Euroguy18

First round offers do not appear to be over.

I just scanned the UAlberta Faculty of Law website and it seems that, based on the info provided, the first round offers have not stopped. The website claims that the second round doesn't begin until the start of April. For the 2019 year, it says that first round offers keep going until March 31st. 

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/juris-doctor/admissions

This is a good sign for those of us still waiting. 

Best of luck guys! 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Euroguy18 said:

I just scanned the UAlberta Faculty of Law website and it seems that, based on the info provided, the first round offers have not stopped. The website claims that the second round doesn't begin until the start of April. For the 2019 year, it says that first round offers keep going until March 31st. 

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/juris-doctor/admissions

This is a good sign for those of us still waiting. 

Best of luck guys! 

Where does it say that?

I only see the following:

December 1 – March 1 First Round Offers
March 31 First Round Acceptance Deadline
  • Like 1

All i know is there's already been quite a few people accepted based on the accepted thread posts. No movement since march 2nd.

31 minutes ago, Grinder99 said:

All i know is there's already been quite a few people accepted based on the accepted thread posts. No movement since march 2nd.

By my count there are ~58 offers with ~9 confirmed or "near certain" declines represented in the accepted thread. So about 50 seats, give or take, are likely filled, but that's still less than a third of available seats. We can assume, of course, that this forum represents only a fraction of the applicants out there waiting, but even if we double that, there's still a good number of seats in play, for now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

By my count there are ~58 offers with ~9 confirmed or "near certain" declines represented in the accepted thread. So about 50 seats, give or take, are likely filled, but that's still less than a third of available seats. We can assume, of course, that this forum represents only a fraction of the applicants out there waiting, but even if we double that, there's still a good number of seats in play, for now.

I have no doubt there are more offers to come. I just had no clue how many. Thanks for putting things into perspective.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, FairEnough said:

Only around 10% ~ 15% admitted applicants would post on this forum.

So they may give out ~500 offers already (assume the yield rate is 30%).

Edited by NeverGiveUp

4 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

Where are these numbers coming from?

2 minutes ago, stqust said:

Where are these numbers coming from?

My guess - the second round will have less offers if you look into past acceptance thread.

I.e. Ottawa's offer rate is around 35% (they make close to 1000 offers for around 300 seats) so I guess UofA is probably similar (around 600 offers for 185 seats).

Just my guess so it is most likely not correct.

1 hour ago, NeverGiveUp said:

I thought this seemed low, but I looked at last year's accepted thread and there's only about 77 acceptances represented there (with about 5 hard declines) which is less than I originally thought. So I think you're probably right.

I guess it just kinda surprises me that there are hundreds of applicants out there who havn't sought out the only forum on the topic to actively torture themselves with while they wait to hear back...;)

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NeverGiveUp said:

My guess - the second round will have less offers if you look into past acceptance thread.

I.e. Ottawa's offer rate is around 35% (they make close to 1000 offers for around 300 seats) so I guess UofA is probably similar (around 600 offers for 185 seats).

Just my guess so it is most likely not correct.

The above was based on 1700 of the applicants which is incorrect.

Just found out Alberta usually receives around 1,200 applications each year for admission into first year.:

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/juris-doctor/admissions/faq

Based on that Alberta would send out around 420 or more offers in total.

Edited by NeverGiveUp
  • Thanks 1

I’m fairly confident first round offers are done, and that any acceptances that are trickling in are from people who actually declined their offers, thus opening up a seat prematurely.  Second round offers are typically more numerous and come in larger waves because March 31st is the deadline for first round offers and as such, many admitted applicants may simply ignore their acceptance instead of declining, even though they damn well should decline to speed the process up aha.  Don’t expect much movement throughout march aside from the sporadic acceptance coming in due to people actually declining the offer.  April will be when the next and last major wave of offers are sent out. 

• Like 2

I also wanted to add that although the January LSAT was accepted this year and might’ve pushed them back, as UofA looks solely at academic performance based around a matrix, they are most likely able to send out offers much quicker than say UofC which has a much larger application to go over for each applicant, hence why UofC’s offers will definitely be delayed this year, whereas UofA’s will most likely experience nothing more than a week, if that, of a delay.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I’m fairly confident first round offers are done, and that any acceptances that are trickling in are from people who actually declined their offers, thus opening up a seat prematurely.  Second round offers are typically more numerous and come in larger waves because March 31st is the deadline for first round offers and as such, many admitted applicants may simply ignore their acceptance instead of declining, even though they damn well should decline to speed the process up aha.  Don’t expect much movement throughout march aside from the sporadic acceptance coming in due to people actually declining the offer.  April will be when the next and last major wave of offers are sent out. 

This would account for the acceptances that occurred midmarch in the 2018 thread that I inquired about in an earlier post. A good judgment on your part.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I also wanted to add that although the January LSAT was accepted this year and might’ve pushed them back, as UofA looks solely at academic performance based around a matrix, they are most likely able to send out offers much quicker than say UofC which has a much larger application to go over for each applicant, hence why UofC’s offers will definitely be delayed this year, whereas UofA’s will most likely experience nothing more than a week, if that, of a delay.

They accepted February LSAT last year, right?

Comparing with that the whole process should be done earlier this year.

Edited by NeverGiveUp

7 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

I thought for previous years, December was the last lsat accepted, but I definitely could be wrong.  Also I’m pretty sure one of the UofC Admission officers even stated that UofC will be a bit slower this year due to them accepting the January lsat, as opposed to the December lsat being the last. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSaskConnection said:

I thought for previous years, December was the last lsat accepted, but I definitely could be wrong.  Also I’m pretty sure one of the UofC Admission officers even stated that UofC will be a bit slower this year due to them accepting the January lsat, as opposed to the December lsat being the last. 

They only accepted up to December last year. And I'm fairly certain that has been the norm for the past couple years. What happened this year was that LSAC decided to schedule an LSAT writing on the 26th of January. Since UAlberta claims that January is the latest date by which they'll accept an LSAT write for the incoming class of that year, they had to take it. I did my Undergrad at UAlberta and everytime I spoke to the admissions director as a prospective student it always seemed that December was really the last LSAT write they would take, since the following exam would usually take place in February -- well after their January deadline. 

Posted (edited)

I just spoke to them, and they said that the first round is basically complete and there'd only be a few offers rolling out this month. Next big wave will happen in April after the Mar. 31 acceptance deadline.

Edited by stqust
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, NeverGiveUp said:

February was not accepted last year. December was always the last write.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stqust said:

I just spoke to them, and they said that the first round is basically complete and there'd only be a few offers rolling out this month. Next big wave will happen in April after the Mar. 31 acceptance deadline.

Do you have any idea of what index score they are at right now? Based on the acceptance thread? 

Honestly, I'm not sure the index is applicable this year. In the last two weeks the index scores have ranged from 240-245, while there are others with index scores within that range or higher that have not been accepted. I understand that people would not necessarily be accepted highest to lowest based on the index we estimated, but if the first round is really over I would assume that those with the highest scores would be accepted some time during the first round.