Jump to content
fira17

2019 Chances L2 3.65 LSAT 156

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, 

Trying to figure out a plan to start studying for LSAT again but thought I’d see if anyone could provide insight into my chances for this year. I’ve been waitlisted at U of A on my GPA & 154 lsat for the last 2 admission cycles. 

L2 3.65, cgpa 3.5, LSAT 154 & 156 

Business degree (BLaw minor - did really well), lots of different ECs, decent amount of awards & scholarships throughout undergrad, strong references (highly esteemed faculty members who know me well), statement of intent tailored towards Calgary, worked throughout undergrad (had 2 jobs for a good chunk of it). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As UofC is a holistic school, it’s tough to gauge someone’s chances.  Even with the information you posted it’s difficult to predict your chances.  I will say this though, I do not think your academic stats and LSAT will get you rejected, however they won’t necessarily get you in either if you know what I’m saying. Best of luck in the process nonetheless from a fellow applicant.  

 

Edit: I wanted to add that it’ll ultimately come down to how the admissions committee views your personal statement, LoRs, and ECs, something which I can’t comment on how they’ll be viewed, furthermore even offering my own opinion would be useless as my opinion of your softs has absolutely zero bearing on your application for the UofC. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya I totally see what you’re saying! The majority of factors considered in a holistic admissions process are so hard for anyone to comment on. Let alone the fact that we can’t speculate on what all the other applicants have going for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got in with similar cGPA, but 159 LSAT. I also have a lot of diverse and maintained ECs, but alright LoRs - nothing from crazy powerful influential people, just my professors and co-op supervisor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlpacaWhisperer said:

I got in with similar cGPA, but 159 LSAT. I also have a lot of diverse and maintained ECs, but alright LoRs - nothing from crazy powerful influential people, just my professors and co-op supervisor. 

Congrats on your acceptance !! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you try TRU or any holistic school of the sort. It sounds like you got good softs. Don't get me wrong your stats aren't subpar it's just these schools are so competitive. If the prestige of the school is your concern, you can always transfer after L1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention, i'm not saying you don't stand a chance at this school. But i think you'd stand a good chance of admission at other holistic schools. If you don't get in and are thinking of applying next cycle with similar stats.

I applied to TRU last year with a 3.66 L90 and a 153 lsat and got waitlisted and ultimately rejected. But I had very subpar softs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, Grinder99 said:

Why don't you try TRU or any holistic school of the sort. It sounds like you got good softs. Don't get me wrong your stats aren't subpar it's just these schools are so competitive. If the prestige of the school is your concern, you can always transfer after L1. 

Thanks for the advice, what you’ve said is definitely true !! However, I would ultimately prefer to go to school in AB and if I don’t get in this year, I’ll rewrite the LSAT because I don’t want to be in the same position again next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fira17 said:

 

Thanks for the advice, what you’ve said is definitely true !! However, I would ultimately prefer to go to school in AB and if I don’t get in this year, I’ll rewrite the LSAT because I don’t want to be in the same position again next year.  

Definitely, if you think you can get a higher lsat you should re-write. Best of luck. I actually got rejected at U of C today. I figure it's for two reasons:

1)I won't have a degree at the end of this term. On the site it says "98 percent of successful applicants have completed a degree". This is probably the single biggest reason.

2)I have no extra-curricular experience at all.

If I don't get in anywhere this cycle I'll for one finish my degree which is an essential for certain schools, I will work on my softs, and I might rewrite the LSAT. I range from 153 to 158 on practice tests. 

If you haven't been rejected yet maybe you'll get in. Goodluck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grinder99 said:

Definitely, if you think you can get a higher lsat you should re-write. Best of luck. I actually got rejected at U of C today. I figure it's for two reasons:

1)I won't have a degree at the end of this term. On the site it says "98 percent of successful applicants have completed a degree". This is probably the single biggest reason.

2)I have no extra-curricular experience at all.

If I don't get in anywhere this cycle I'll for one finish my degree which is an essential for certain schools, I will work on my softs, and I might rewrite the LSAT. I range from 153 to 158 on practice tests. 

If you haven't been rejected yet maybe you'll get in. Goodluck.

 

 

Gonna be blunt with you, but I have never seen someone accepted to UofC with zero extra curricular experience, people with 3.7< and 160< get rejected from UofC every year for what I assume is a weak application beyond academic stats. You’re best bet is to stick to the matrix schools UofA/UBC/UVIC etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheSaskConnection said:

Gonna be blunt with you, but I have never seen someone accepted to UofC with zero extra curricular experience, people with 3.7< and 160< get rejected from UofC every year for what I assume is a weak application beyond academic stats. You’re best bet is to stick to the matrix schools UofA/UBC/UVIC etc

Thanks. No worries, I'd rather know my chances were slim then be oblivious and waste money. Yeah, I think that's the last time I will apply to of U of C. But I might work on my softs for a school like TRU and it's just good to finish your degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Grinder99 said:

Thanks. No worries, I'd rather know my chances were slim then be oblivious and waste money. Yeah, I think that's the last time I will apply to of U of C. But I might work on my softs for a school like TRU and it's just good to finish your degree.

