sey

bear tracks decision is still pending?

we're getting pretty late in the cycle here and my application has been pending since I sent my fall transcripts in. 

I don't mean to be impatient but is anyone else also in this boat? I'm getting pretty worried !!!

Myself and many others I'm sure. 

Acceptances went out last year until mid to late May, followed by waitlists and rejections. 

L2 3.93 and Avg LSAT 150 (238.43 index using 22.5) - I expect to hear something in May. It's a waiting game until then. 

Just now, SciLaw said:

Myself and many others I'm sure. 

Acceptances went out last year until mid to late May, followed by waitlists and rejections. 

L2 3.93 and Avg LSAT 150 (238.43 index using 22.5) - I expect to hear something in May. It's a waiting game until then. 

It really reassures me that there are others in my similar boat! I rly hope we all can get in and not be waitlisted! 

Also still listed as Decision Pending, since mid December. 

Anyone else find it somewhat odd that the Dean’s Welcome appears to be held before all seats have been accepted? Way to make the late-accepted feel welcome, lol!

1 hour ago, FairEnough said:

Anyone else find it somewhat odd that the Dean’s Welcome appears to be held before all seats have been accepted? Way to make the late-accepted feel welcome, lol!

It is my understanding that the dean’s welcome is a pseudo sales pitch, that is they are trying to convince those offered seats already to accept (as this would be the ideal case), as those offered first round seats are more likely to pump up their average GPA and LSAT accepted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairEnough said:

I don’t think the UofA does this intentionally to spite the later offered seats, as they do upload the dean’s welcome onto YouTube, and you can always ask for a tour later if you so desire. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

It is my understanding that the dean’s welcome is a pseudo sales pitch

That was my takeaway as well when I watched what they put on YouTube from last year. And if that’s the case they should strongly consider renaming it an Open House, not an official Welcome event. 

30 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I don’t think the UofA does this intentionally to spite the later offered seats

Intentionally or not the message sent is “Welcome first round offers we really, really want you here! The rest of you, we don’t expect a lot from so if you could just show up in September and give us your money and not waste our time too much, yeah that’d be great. Or not. Whatevs...” 

I know there’s still orientation and such, but to hold a welcome event for half your class has to inevitably leave a sour taste for everyone not invited who then feel like they were admitted as an afterthought. Or so I would assume. lol😆

37 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

That was my takeaway as well when I watched what they put on YouTube from last year. And if that’s the case they should strongly consider renaming it an Open House, not an official Welcome event. 

Intentionally or not the message sent is “Welcome first round offers we really, really want you here! The rest of you, we don’t expect a lot from so if you could just show up in September and give us your money and not waste our time too much, yeah that’d be great. Or not. Whatevs...” 

I know there’s still orientation and such, but to hold a welcome event for half your class has to inevitably leave a sour taste for everyone not invited who then feel like they were admitted as an afterthought. Or so I would assume. lol😆

I think you are reading way too much into this, I would be willing to bet this is more about logistics than anything else.  Furthermore, the dean’s welcome is not half the class, more likely ~70-80% of the class is set by March 31st. Look at previous acceptance threads and notice the trend of acceptances offered beyond March 31, of course people are still accepted beyond then, up to and including the summer, however for the most part the class will be set. The second round offers are only made because someone offered a seat before March 31st either declined or lapsed on their deposit deadline, no additional seats are made for the second round offers.  The UofA has approximately 165 seats for “regular applicants” all seats are offered to the top 165 people in terms of the UofA’s ranking system within the first round offer period.

Lastly, aren’t other law schools’ open houses/dean’s welcome around end of March - April? 

• Like 3

The UofA likely also does it “earlier” at the end of March to try to convince those offered seats already to pick UofA over a different school, with those other schools’ dean’s welcome might be later in the year, as the 500$ deposit you have to make to reserve your seat until June 1st (when another 500$ deposit is required) is not refundable, if anything maybe they’re hoping for a few people to pay the deposit for March 31st and if they decide to not attend the UofA, they get a free 500$ lol

Edited by TheSaskConnection

2 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

think you are reading way too much into this, I would be willing to bet this is more about logistics than anything else. 

