I am just wondering if anyone has ever gotten in with a 151 at U of C? 

I am just guessing, but probably not. The difference between a 151 and a 161 (their average successful LSAT score) is huge. Its a jump from the 48th percentile of test takers to the 82nd percentile. I would assume that even with exceptional EC's (like you spent time as a UN delegate for a European country) and perfect grades, it might still be a long shot. If that is you, then spend time studying for the LSAT and add some point to that. See if you can push it even as high as 158.

Posted (edited)

I think Brookvale is entirely right but I would qualify it with the following.

(1) UofC is holistic in its admissions process. On top of your LSAT score and transcripts, UofC requires you to get two references and write a statement of interest as well. You also have the option to write a "special facts" section and they have an Indigenous admissions review process as well. A low score can be offset with these other factors.

BUT (2) they may impose a minimum LSAT or GPA requirement any given year. So there is also a good chance that a 151 is below the threshold to even be considered.

In summary, for the average person (and you're probably more average then you think) a 151 means its time to go back to the books and practice tests. Chances are good you can do better and just need to study more. 

Edited by ImposterSyndrome

22 hours ago, ImposterSyndrome said:

I think Brookvale is entirely right but I would qualify it with the following.

(1) UofC is holistic in its admissions process. On top of your LSAT score and transcripts, UofC requires you to get two references and write a statement of interest as well. You also have the option to write a "special facts" section and they have an Indigenous admissions review process as well. A low score can be offset with these other factors.

BUT (2) they may impose a minimum LSAT or GPA requirement any given year. So there is also a good chance that a 151 is below the threshold to even be considered.

In summary, for the average person (and you're probably more average then you think) a 151 means its time to go back to the books and practice tests. Chances are good you can do better and just need to study more. 

You're right, the second time I took the lsat I studied for 31 days, fully 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Even if that were true (I have no idea), I'd wouldn't put much stock in that given the recent hatchet job of a provincial budget. That said, 2L at UCalgary here and I think everyone I know who was looking for a Vancouver summer got one. So being the next province over isn't the end of the world if the scholarship comes into play as a big factor.
    • I know there are some other threads about this topic but I'm wondering if this holds true for specifically this scenario and there are quite a few vague or mixed answers on the topic, I'm wonder if phrasing it differently would elicit a different answer. Do BigLaw firms in Toronto/Vancouver hire people with really bad undergrad marks(CGPA) that end up doing very well in Law(1L specifically). This is a hypothetical situation. Has anyone had this experience where they were a summer student or articled in a big law firm and did well in law school but poorly in undergrad?(I suspect these are unicorns but I'm still curious)  One of the reasons I'm asking is because certain law schools attract more students who have a really great undergrad transcript and those schools have better representation in big law firms in Ontario(source: Ultravire). I'm wondering if the students advantage is also having really high undergrad marks which influence hiring. 
    • I read this question and I was really hoping someone would have wise words in response. Have you made any discoveries on how to apply for associate jobs? @mrn2008
    • Thinking of grabbing them. Paired with a suit at a somewhat stuffy national firm. 
    • 1L at UBC here. I was also deciding between UVic and UBC earlier this year. I ended up choosing UBC because I wanted to work in Vancouver and the cost factor (I was able to live at home and save $$$). I was also worried about the competitiveness at UBC but so far it hasn't been an issue. People are super friendly and collaborative, much more so than in undergrad. It was really easy to make friends and form study groups despite the fact that I'm not that outgoing. There is  competitiveness in the sense that everyone is trying their best and striving to be above average but I doubt that that's uniquely a UBC thing. The small group you're placed in also makes a difference. I've heard some posters say their small group is very corporate focused but I found mine to be the opposite - full of social justice and public interest folks. The school is also large enough that you will probably find people with similar interests as you.  If you are interested in criminal law, the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic and the Innocence Project are also great experiential learning opportunities. I'm not sure how competitive these are but an upper year told me that if you're really interested in clinic placements, you should be able to get into one but it may not be your top choice. You could also volunteer at LSLAP within the first month of law school. I didn't do this, but I know people who were going to court in their third month of law school.