Jump to content
capitalttruth

What to do if I don`t get in this year

Recommended Posts

Gauging the appropriate course of action if I don`t get in this year. I was rejected everywhere last year with 3.25, 3.73, 153 in Access. I applied to most Ontario schools again this year but with 3.25, 3.73, 164 (from January) and MA, again in Access. Haven`t heard anything. Wondering what my strategy for applying should be for next year if I don`t get in anywhere this year.

1) I`ve written the LSAT three times with the most recent 164. Pretty happy with this score and don`t see myself rewriting.

2) Finished my Masters, so that`s out.

3) How feasible would it be to go back and take courses extra to my degree to raise my GPA

4) I will be 28 in April, perhaps next year I could apply as a Mature student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s still a bit early to count yourself out. Many people are admitted well into the spring and summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too early. The next wave of acceptances for many schools should be over the next couple of weeks. Your L2 and LSAT are too good to count yourself out right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree that it's still early to count yourself out, I understand wanting to prepare yourself. I'm in the same boat as you and I plan to take some courses as a post graduate student to improve my GPA if I don't get in this cycle. We are the same age, and I needed to slow down and realize that I need to do this right, not fast. So I've gotten in touch with University of Waterloo where I did my undergrad, and I'm prepared to submit an application for readmission if I don't hear back by August 1st. We also have the same LSAT score, but this was my first write so I feel ok about taking it again. I understand not wanting to rewrite though. 

So, in summation I would say it's very feasible for you to go back to school and take some courses. It's also a great Idea for you to apply in the mature category, assuming you satisfy any other conditions of same.

Good luck and I hope you get in this cycle!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Gauging the appropriate course of action if I don`t get in this year. I was rejected everywhere last year with 3.25, 3.73, 153 in Access. I applied to most Ontario schools again this year but with 3.25, 3.73, 164 (from January) and MA, again in Access. Haven`t heard anything. Wondering what my strategy for applying should be for next year if I don`t get in anywhere this year.

1) I`ve written the LSAT three times with the most recent 164. Pretty happy with this score and don`t see myself rewriting.

2) Finished my Masters, so that`s out.

3) How feasible would it be to go back and take courses extra to my degree to raise my GPA

4) I will be 28 in April, perhaps next year I could apply as a Mature student.

Do not worry too much.

Although I know that your top choice is uOttawa Law, I am quite sure that you should be in either Western or Queen's Law at the least.

I have not heard back anything yet either. Like you, I am an Access applicant with 3.78 CGPA, 3.78 B3, 3.84 L2, MA, and currently doing a combined degree of two Master programs.

Honestly speaking, I currently think that I may be rejected from all law schools to which I have applied; I have applied to all law schools in Ontario under either Access or Mature category.

I have already registered the 2019 July LSAT due to the possibility of rejections.

Anyway, good luck! I really wish you get in.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Do not worry too much.

Although I know that your top choice is uOttawa Law, I am quite sure that you should be in either Western or Queen's Law at the least.

I have not heard back anything yet either. Like you, I am an Access applicant with 3.78 CGPA, 3.78 B3, 3.84 L2, MA, and currently doing a combined degree of two Master programs.

Honestly speaking, I currently think that I may be rejected from all law schools to which I have applied; I have applied to all law schools in Ontario under either Access or Mature category.

I have already registered the 2019 July LSAT due to the possibility of rejections.

Anyway, good luck! I really wish you get in.  

I think, for whatever reason, they are taking a long time to get back to Access applicants. I haven't heard of many acceptances under Access, at least on this forum anyway. I'll take a chill pill for now and resolutely admit that it is a bit early to count ourselves out, especially considering this Access phenomenon.

I am banking on Queens if uOttawa falls through, but I'm just slightly worried they won't take my L2 into account because for health reasons I never had a full load of courses for a full academic year. I appreciate your kind words, though.

Edited by capitalttruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Linaelm said:

While I agree that it's still early to count yourself out, I understand wanting to prepare yourself. I'm in the same boat as you and I plan to take some courses as a post graduate student to improve my GPA if I don't get in this cycle. We are the same age, and I needed to slow down and realize that I need to do this right, not fast. So I've gotten in touch with University of Waterloo where I did my undergrad, and I'm prepared to submit an application for readmission if I don't hear back by August 1st. We also have the same LSAT score, but this was my first write so I feel ok about taking it again. I understand not wanting to rewrite though. 