ECs don’t have to be anything fancy for the UofC, at least I hope not, but just working somewhere and/or volunteering somewhere is helpful, and scholarships I’m sure help out to, but yea if you’re lacking in that department I’d save the money and stick to the schools mentioned, as UofA doesn’t even ask for anything beyond a personal statement that they supposedly don’t even read till like May... way after most offers have already been sent out 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Grinder99 said:

Definitely, if you think you can get a higher lsat you should re-write. Best of luck. I actually got rejected at U of C today. I figure it's for two reasons:

1)I won't have a degree at the end of this term. On the site it says "98 percent of successful applicants have completed a degree". This is probably the single biggest reason.

2)I have no extra-curricular experience at all.

If I don't get in anywhere this cycle I'll for one finish my degree which is an essential for certain schools, I will work on my softs, and I might rewrite the LSAT. I range from 153 to 158 on practice tests. 

If you haven't been rejected yet maybe you'll get in. Goodluck.

 

 

It’s awesome that you pinpointed some reasons for why you may not have been accepted. I, too, think that not having completed your degree is a HUGE factor. Not just for U of C, but for a lot of other schools. I’m not sure which year you’re in, but a lot of schools actually even have minimum requirements in place if you’re applying after only having completed 2 years of uni (I remember U of A required applicants to have a GPA of atleast 3.7 and an LSAT score in the 90th percentile but they’d still flat out say that it’s better for your application if you complete your degree). Regardless, good on you for applying even before you’ve graduated :) 

Completely agree with SaskConnection about ECs. Even if you have your degree, you should definitely participate in some extracurricular activities (which it sounds like you’re already planning to do!). Those ECs are going to be crucial to your applications for holistic schools. If you’re going to focus on matrix type schools, your ECs will still be important because you may end up in the holistic review category (saying this based on your current L2 and current PT scores). Like you’ve noticed, I’ve been waitlisted at U of A with pretty much your exact stats and my only saving grace would be the fact that I have a lot of EC involvement. Hopefully we’ll both be able to improve our LSAT score susbtantially and not have to worry about landing in the waitlisted category again :) 

Edited by fira17
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fira17 said:

It’s awesome that you pinpointed some reasons for why you may not have been accepted. I, too, think that not having completed your degree is a HUGE factor. Not just for U of C, but for a lot of other schools. I’m not sure which year you’re in, but a lot of schools actually even have minimum requirements in place if you’re applying after only having completed 2 years of uni (I remember U of A required applicants to have a GPA of atleast 3.7 and an LSAT score in the 90th percentile but they’d still flat out say that it’s better for your application if you complete your degree). Regardless, good on you for applying even before you’ve graduated :) 

Completely agree with SaskConnection about ECs. Even if you have your degree, you should definitely participate in some extracurricular activities (which it sounds like you’re already planning to do!). Those ECs are going to be crucial to your applications for holistic schools. If you’re going to focus on matrix type schools, your ECs will still be important because you may end up in the holistic review category (saying this based on your current L2 and current PT scores). Like you’ve noticed, I’ve been waitlisted at U of A with pretty much your exact stats and my only saving grace would be the fact that I have a lot of EC involvement. Hopefully we’ll both be able to improve our LSAT score susbtantially and not have to worry about landing in the waitlisted category again :) 

Yeah, I will have a full four years of courses after this term but I haven't fulfilled the requirements for the degree. I need to go back for a full term and then a half course load term to get the 400 level requirement. U of A isn't so big on whether you have completed a degree. Some schools are and others aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Recent Posts

    • Hey,  I'm moving from BC. I found a place through Kijiji. I had just been scanning the ads regularly. I was going to rent an extra month in July just to secure a place but ended up finding one that started mid August. So my suggestion is keep an eye out there. Also avoid Marda. They were awful and rude when I spoke with them.  As for course enrollment I believe we dont have to first year. I'm under the impression we get registered by the school. I could be wrong but when I was reading the handbook for the MSW/JD program that's what I got from it. I know you can check your uwinsite and at the top where it says applicant click it should drop down and there should be a student option if your account is activated. Mine is not yet. Not sure if others are.  We will also be receiving a welcome package in the beginning of August through mail with more info I believe. 
    • Just to dispel this myth, it isn't really true. Certain fields of law and practices, absolutely. But you can definitely work in Montreal being an Anglo with limited French.
    • Depends on the prof and time of year. Some profs are more helpful than others and some times of year they are busier than others. Some of them don't set rigid office hours but are easily available by appointment. During midterms/exams, office hours will invariably be busier than usual, but still easy to get in to. I find that the best way to have a productive conversation during office hours is to ensure I have compiled clear, narrow questions. It facilitates much more directed conversations and professors tend to be happier to help students who appear to be making efforts to learn rather than simply coming to them asking to be taught the entire course material. For example, I would not go to office hours simply asking for them to explain a topic. I would read about the topic, develop questions I had about it and go to them for clarification/discussion on specific issues I had.
    • I'm in the same boat as you with no hire-back from a public sector organization that would have hired me back if it had the budget (and due to recent budget cuts, it does not). I've applied to about 15 organizations for any positions asking between 0-2 to years of experience since mid April, with the most being at the beginning of May. I've heard back from four so far for interviews. The average response time has been about 1 month from the public sector, and about 2-weeks from the private sector.  I'm in the same situation as you, in that my area of law is niche administrative (municipal and planning) and so I have only been applying to public sector organizations and boutiques in that area.  I've actually had the most success applying outside of Ontario in Alberta. Have you considered relocation? I think it might be the most realistic option given the change of government in Ontario, although, its a financial hit. Good luck!
×
×
  • Create New...