Loshave

Planning to apply in 2020, need some thoughts!

My understanding at the U of A and U of C is that they both consider only L2 grades which would be the last 20 classes. This would count summer and spring courses correct?

I plan on a completed 5 course load in:

• 2nd year winter sem
  • 3rd year fall sem and winter sem
  • 4th year fall sem

I also have 2 courses done in my 2nd year spring semester.

My problem is that my 2nd year winter semester GPA is terrible. My estimated L2 would be at around a 3.55 to 3.65. My estimated LSAT scoring from practice tests are 162-165 range (I don't know if gauging from practice tests is acceptable though), which I plan on taking in July 15th.

Would I be better off taking 2 more courses in the spring and 1 in the summer to complete a spring and summer combination of 5 courses to completely remove the 2nd year winter semester marks being considered? This would drastically increase my estimated GPA at around 3.85-3.95. Or would I be better off saving the time to prepare more on the LSAT and be fine with a score higher than 160 with the low GPA of around 3.6.

Has anyone done this before? At this point I have used all my 100 courses acceptable for my science degree, even if these 100 level courses don't count to my degree, they would still be acceptable to count towards my L2 GPA correct?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. Best of luck for those waiting to get in this year, hopefully I can meet you the year after!

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure about the UofA, but I know that the UofC will consider undergrad-level courses taken after your degree; they actually recommend doing so if you want to raise your GPA.

You can check their GPA FAQ about halfway down the page here: https://law.ucalgary.ca/future-students/how-to-apply/assessment-of-applications

EDIT - Okay, I found it on the UofA's site as well:

"Will you count courses completed after a degree?

Courses that are transferable to the U of A, completed as a "special student" or "unclassified student", will be used in the admission GPA, so long as they are not introductory level courses."

From https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/juris-doctor/admissions/faq#PostDegreeCourses

In other words, you'll be okay to take 100-level courses to boost your GPA for the UofC, but you'll have to take something at a higher level for the UofA.

Edited by RGoodfellow

10 hours ago, RGoodfellow said:

"Will you count courses completed after a degree?

Courses that are transferable to the U of A, completed as a "special student" or "unclassified student", will be used in the admission GPA, so long as they are not introductory level courses."

I have actually not completed my degree yet. I am still fine to take 100 level courses for the U of A, correct? This rule only applies if I complete my degree and take more courses after?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Loshave said:

My understanding at the U of A and U of C is that they both consider only L2 grades which would be the last 20 classes. This would count summer and spring courses correct?

I plan on a completed 5 course load in:

• 2nd year winter sem
  • 3rd year fall sem and winter sem
  • 4th year fall sem

I also have 2 courses done in my 2nd year spring semester.

My problem is that my 2nd year winter semester GPA is terrible. My estimated L2 would be at around a 3.55 to 3.65. My estimated LSAT scoring from practice tests are 162-165 range (I don't know if gauging from practice tests is acceptable though), which I plan on taking in July 15th.

Would I be better off taking 2 more courses in the spring and 1 in the summer to complete a spring and summer combination of 5 courses to completely remove the 2nd year winter semester marks being considered? This would drastically increase my estimated GPA at around 3.85-3.95. Or would I be better off saving the time to prepare more on the LSAT and be fine with a score higher than 160 with the low GPA of around 3.6.

Has anyone done this before? At this point I have used all my 100 courses acceptable for my science degree, even if these 100 level courses don't count to my degree, they would still be acceptable to count towards my L2 GPA correct?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. Best of luck for those waiting to get in this year, hopefully I can meet you the year after!

I would take the extra courses to boost your GPA. As far as the practice tests though, I am under the impression (assuming you are taking the real LSAC practice tests) that you will probably score close to your practice test scores. Send me a pm if you wanna chat more!