So, in summation I would say it's very feasible for you to go back to school and take some courses. It's also a great Idea for you to apply in the mature category, assuming you satisfy any other conditions of same.

Good luck and I hope you get in this cycle!

Did you find out how many courses you would need to raise your cGPA? Mine is low (3.25) so I think it would take two full years to raise it to a 3.4-3.5 which still would be a little low. I think I may have a better chance applying in the Access category this year and in the Mature category next year if I don't get in.

The Access category is supposed to be there for legitimate cases that had an effect on the students grades. In my estimation, I fit this criteria. It would defeat the purpose, by definition, to go back and raise my GPA, if this process was deemed too costly in terms of time and money. In my view, the Access category gives students like me a chance to demonstrate academic potential outside of my GPA, which by virtue of my L2, LSAT score, and MA, I have demonstrated. 

The waiting is just making me crazy and causing me to doubt the consistency of this process. I feel like if I had a higher GPA, I would have been accepted back in January with my LSAT score. But because, cosmetically, my GPA doesn't look too hot without the proper context (which by way of being an Access applicant, the committees wont know until they do a thorough review of my file), my application gets pushed back. The limbo and the uncertainty immediately causes me to think the worst, and I go through all of these what-if scenarios of what to do if I don't get in. I guess I should just sit back and trust the process.

Also: Are you confident that you can increase your current score? Our scores are quite high, in the 90th percentile. Would be difficult to improve from there, don't you think? But if you feel you can, go get 'em.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not fun to wait but you have 5.5 months before courses begin. Keep the faith. Consider applying more broadly next cycle if things don't go how you want them to this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, capitalttruth said:


Also: Are you confident that you can increase your current score? Our scores are quite high, in the 90th percentile. Would be difficult to improve from there, don't you think? But if you feel you can, go get 'em.

I think you'll get in and I can totally relate the waiting suuuuucks. The only reason why I think I may be able to is because a fire alarm went off during the exam. When it went off, people obviously stopped writing and waited for further instructions, but the proctor did not stop the clock immediately, she waited until the announcement came on that we had to evacuate (about 2 minutes, which makes a difference). We had to evacuate, stand outside for ~30 minutes in -15 weather (with no jackets), and return to the test. When we got back in she did not turn back the timer, nor did she wait until everyone had settled in to begin. It threw me and everyone else off, and people who were doing the RC sections had to reread their paragraphs which is a major waste of time. Luckily I was doing LR, but it still took me a minute or two to get back in the groove of things. 

Anyway, that's my LSAT horror story and why I would write it again, despite my score. 

with respect to the cGPA, I'm more concerned about my L2, which by taking a semester of courses I could increase enough to make a difference. I guess my thinking is, if I don't get in I'll be playing the waiting game anyway; I might as well work on improving my stats while I'm at it. 

 

Edit: I did take a couple of courses while studying for the LSAT, and that made a difference for my L2. 

Edited by Linaelm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Linaelm said:

While I agree that it's still early to count yourself out, I understand wanting to prepare yourself. I'm in the same boat as you and I plan to take some courses as a post graduate student to improve my GPA if I don't get in this cycle. We are the same age, and I needed to slow down and realize that I need to do this right, not fast. So I've gotten in touch with University of Waterloo where I did my undergrad, and I'm prepared to submit an application for readmission if I don't hear back by August 1st. We also have the same LSAT score, but this was my first write so I feel ok about taking it again. I understand not wanting to rewrite though. 

So, in summation I would say it's very feasible for you to go back to school and take some courses. It's also a great Idea for you to apply in the mature category, assuming you satisfy any other conditions of same.

Good luck and I hope you get in this cycle!

Just a general question because I am considering going back and taking post-graduate courses. Does anyone know how schools view these courses? Like to what extent do these extra courses count because it would be obvious that the courses are being taken to increase GPA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lawapplicant97 said:

Just a general question because I am considering going back and taking post-graduate courses. Does anyone know how schools view these courses? Like to what extent do these extra courses count because it would be obvious that the courses are being taken to increase GPA 

I think it depends on the school. Some schools will count your last 20 courses as your last 2 years. Either way I don't see how it would harm, even if it did look like you were trying to increase you GPA, that's a positive thing. It shows that you are willing to work towards an acceptance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back up plans are always a good idea. 