LOL quite possibly, yes, and I understand the logistics involved, I’m just pointing out the obvious issues with holding a Welcome Event that’s not extended to the whole class (especially one that supposedly gives out free swag, lol). I also am not as invested in this as it might sound from my ranting 😉 - I don’t care either way, I just think it’s a dumb way to do things. 

I suppose I might be less bitter if at any point in the last five months I had been extended the courtesy of basic communication regarding my application while they’re rolling out the red carpet for first round offers... but whatever, it’s cool. ☺️

53 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

all seats are offered to the top 165 people in terms of the UofA’s ranking system within the first round offer period.

Sure, and of those top 165 applicants their yield is probably close to 33% because a lot of those top offers were accepted to multiple schools... so all the more reason to hold your Open House Event for undecideds in say, Jan or Feb which would in turn garner more commits and declinations from that first round crop earlier in the cycle. Then you can firm up the rest of your class and have your Welcome Event in like May when more seats are locked down. 

Just now, FairEnough said:

LOL quite possibly, yes, and I understand the logistics involved, I’m just pointing out the obvious issues with holding a Welcome Event that’s not extended to the whole class (especially one that supposedly gives out free swag, lol). I also am not as invested in this as it might sound from my ranting 😉 - I don’t care either way, I just think it’s a dumb way to do things. 

I suppose I might be less bitter if at any point in the last five months I had been extended the courtesy of basic communication regarding my application while they’re rolling out the red carpet for first round offers... but whatever, it’s cool. ☺️

Sure, and of those top 165 applicants their yield is probably close to 33% because a lot of those top offers were accepted to multiple schools... so all the more reason to hold your Open House Event for undecideds in say, Jan or Feb which would in turn garner more commits and declinations from that first round crop earlier in the cycle. Then you can firm up the rest of your class and have your Welcome Event in like May when more seats are locked down. 

I’d be curious to know the yield on 2nd round offers. Maybe they do the welcome prior to the acceptance deadline for first round because those people have been accepted to multiple schools and have a lower chance of picking u of a whereas maybe they typically see a high yield with their 2nd round offers and don’t see the need to woo them into accepting.

Complete speculation on my part though 

• Like 1

I would wager UofA’s yield rate for first round offers is higher than 33% as UofA is up there with UBC in terms of western Canadian regional ranking.  Additionally, UofA most likely receives most of the applications from western Canada and as such people would be more inclined to accept if offered to stay in the region.  

5 minutes ago, bigfudge2017 said:

I’d be curious to know the yield on 2nd round offers. Maybe they do the welcome prior to the acceptance deadline for first round because those people have been accepted to multiple schools and have a lower chance of picking u of a whereas maybe they typically see a high yield with their 2nd round offers and don’t see the need to woo them into accepting.

I would tend to agree, I think this is 99% of the reasoning... but I stand by my suggestion; Separate the wooing from the welcoming and include all firm acceptances in the latter, that’s all! 😆🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigfudge2017 said:

This sounds very plausible, as it is possible many people who receive UofA second round offers are more likely not getting many offers elsewhere, I.e. someone is not getting into UBC before UofA etc... so the idea to not have to woo them as much definitely could be possible.  Furthermore due to second round offers coming in April, which is fairly deep/late into the cycle people could definitely be waiting on any law school to get into, or at least only have their safeties (E.g. TRU, no shade on TRU spreaking in terms of stats alone) 

20 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

Holding the event in Jan or feb wouldn’t be very effective, as many applicants have to wait until their fall semester transcripts are finalized before their application can be considered complete.  

13 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I would wager UofA’s yield rate for first round offers is higher than 33% as UofA is up there with UBC in terms of western Canadian regional ranking.  Additionally, UofA most likely receives most of the applications from western Canada and as such people would be more inclined to accept if offered to stay in the region.  

Nah, not necessarily. There’s guaranteed to be a lot of crossover between the top 100 applicants across all Canadian schools. Since it’s a lot of the same folks getting acceptances across the board for each firm acceptance there’s several schools getting declinations from that same student. That means that those top 100 students represent 100 possible firm accepts and anywhere from 100-500 possible declinations spread out over all the schools.

Of those same top applicants, for every student who chooses U of A to stay in the region, there’s one choosing U of T and one choosing Dal for the same reason. The need to woo those students is real, I’m not disputing that, I just question the wisdom of a Dean’s Welcome that necessarily excludes a portion of your class, that’s all.