LoneStarAB

Admissions Timeline- high GPA, low LSAT but other offer

Does anyone know when I would hear back about my status from UBC, wether it be offer, waitlist or rejection? 

I have an 87% GPA and a 155 LSAT

I've been accepted to another law school, but UBC is a top choice if I get in. 

Posted (edited)

Does your 87% include drops? If it does, you have an index of 90.68, which is too low for regular category admissions.  Congrats on the great GPA, though! 

Edited by Tagger

34 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Does your 87% include drops? If it does, you have an index of 90.68, which is too low for regular category admissions.  Congrats on the great GPA, though! 

I am always wondering how they convert letter to percentage. Do they calculate course by course, say, A=86 B=73   

Credit  Grade     percentile

Course 1      2          A              86

Course 2     1           B              73

Course 3     2          A               86

cGPA in percentage =(2*86+1*73+2*86)/(2+1+2)

or just convert the cGPA with drops to percentile? 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Franknku said:

I am always wondering how they convert letter to percentage. Do they calculate course by course, say, A=86 B=73   

Credit  Grade     percentile

Course 1      2          A              86

Course 2     1           B              73

Course 3     2          A               86

cGPA in percentage =(2*86+1*73+2*86)/(2+1+2)

or just convert the cGPA with drops to percentile? 

Take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that they calculate your GPA on a course-by-course basis unless your transcript contains percentages.

If your transcript contains:

• Percentage grades: they take those percentages at face value
  • Only letter grades: they convert those grades to the lowest corresponding percentage on the UBC scale. 

Not sure how it works for WES and American students, though. 

Edited by Tagger

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that they calculate your GPA on a course-by-course basis unless your transcript contains percentages. 

If your transcript contains:

• Percentage grades: they take those percentages at face value
  • Only letter grades: they convert those grades to the lowest corresponding percentage on the UBC scale. 

Thanks for your reply.

My transcript only contains A and B, which correspond to 4.0 and 3.0. I do not have any course with C (2.0), or D(1.0). According to JD brochure on their website http://www.allard.ubc.ca/sites/www.allard.ubc.ca/files/ubc-allardlawjdbrochurefinallow.pdf, "We use the same conversion scale used
by the UBC Registrar’s Office. On that scale,4.0 is an 86%, 3.7 is an 80%, 3.0 is a 73%, 2.0 is a 60%. " 

My cGPA with drops is 3.77

If they just convert the cGPA with drops, mine would be ~81%

If it is course-by-course conversion, my cGPA would be ~83.1% . 

I just sent the admission office to confirm my cGPA. My LSAT is 164, and I applied through the discretionary category.

Edited by Franknku

On 3/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, LoneStarAB said:

Does anyone know when I would hear back about my status from UBC, wether it be offer, waitlist or rejection? 

I have an 87% GPA and a 155 LSAT

I've been accepted to another law school, but UBC is a top choice if I get in. 

UBC probably wont offer, if they do, till late summer with those stats. You will likely be waitlisted. Accept the other school and if you are really set on UBC, you will have to forfeit the deposit from that other school. 

I agree with this

12 minutes ago, ProjectSanderz52 said:

UBC probably wont offer, if they do, till late summer with those stats. You will likely be waitlisted. Accept the other school and if you are really set on UBC, you will have to forfeit the deposit from that other school. 

I have similar stats and UBC/Uvic are my top choices. I am going to accept my other offer and wait to see if I get into one of these schools later in the cycle. I'd suggest you do the same, losing the deposit will suck but definitely worth it to me.

4 hours ago, KJR said:

I agree with this

I have similar stats and UBC/Uvic are my top choices. I am going to accept my other offer and wait to see if I get into one of these schools later in the cycle. I'd suggest you do the same, losing the deposit will suck but definitely worth it to me.

If you apply in the  discretionary category, you probably will be informed in late May. 

Yeah, I was waitlisted last year and was waitlisted early in May - maybe late April I dont remember exactly. The deposit for my current offer is due March 31st so I'm unlikely to hear from UBC or Uvic by then. So I will be securing my spot and hoping I make it off the waitlist at a BC school.

57 minutes ago, KJR said:

Yeah, I was waitlisted last year and was waitlisted early in May - maybe late April I dont remember exactly. The deposit for my current offer is due March 31st so I'm unlikely to hear from UBC or Uvic by then. So I will be securing my spot and hoping I make it off the waitlist at a BC school.

hope to see you in UBC

By the way, how much does a law school generally charge for deposit? 

3 hours ago, Franknku said:

By the way, how much does a law school generally charge for deposit? 

Ranges from 600-300 from what I’ve seen. $500 for UBC, $300 for Uvic, and the rest of Canada falls somewhere in between