Maybe try to get a job? Perhaps something like University admissions offices, or working with OSAP etc.  You could even try to tap the government (I know they are hiring a lot of entry positions for the census at stats can. etc.) 

Next year, if you still want to be a lawyer, then apply super broadly - go across Canada - I would think with a 164 you'll probably get in somewhere. 

I'm not sure about every school, but at most of them you have to be out of school for at least 5 years to apply as a mature student. Since you've completed (are completing?) your MA, the 5 years wouldn't start until you're finished it. 

Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheScientist101 said:

Back up plans are always a good idea. 

Maybe try to get a job? Perhaps something like University admissions offices, or working with OSAP etc.  You could even try to tap the government (I know they are hiring a lot of entry positions for the census at stats can. etc.) 

Next year, if you still want to be a lawyer, then apply super broadly - go across Canada - I would think with a 164 you'll probably get in somewhere. 

I'm not sure about every school, but at most of them you have to be out of school for at least 5 years to apply as a mature student. Since you've completed (are completing?) your MA, the 5 years wouldn't start until you're finished it. 

Good luck!

 

Applying broadly would be an issue because I have an anxiety disorder that would be exacerbated if I moved far from my family and doctors. Living in Ottawa, Western is about as far as I'll go out of pure necessity. 

I work for the government now, so if I don't get in this year I'll continue working with gov and save money to go towards tuition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on your LSAT jump. Good for you. I would wager that you are certainly getting in this cycle. Especially at L2/B2 schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SlickRick said:

Congratulations on your LSAT jump. Good for you. I would wager that you are certainly getting in this cycle. Especially at L2/B2 schools.

Thanks very much. I`m losing hope at this point; despite my high LSAT, I'm seeing people with lower stats than me be accepted since January. Leads me to believe that the schools are not taking my access claim into account and harshly weighing my cGPA against my L2 and LSAT. Makes me wonder just how competitive I am and whether I should expect to be accepted in the coming batches to go out over the next few weeks. Aren`t we getting late into the cycle? How many offers are sent out between now and end of May? I don't want to be waitlisted again.

Edited by capitalttruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Thanks very much. I`m losing hope at this point; despite my high LSAT, I'm seeing people with lower stats than me be accepted since January. Leads me to believe that the schools are not taking my access claim into account and harshly weighing my cGPA against my L2 and LSAT. Makes me wonder just how competitive I am and whether I should expect to be accepted in the coming batches to go out over the next few weeks. Aren`t we getting late into the cycle? How many offers are sent out between now and end of May? I don't want to be waitlisted again.

Those of us who have offers have until April 1st. And others on here have said, and I think it typically makes sense, that those who have offers, have multiple offers. Find solace in that. I think you will certainly get in and not be waitlisted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SlickRick said:

Those of us who have offers have until April 1st. And others on here have said, and I think it typically makes sense, that those who have offers, have multiple offers. Find solace in that. I think you will certainly get in and not be waitlisted. 

Thanks Rick, I really hope you're right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • Just bumping this. It is so important to have at least a base knowledge of criminal law - at the very least, family practitioners should know how to read a recognizance/undertaking, know the process to vary conditions, basic evidence (Khan applications, third party record), and a basic understanding of the more common charges (assault, assault w/weapon, mischief, threats).  The intersection between family and criminal can be fairly interesting and devestating on families. 
    • The ACORN payment site notes that payment may be made by money order or by credit card (which I would really really prefer) whereas The steps for newly admitted students says: ”$500 in Canadian currency, in the form of a certified cheque or money order only, payable to “University of Toronto”. “ anyone with any experiences here who can help me out? Can I pay by credit card?
    • Thanks a lot. Is it okay if I pm you? Guys, any idea when is the earliest one can move in? I was thinking of moving in during the summer ( assuming i pay the deposit, apply for housing and register and end up being allotted).
    • Hi guys, I’m currently a 2L student and I’m curious how law firms look at the CFA program. Anyone found it helpful in securing an article? Or does it generally help in your practice?  Thanks for all the inputs!
    • Hello! Can anyone tell me what to expect for the Public Prosecution Service of Canada's written take home exam? I got invitation to write their exam for a counsel position. 
×
×
  • Create New...