Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have been accepted to another law school and have to pay the commitment fee by March 31... Still waiting to hear back from Calgary as this is the school that I would prefer to attend. Anyone else in a similar position? Would calling admissions to ask if I will know by the 31 be a bad thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m in a similar situation, however I decided to pay the 500$ deposit for UofA to secure my seat in the meantime, that way if UofC accepts me I have time to think about my decision.  As for calling UofC, I would not recommend doing so as calling them will do nothing to move your application forward and as such will be a waste of your time and their time. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I’m in a similar situation, however I decided to pay the 500$ deposit for UofA to secure my seat in the meantime, that way if UofC accepts me I have time to think about my decision.  As for calling UofC, I would not recommend doing so as calling them will do nothing to move your application forward and as such will be a waste of your time and their time. 

ive done the same but have decided to just outright attend U of A. U of C has taken too long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ProjectSanderz52 said:

ive done the same but have decided to just outright attend U of A. U of C has taken too long.

Yeah, it is disappointing how long UofC has taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ProjectSanderz52 said:

ive done the same but have decided to just outright attend U of A. U of C has taken too long.

I have started to come around to that as well, especially after checking out the dean’s welcome document, and yesterday when I received a phone call from a current 2L at UofA to congratulate me and ask if I had any questions about UofA; UofA’s attempts to woo me are definitely working.  I’m keeping an open mind towards UofC in case I get accepted.  

 

Of course it’s understandable why they take longer being a holistic school and all, versus a strictly numbers based school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, octopus said:

Have you paid your deposit yet? I think I will hold off for another week..haha

Yea I paid it, as I only applied to UofA and UofC, and UofC is a curveball so I didn’t want to take any chances, and although not a small pittance, I figured 500$ would be the price I’m willing to pay for knowing I have a seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheSaskConnection said:

Yea I paid it, as I only applied to UofA and UofC, and UofC is a curveball so I didn’t want to take any chances, and although not a small pittance, I figured 500$ would be the price I’m willing to pay for knowing I have a seat. 

Is there a chance that in waiting to pay it that I will not get a seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ad12345 said:

Is there a chance that in waiting to pay it that I will not get a seat?

Are you referring to UofC or UofA?  If UofA gave you an offer you have until March 31st to pay a 500$ non refundable tuition deposit, otherwise come April 1st you will automatically have forfeited your seat at UofA. 

 

Edit: if you have an offer from UofA, your seat is guaranteed to you until March 31st without payment, 

 

edit 2: if you are referring to UofC, yes there is a chance you won’t hear back from UofC.  The UofC admissions officer Malina has stated it is UofC’s mission to get back to all applicants by the end of June, and in past years they have been able to finish in May, this year with the later lsat they are expecting to get back to everyone later than previous years, I.e in June as opposed to May. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheSaskConnection said:

Are you referring to UofC or UofA?  If UofA gave you an offer you have until March 31st to pay a 500$ non refundable tuition deposit, otherwise come April 1st you will automatically have forfeited your seat at UofA. 

UofA. Why not wait until closer to March 31st?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ad12345 said:

UofA. Why not wait until closer to March 31st?

Because UofA was my first choice for a bit, of course alternating between UofC, regardless I was excited getting the offer and wanted to play it safe as opposed to leaving it last minute, 500$ for me won’t be the reason why I can’t eat (thanks Alberta student aid) and I figured there’s no harm paying now, as of right now I’m leaning towards UofA. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheSaskConnection said:

Because UofA was my first choice for a bit, of course alternating between UofC, regardless I was excited getting the offer and wanted to play it safe as opposed to leaving it last minute, 500$ for me won’t be the reason why I can’t eat (thanks Alberta student aid) and I figured there’s no harm paying now, as of right now I’m leaning towards UofA. 

Fair enough. I'm waiting on UofC too, but leaning towards UofA. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ad12345 said:

Fair enough. I'm waiting on UofC too, but leaning towards UofA. Thanks!

If you have any intention on actually attending the UofA, and potentially losing 500$ won’t starve you, I would seriously consider just paying it now.  This way you can rest assured you have a seat reserved for you until June 1st at UofA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...