skill to think about when the McGill Journals take online submissions from non-North American authors. 

Key message being sent: Though I don't know the answers, I'm really cognizant of certain issues and I want to follow up. I'm curious. I'm hungry. I'll bring this same enthusiasm to McGill. 

Disclaimer: This advice could be equally useless as it is useful.

This seems like great advice. How I approached my letter. 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, Qwaser29 said:

Hello :)

I'm currently attending cégep and I applied to McGill law school a month ago. I was really thrilled to receive a call for an interview yesterday. The lady over the phone told me the interview would be about my CV and personal statement and teachers will ask me some questions about the news to test my general knowledge.

Still, do you guys have any tips for the interview? 

Good luck to all applicants !

Hello, 

Huge congrats on getting in!! I was just wondering if they emailed you the acceptance and changed your status on minerva before calling you. I haven't received any news yet and I don't know what that means. 

30 minutes ago, montrealer2019 said:

Hi!

I'm a Cegep applicant received a call about two weeks ago for an interview!

Did any of you do the interview or not yet?

Can I ask your stats? ( côté R,  ps, extracurriculars

14 hours ago, letsgetin2019 said:

Hello, 

Huge congrats on getting in!! I was just wondering if they emailed you the acceptance and changed your status on minerva before calling you. I haven't received any news yet and I don't know what that means. 

I'm in the exact position as you. I'm still ready for review and I have still noy received any calls. 

My stats: r score 34.8

Great ECS 

OK ps 

Great LofRs 

Edited by Cyruszzz

20 hours ago, Cyruszzz said:

Can I ask your stats? ( côté R,  ps, extracurriculars

Hey!

Did you do your interview yet?

Edited by montrealer2019

55 minutes ago, montrealer2019 said:

Hey!

Did you do your interview yet?

Not yet. I am still ready for review

Hello !! 

First, letsgetin2019, I received a call two weeks ago. Even after passing the interview, my statue is still ''ready for review''. I receive a confirmation e-mail for the date and time for my interview, but no e-mail of acceptance (cuz you need to be accepted to receive it). 
Also, the next round of the interview is at the end of April. So don't lose faith if you did not yet receive any news ! It means "there may be still hope". According to the holistic approach of McGill, if your personal statement is strong, your CV is good and your two references are good too, it should be allright :) 

And for montrealer2019 and Cyruszzz, the interview isn't so bad. it was somehow fun (and stressing, indeed) to discuss with the admission committee. But they try to make you feel comfortable, they give you cookies and water :D 
Except basic questions like ''Why Law", "Why not an undergraduate first" and "What do you fear about your study in Law school", there were more specific questions about my CV and personal statement. It is hard to tell which type of questions they will ask you if you get into an interview because those questions are very personal. Only you may know the answer. So just be mentally prepared to have a coherent answer and mostly, be yourself. It is stressing but I think they mostly want to get to know you more. Ah, and talk about what you expect from your studies! It's 20-25min long, it's very short.

But I was only called for an interview, so maybe those aren't good advices, you may want to ask from someone who got in. Good luck again ! 

7 hours ago, Qwaser29 said:

Hello !! 

First, letsgetin2019, I received a call two weeks ago. Even after passing the interview, my statue is still ''ready for review''. I receive a confirmation e-mail for the date and time for my interview, but no e-mail of acceptance (cuz you need to be accepted to receive it). 
Also, the next round of the interview is at the end of April. So don't lose faith if you did not yet receive any news ! It means "there may be still hope". According to the holistic approach of McGill, if your personal statement is strong, your CV is good and your two references are good too, it should be allright :) 

And for montrealer2019 and Cyruszzz, the interview isn't so bad. it was somehow fun (and stressing, indeed) to discuss with the admission committee. But they try to make you feel comfortable, they give you cookies and water :D 
Except basic questions like ''Why Law", "Why not an undergraduate first" and "What do you fear about your study in Law school", there were more specific questions about my CV and personal statement. It is hard to tell which type of questions they will ask you if you get into an interview because those questions are very personal. Only you may know the answer. So just be mentally prepared to have a coherent answer and mostly, be yourself. It is stressing but I think they mostly want to get to know you more. Ah, and talk about what you expect from your studies! It's 20-25min long, it's very short.

But I was only called for an interview, so maybe those aren't good advices, you may want to ask from someone who got in. Good luck again ! 

Thanks for your reply, hope you will be accepted 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Qwaser29 said:

Hello !! 

Having seen people interview for courses aux stages at the firm I'm currently working at, it sounds like you took the right approach! Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Qwaser29 said:

Hello !! 

Thank you.

Just can I ask you how you know that the next round of interviews is late April? 

16 hours ago, Qwaser29 said:

Hello !! 

Thank you a LOT for sharing and good luck to you!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Qwaser29 said:

Hello !! 

Thank you for replying!! I have been checking minerva everyday but I guess I should just wait for the email regarding the interview. I hope that you get in but it sounds like you did a great job! 

Also, if you know that following round of interviews is in April then when would they be sending out the next round of interview info? Also, do you know if people receive refusals as people are getting calls for interviews (because I haven't received a refusal yet, so maybe there is still hope)?  

• Like 1

Hi again,

To Cyruszzz and letsgetin2019, I have a friend who did not get a call for an interview and so, I asked the committee after my interview to see if he should still be hoping or not. And they told me there's two rounds, the next one is in late April. When exactly? Maybe 20 something?

As for the refusals, admissions and waitlist, I don't know how the Faculty of Law is handling them. I know no one around me except my friend who applied at McGill either so can't help with that, sorry 😕 His statue is still "Ready for review". 

Have a great day!