Hey everyone Im having a little trouble deciding on how I am going to finish my degree. So the problem is my L60 is structured in a way that will most likely be taking 5 courses in the spring/summer and then 6 courses in the fall (2019).. I project to end up having a GPA of around 3.65. On the other hand I could also structure my L60 to be 3 courses in the spring/summer and 5 in the fall.. projecting a GPA at around 3.55. Having said that I also still need to take the LSAT in the summer and I'm leaning towards the September LSAT. Is it smarter to take the section option, ease my school workload and have more time to focus on the LSAT? Or should I push for a 3.65+ GPA and take the heavier Course load and still get an okay amount of studying for the LSAT in the summer. Like I said I still need to tackle the LSAT this summer either way and also Im trying to get in for fall 2020. Let me know your thoughts!

I know my situation is not Ideal.

Posted (edited)

I apologize in advance as this response may not adequately answer your question.  

Using the predictive formula that has been mentioned on this forum a few times (22.5 * L60 GPA + LSAT (average) = x, if x > 242 = auto admit (first round offer most likely)). Now if we assume your estimations of your L60 GPA hold true, then a 0.1 improvement in L60 GPA is worth about 2.25 points based on that formula.  Would spending the extra time on the LSAT get you a score improvement of 3 points or better? If you believe so, then the LSAT is what you should focus on, if not then at least try to score a 158, as with a 159 and 3.65 you should be able to get in.

Edited by TheSaskConnection

I also wanted to mention, that I too made projections of my GPA of upcoming semesters, however this never seemed to work out quite exactly, as such I would strongly encourage caution when making your decision as life can be very unpredictable.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I also wanted to mention, that I too made projections of my GPA of upcoming semesters, however this never seemed to work out quite exactly, as such I would strongly encourage caution when making your decision as life can be very unpredictable.  

You raise valid points.. although I can't tell for-sure how much my LSAT score could be risen choosing the second option, I just started studying for the test a month ago and I believe it the extra study time could be beneficial. Also I know I shouldn't be forecasting GPA because like you said it almost never reflects how you actually do. Having said all this I am still worried that because of such a low potential GPA with respect to the competitive average of 3.8, I am not sure it'll be enough to get in.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, m9717 said:

You raise valid points.. although I can't tell for-sure how much my LSAT score could be risen choosing the second option, I just started studying for the test a month ago and I believe it the extra study time could be beneficial. Also I know I shouldn't be forecasting GPA because like you said it almost never reflects how you actually do. Having said all this I am still worried that because of such a low potential GPA with respect to the competitive average of 3.8, I am not sure it'll be enough to get in.

I got in this year with a ~3.53, of course my lsat was better than the 160 average.

Look at the applicant profile for last year and you will see a matrix that will give you a better idea on what you will need to achieve in order to get accepted.  

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jdmba/admissions/applicant-profile

Go for whatever option is going to give you the most competitive GPA. The admissions thread this year is full of high GPA, relatively low LSAT scorers, so if you have to choose one to focus on, choose GPA.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

Go for whatever option is going to give you the most competitive GPA. The admissions thread this year is full of high GPA, relatively low LSAT scorers, so if you have to choose one to focus on, choose GPA.

Unfortunately basing any conclusion based solely on the accepted thread leads oneself to fall victim to the representative heuristic.  Perhaps higher GPAs are just more common than higher lsats, which is more likely the case as a 151 is a 50th percentile score on the lsat, whereas a few points up at 158 is already about 75th and a 164 is a 90th as such a 150-158 represents 25% of all lsat takers, where as between 164-180 represents only 10% of lsat takers, as such it should be expected to see more high GPAs vs high lsats.