Hello everyone,

I’m curious to know how much time people spend studying the LSAT. Please comment how much prep you’ve done in terms of hours, days, or months. Just trying to get a general sense of how much prep is needed to be successful. Thanks! 

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but it really depends on you. I'm not the type of person who can sit and study for hours on end every day, So I studied a couple of hours a week  over the span of 4 months and that worked for me. I was also working full time and taking a few classes, so I didn't have tons of time to dedicate to the LSAT. I have a friend who studied every day for several hours in the span of 4 months and that worked for her. So, I would say take your diagnostic and see how much time you can/ want to dedicate to studying. Good luck, and don't wear yourself thin!

• Like 3

Obviously @Linaelm hits the nail on the head here but that doesn't mean you can't get some value out of knowing how much time others have put in.

I would add also that if you devoted yourself to the LSAT you can probably really push yourself to hit and push your upper limit (so to speak). But you should consider the cost/benefit analysis: is it worth it to you to spend X amount of time for a hypothetical Y increase in your score? 

Personally, I gradually increased the time and effort I put into LSAT studying so that a six months prior I occasionally did a few games, arguments, and reading analyses throughout the week. I downloaded an app on my phone that provided random practice questions and messed around with it during spare moments. A couple months prior I started sitting down for a few hours at a time to do some timed practice questions and study methodology. Then, those three weeks prior I probably spent about 20 hours/week aside of full time work to study and practice.

• Thanks 1

I would definitely plan to overstudy and then realize you feel ready and cut down, rather than understudy and feel stress as your approach the exam.  When I studied I didn't do it in an efficient way, essentially I practiced by just jamming test after test, and then realized months in I should have bought a prepcourse.  I went with 7sage because it was the cheapest I could find, although im sure there are others.

For actual hour estimate,

The 7sage course is 100-150 hours depending on how long you spend on the practice questions. I would highly recommend doing a course and most are around this long I believe.  Try not to spend too much 7sage is $180 and I know there are a few others at this price range.

After the course, you should aim to do at least 30-40 timed preptests, and each test should have a blind reivew after.  This is where you go over every question you are unsure about with unlimited time, and look to change answers.  Each timed preptest is 5 hours and each blind review is 1-3 hours, so let's say 8*number of preptests, let's say you decide to do 30, then that's another 240 hours.

If you want to have a decent chance of maximizing your potential score, your looking at a minimum of 400 hours, but you might need more than this, I personally probably spent 800 hours.

Everyone's different, and I'm sure some really high scorers did less than this, but many others follow this method and end up doing nearly every preptest available.  I personally I was able to increase my score almost 30 points from my diagnostic and I firmly believe pretty much anyone can see huge gains in there LSAT if they study efficiently and put the work in.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, m9717 said:

Hello everyone,

I’m curious to know how much time people spend studying the LSAT. Please comment how much prep you’ve done in terms of hours, days, or months. Just trying to get a general sense of how much prep is needed to be successful. Thanks! 

3-4 months of very intense studying all day. I forgot the hours, lol. 

Like others have said, however, studying for the LSAT will be personalized to you. You might learn the material faster or slower than others.

I'd recommend studying LG, LR and RC in that order. For LG try 7Sage's foolproofing videos. For LR and RC try The LSAT Trainer! 

Good luck! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1