Sign in to follow this  
chezjackie

Strategies for an articling student who wants to get hired back?

Would love to hear your advice. 

1) How to ensure hireback? What are good strategies? 

2) What is the hireback application process like? Interviews and cover letters involved? 

3) When do students typically find out that they will be hired back? 

Article in a growing practice that is critically short on lawyers. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eeee said:

Article in a growing practice that is critically short on lawyers. 

Do you mind sharing some examples of emerging fields? 

23 minutes ago, chezjackie said:

2) What is the hireback application process like? Interviews and cover letters involved? 

Let's try in reverse order.

3) in the spring.  Usually March-May or thereabouts.  Firms do want to be fair to their students and give them lots of notice, but there's usually lots on their plates at the start of the year and student hireback is not at the top of their list.

2) There is no process.  You've worked with these people for a number of months - there's nothing more that could be learned from an interview or a letter.  You will probably be asked verbally if you're interested in being hired back or not, then later on you'll just be told if you're being kept or not.

1) Few different areas to think about.  Obviously be likeable, collegial, willing to take on work.  Outside of your control, but yes you need to be in an area that needs junior associates - you can be the most outstanding articling student ever, but if there's no work for you to do, that's the end of the world.

I think it's also important that you have a mentor - a partner who is willing to go to bat for you.  It's one thing for the people around the table to say "Yeah, chezjackie is pretty good", than to have Partner X say "We absolutely need to hireback chezjackie".

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chezjackie said:

1.  There is no way to guarantee hireback. 

2.  My hireback process involved my principal walking into my office, asking what my plans were after getting called to the bar, followed by the fanciest 3 hour italian lunch I've ever had. 

3.  April

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chezjackie said:

1) You can’t ensure it and it shouldn’t be your biggest concern right now. Do good work, be easy to get along with, behave responsibly, show enthusiasm and initiative, schmooze the people you need to, and the rest is not up to you. So stop thinking about it right now. 

2) Depends on where you work - government may require applications and resumes but in private practice it is usually communicated to you informally.

3) Varies but usually a couple of months or so before Call, so April or May.

• Like 1

Best to view it as not just hireback, but also hiring generally. If you do good work and the lawyers like you but can't make the numbers work to bring you back they will usually reach out to their colleagues elsewhere to recommend you. 

So basically learn everything you can and do good work.

• Like 1

Do good work, do it promptly, and be well-liked.

That is how you maximize your odds of hire-back. It's not magic. If you're not hired back you'll at least get a good reference.

• Like 3