thesamasaurus

Provisional acceptance questions

Posted (edited)

Hey folks, i had a few questions about provisional acceptances.  (the schools i'm listing as examples are not based on my actual situation and don't reflect any sort of opinion about the schools)

By putting a school down as a provisional acceptance, does that mean if i get a firm offer from the school i am waiting on, is my offer to the previous school which i was provisionally accepted too is immediately declined?  For example, lets say i provisionally accept Ottawa, and put down Western as a school I am waiting on.  If Western sends me an offer, does this immediately void my Ottawa offer?   I.e, should i only list schools that i am waiting on as schools which i am sure i would prefer over the school I currently have an offer from?  Is there an opportunity to review the details of the offer, for example, the bursary/scholarship money, before making a final decision?

Secondly, what happens if i list two schools as wait and see, for example, i am accepted to Ottawa and waiting on Western and Bora Laskin.  What happens to my Bora Laskin offer if i receive the offer from Western?

Finally, are there different rules for provisional acceptances across different schools?

Thanks!

Edited by thesamasaurus

I'm not certain, but this is what I suspect is the case: 

Q1: Getting into Western after provisionally accepting Ottawa will not void your offer from Ottawa.

Q2: Getting into Western after provisionally accepting Ottawa and marking a continued interest in Western and BL will not cancel your application to BL.

Q3: Not that I am aware of.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:08 AM, SneakySuspect said:

I'm not certain, but this is what I suspect is the case: 

Q1: Getting into Western after provisionally accepting Ottawa will not void your offer from Ottawa.

Q2: Getting into Western after provisionally accepting Ottawa and marking a continued interest in Western and BL will not cancel your application to BL.

Q3: Not that I am aware of.

Thank you!  i ended up calling OUAC to be sure, and these answers are all correct

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, thesamasaurus said:

Thank you!  i ended up calling OUAC to be sure, and these answers are all correct

I noticed that even though I have provisionally accepted one of my offers, OLSAS still says "Offer Expires 2019-04-01"

I thought this expiry would disappear get I sent the provisional acceptance. Come April 1st my provisional acceptance will still exist right?

It seems silly as I'm asking this but I just want to be certain.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:15 PM, thedraper said:

I noticed that even though I have provisionally accepted one of my offers, OLSAS still says "Offer Expires 2019-04-01"

I thought this expiry would disappear get I sent the provisional acceptance. Come April 1st my provisional acceptance will still exist right?

It seems silly as I'm asking this but I just want to be certain.

Make sure you actually confirm your provisional acceptance by resubmitting your entire application... All the bars on the side should disappear for a few days just like when you submitted your app for the first time.  Simply  provisionally accepting and then clicking submit on the choices / offers page doesnt actually do anything to update your application.

• Like 1

If we are provisionally accepting the offer, should I still click accept on the actual schools online portal? Or just leave it empty for now since OLSAS already says provisional acceptance as my status for the school?

4 hours ago, kunaRT said:

If we are provisionally accepting the offer, should I still click accept on the actual schools online portal? Or just leave it empty for now since OLSAS already says provisional acceptance as my status for the school?

That's a good question. I only have Ottawa and their portal does not have any option to accept.

20 hours ago, kunaRT said:

I don't think so, you should only have to accept through OLSAS. The package you get from law schools in the mail should have given you detailed advice on what to do. I know mine from Western did. 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:03 AM, thominator12 said:

I don't think so, you should only have to accept through OLSAS. The package you get from law schools in the mail should have given you detailed advice on what to do. I know mine from Western did. 

Wait, you get something in the mail from the school? I didn't get anything from Ottawa.

3 hours ago, thedraper said:

Wait, you get something in the mail from the school? I didn't get anything from Ottawa.

I only got one from both Dalhousie and Western as I haven't been accepted into Ottawa. I would think in their acceptance email that they would tell you if they sent something to you!

Posted (edited)

Just wondering, we do not have to pay the deposit when we provisionally accept? Because when I resubmitted the whole application after provisionally accepting my choice, the fee was shown as $0 not $500. 

Edited by sunshine59

6 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

Just wondering, we do not have to pay the deposit when we provisionally accept? Because when I resubmitted the whole application after provisionally accepting my choice, the fee was shown as $0 not $500. 

Can't speak for all schools, but Western has a deadline for the deposit of June (or July) first. So at least in that case you don't have to pay the deposit when provisionally accepting their offer. 

7 hours ago, sunshine59 said:

we do not have to pay the deposit when we provisionally accept?

No. Your acceptance letter should tell you when the deposit is due.

For me, for Windsor, it's June 1st. (I suspect it's the same for everyone accepted to any ONT before June 1st, but cannot confirm.) You pay the deposit to the school (as probably outlined in your offer), not to OLSAS. 

• Like 1