I am just wondering if anyone has ever gotten in with a 151 at U of C? 

I am just guessing, but probably not. The difference between a 151 and a 161 (their average successful LSAT score) is huge. Its a jump from the 48th percentile of test takers to the 82nd percentile. I would assume that even with exceptional EC's (like you spent time as a UN delegate for a European country) and perfect grades, it might still be a long shot. If that is you, then spend time studying for the LSAT and add some point to that. See if you can push it even as high as 158.

Posted (edited)

I think Brookvale is entirely right but I would qualify it with the following.

(1) UofC is holistic in its admissions process. On top of your LSAT score and transcripts, UofC requires you to get two references and write a statement of interest as well. You also have the option to write a "special facts" section and they have an Indigenous admissions review process as well. A low score can be offset with these other factors.

BUT (2) they may impose a minimum LSAT or GPA requirement any given year. So there is also a good chance that a 151 is below the threshold to even be considered.

In summary, for the average person (and you're probably more average then you think) a 151 means its time to go back to the books and practice tests. Chances are good you can do better and just need to study more. 

Edited by ImposterSyndrome

22 hours ago, ImposterSyndrome said:

I think Brookvale is entirely right but I would qualify it with the following.

(1) UofC is holistic in its admissions process. On top of your LSAT score and transcripts, UofC requires you to get two references and write a statement of interest as well. You also have the option to write a "special facts" section and they have an Indigenous admissions review process as well. A low score can be offset with these other factors.

BUT (2) they may impose a minimum LSAT or GPA requirement any given year. So there is also a good chance that a 151 is below the threshold to even be considered.

In summary, for the average person (and you're probably more average then you think) a 151 means its time to go back to the books and practice tests. Chances are good you can do better and just need to study more. 

You're right, the second time I took the lsat I studied for 31 days, fully 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I think you're thinking a little too much. As long as its easy to read and concise, you're good. My friend spelled a firm's name wrong and they still ended up offering him a position. If they want you, they want you. 
    • Nathan Fox LR Encyclopedia (helped me a lot with LR) LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim 
    • When I was studying for the LSAT 1.5 years ago, I took the Kaplan course (in Edmonton) and to be honest, I think it was a waste of my time and money. I've always been the type of student to want structure and need to be held accountable, which is one of the reasons I took the Kaplan course. However, I feel as though I was more productive studying on my own.  Some of the resources I used at Nathan Fox LR Encyclopedia, the LSAT Trainer and 7Sage (for logical games). I purchased tests online and timed myself, again and again. I read one passage of RC before bed every single night and focused my daytime studying on LR and LG.    I have a buddy who did the Oxford Seminars (in Edmonton too), and he didn't like it. I think it really depends on your studying habits and preferences. I was unable to enjoy the Kaplan class because I felt as though I already had a foundation of the basics, which is why going through it in class wasn't helpful. To each their own. Based off of my personal experience, I wouldn't spend that much money on a course when I could spend a couple hundred on books/tests and learn myself just as well.   
    • Thank you for that introduction. This whole discussion is stupid. It's not even stupid in an interesting way, where one person is inviting correction so obviously that it's fun to slap them down. It's just low-grade stupidity that infuses everything said here, and indicts everyone participating in it. I feel stupider myself, as I type this. @OP - Calm the hell down. Seriously. Some anxiety is normal, but anxiety to the point that you're hanging on every ridiculous and unsupportable thing that anyone else has ever said to you about grades is just sad. Every practicing lawyer has had a client like you - someone who asks twelve other people about whatever thing is going on with their legal situation and then needs to have a conversation about whatever that person has just told them, whether it's ignorant, informed, sane, or complete nonsense. Anxiety that drives you to do this isn't healthy. Get basic information, apply common sense, and stop there. In this case, that would lead to the conclusion that no one can offer you any certainty regarding the outcome of job applications you haven't made yet, so just apply to jobs you want and hope for the best. What the hell else could there possibly be? @Everyone Else - Stupid 1Ls are gonna be stupid 1Ls. It's fine to have at least a bit of fun critiquing their anxiety, but there's no need to dig back into every life choice they've made to get to this point. At some point it's just done. @OP Again - Some of the superfluous observations here may be worth thinking about all the same. Your need to over-complicate decision-making isn't doing you any favors. Do as well as you can in your classes, seek the jobs you're interested in, etc. Do your best, see where that gets you, and reevaluate as needed. It isn't necessarily easy. You're in competition with some very talented people at this point. But it is uncomplicated. Stop looking for secrets, codes, and patterns that aren't there. Now everyone go to bed.
    • https://www.ualberta.ca/law/about/news/main-news/2019/may/looking-back   hey all, 0L here admitted to uAlberta for the fall, super excited to start!  I've read on here a lot of mixed reviews about the outgoing dean and the both positive and negative impacts on the program over the last half decade.  I found the above link and it seems like the faculty is on the way up.  Obviously this being an official publication on the website of course it's going to paint a rosy picture.  Could anyone speak to the general attitude among the student body about how the program is faring and if you've noticed any material changes to the quality of the program?  Also any tips about the first few weeks of moving to Edmonton and starting law school would be greatly appreciated!