cglab

From Summer Student to Articling Student - Bay Street

I am working at a firm this summer and I was wondering if a summer position automatically guarantees you a position for articling? 

If not, is it competitive between summer students working at the firm to prove themselves (in order to secure a limited number of articling offers given to the summer students)?

You'd have to do something fairly egregious to not be hired back for articles. You'll probably be fine.

I am piggybacking on this post. Is being retained from 1L summer to 2L summer practically guaranteed as well? Is law school over if one secured a 1L position at a firm in which they plan to stay?

6 minutes ago, FoG said:

I am piggybacking on this post. Is being retained from 1L summer to 2L summer practically guaranteed as well? Is law school over if one secured a 1L position at a firm in which they plan to stay?

Law school is over once you graduate.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Answer depends on the type of firm. Bay Street? Yes, summer basically guarantees articling. Smaller shops? Harder to predict unless they have established practice.

23 minutes ago, FoG said:

I've basically been thinking the same thing since I secured a 2L summer position. Maybe if you turn your position into articling then I guess "school" is "over" but you could be royally boned if you don't get hired back as an associate after articling and one has to hand out a resume full of C's because you thought law school was over after the first year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

Law school is over once you graduate.

1 hour ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

I've basically been thinking the same thing since I secured a 2L summer position. Maybe if you turn your position into articling then I guess "school" is "over" but you could be royally boned if you don't get hired back as an associate after articling and one has to hand out a resume full of C's because you thought law school was over after the first year.

Haha, I know. Since securing a 1L position, I haven't taken my foot off the gas because I still have personal goals. But I've been studying without the anxiety of not having a job/articles. It would be nice if that never went away is all.

15 minutes ago, FoG said:

Haha, I know. Since securing a 1L position, I haven't taken my foot off the gas because I still have personal goals. But I've been studying without the anxiety of not having a job/articles. It would be nice if that never went away is all.

Also got a 1L position. Can confirm that the stress-free living will continue. I was actually stressed about not being stressed (which I’m picking up from your post as well). I also didn’t take my foot off the gas until second semester 2L but did equally as well with 1/4 of the effort that semester. In 3L I spent like maybe 20% my day doing LS-related stuff and tried hard to only do literally anything other than law school. It was really hard to see the point in toiling when the foreseeable future post-LS involved much toiling. My grades stayed the same. Re your first post and 1L piggybacking into 2L summer: my firm’s policy was basically PFO until it’s time to return for articling. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MinesAndMinerals said:

Also got a 1L position. Can confirm that the stress-free living will continue. I was actually stressed about not being stressed (which I’m picking up from your post as well). I also didn’t take my foot off the gas until second semester 2L but did equally as well with 1/4 of the effort that semester. In 3L I spent like maybe 20% my day doing LS-related stuff and tried hard to only do literally anything other than law school. It was really hard to see the point in toiling when the foreseeable future post-LS involved much toiling. My grades stayed the same. Re your first post and 1L piggybacking into 2L summer: my firm’s policy was basically PFO until it’s time to return for articling. 

That's amazing to hear. My firm said something similar, but I wasn't sure how literally to take it. You were also right about me being stressed about not being stressed. I've been feeling remotely guilty when I head home from the library at ten while my friends still camp out until 1 or 2 am. 

Just now, pzabbythesecond said:

What law school has people camping out in the library until 2am? That's crazy talk!

Oz. The gunners--they're real, and they're among us. The library closes at a reasonable time (10 pm), but people camp out in classrooms and common rooms afterwards 🤕

7 hours ago, FoG said:

Oz. The gunners--they're real, and they're among us. The library closes at a reasonable time (10 pm), but people camp out in classrooms and common rooms afterwards 🤕

All that means is that they lack natural aptitude for law. Don't feel guilty that you're going home earlier.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

What law school has people camping out in the library until 2am? That's crazy talk!

That happened when I was in law school, but those people didn't do particularly well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, FoG said:

My friends and I have never done this craziness and we all did extremely well. If you're in the library until 2am (outside of maybe the few weeks leading up to exams) you're doing something wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, FoG said:

I’m just going to confirm what the above folk said because lots of prospective students read this forum and get scared. There’s no reason to be studying late in law school, unless you’ve decided to fill 9am - 9pm with other things. Except for the week or two before exams, I can’t even imagine working till ten. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, healthlaw said:

My friends and I have never done this craziness and we all did extremely well. If you're in the library until 2am (outside of maybe the few weeks leading up to exams) you're doing something wrong

I can't imagine why anyone who is diligent throughout the semester would have to resort to that. Can't be efficient.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, AudreyBerry said:

I can't imagine why anyone who is diligent throughout the semester would have to resort to that. Can't be efficient.

I was a keener and literally read every assigned reading (and some supplementals) in 1L. Made my own summaries. Still never had to camp out in the library.  If these guys are camping out in the school in 2L/3L then I'm even more concerned. Then they're REALLY doing it wrong. LOL

@FoG Keep in mind that many of the people you see "grinding away" in the library are actually scrolling through IG and Fb every 10 mins and are wasting time. 

Edited by healthlaw
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, healthlaw said:

@FoG Keep in mind that many of the people you see "grinding away" in the library are actually scrolling through IG and Fb every 10 mins and are wasting time.

Ding ding ding!

(Though admittedly I'm guilty of this sometimes too, usually when I'm just too brain dead do keep going but pretend like I'm being productive).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, healthlaw said:

Yeah I was going to say this too. I've mostly broke the habit, but I used to stay up all night studying/working on assignments because I'd waste away hours procrastinating on Reddit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Yeah I was going to say this too. I've mostly broke the habit, but I used to stay up all night studying/working on assignments because I'd waste away hours procrastinating on Reddit.

Which is fine. We all do it. Look how many times I’ve posted here! Everyone procrastinates but only the trolls do so then walk around wearing  their 12 hour library sesh like a badge of honour (making their peers feel bad for not spending as much time ‘studying’)

• Like 1