Sign in to follow this  
stripesaesthetic

Timeline for Holistic or Other Application Categories ?

Now that the first round seems to be over , how long do you think it will be before people in other categories start to hear back. When I called the faculty they told me that they would put me in either the Second Year Applicant category or in the Holistic category and that I would be notified at some point as to how they were looking at my application . Does anyone known when I might hear back , even if just for an update and not a definitive answer? 

I've heard from a friend who applied a last year that the holistic category isn't evaluated until late in the cycle near May or June. This is completely word-of-mouth, though, so I have no clue how accurate it is.

In the past 2 cycles, the holistic review began around May and waitlist notifications went out towards the end of May (25th/26th, something like that). They sent one or two emails over the summer before finally sending an email saying the class is full. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LadyOfLaw said:

I've heard that some holistic can go out as early as end of March?

That can’t be possible because first round offers are barely over by the end of March. There’s still a second round after that. There’s pretty solid agreement on the fact that U of A doesn’t even read personal statements (or atleast doesn’t take them into account at all) until they get to holistic admissions, which happens AFTER all the applicants who fall in the matrix are accepted. 

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have any experience with the Second Year Applicant category ? I think that's where they are going to put me since I'm still in Third Year. My stats would most likely have gotten me in in the Regular Category had I been in Fourth Year , considering the stats of the people who have been accepted . But I really don't know what to expect since the university hasn't told me anything

Edited by stripesaesthetic

1 hour ago, stripesaesthetic said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Second Year Applicant category ? I think that's where they are going to put me since I'm still in Third Year. My stats would most likely have gotten me in in the Regular Category had I been in Fourth Year , considering the stats of the people who have been accepted . But I really don't know what to expect since the university hasn't told me anything

From the UAlberta site:

In special circumstances the Committee will consider applications from applicants without a degree who have completed two years (60 credits), or equivalent, of a full program of studies that would be accepted for credit towards any degree at the University of Alberta. To be considered for admission in this manner, a candidate must demonstrate outstanding academic ability, which includes:

1. a minimum grade point average of 3.7 or its equivalent over the two years (60 credits) of study; and

2. an LSAT score which places the applicant in the 90th percentile of those who have taken the LSAT test.

An applicant in this category must also satisfy requirements 3-5 listed above.

Offers of Admission to two year applicants are conditional upon successful completion of enrolled credits.