forrestgumpjr

Scholarships/Bursaries for 1L

Hey guys,

Any idea on how common it is for incoming 1L students to be accepted for scholarships/bursaries? I understand most are based on circumstance, so for that sake I am a white male from a lower-middle class family living in a single-parent household.

I'd appreciate any help on this matter!

Hey! Even after I recieved OSAP, I was able to get a scholarship in both my first and second year for $5000 each. In the beginning of the school year just apply to every single scholarship (including the ones you have to write essays for, those are the ones people usually don't apply to). 

Also, not sure if you know about the entrance bursaries the faculty gives out (even in 2L). I think it's 2000 in 1L and 1500 in 2L. 

P.S. I also come from a single-parent household with a low-middle income :)

5 hours ago, girl416 said:

Hey! Even after I recieved OSAP, I was able to get a scholarship in both my first and second year for $5000 each. In the beginning of the school year just apply to every single scholarship (including the ones you have to write essays for, those are the ones people usually don't apply to). 

Also, not sure if you know about the entrance bursaries the faculty gives out (even in 2L). I think it's 2000 in 1L and 1500 in 2L. 

Do those bursaries apply to everyone or is there a form to fill out? Do you have to be below a certain income bar? Are they similar to OSAP where 5 years out they do not consider any parental earnings or do those still factor in?

8 hours ago, girl416 said:

Would you mind linking the University page about those entrance bursaries? Your help is appreciated :) 

3 hours ago, LegalQueen96 said:

Do those bursaries apply to everyone or is there a form to fill out? Do you have to be below a certain income bar? Are they similar to OSAP where 5 years out they do not consider any parental earnings or do those still factor in?

There are lots of different scholarships, including merit and need based. I am sure you will qualify for at least 10-20 of them, don't stress! 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, throwaway1001 said:

Would you mind linking the University page about those entrance bursaries? Your help is appreciated :) 

I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I know it exists though. 

I also found this: https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/financial-aid-bursaries/scholarships-bursaries/admissions-scholarships-english-jd-program 

Looks like these admission scholarships are due May 1st! 

Edited by girl416

2 hours ago, girl416 said:

I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. I know it exists though. 

I also found this: https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/financial-aid-bursaries/scholarships-bursaries/admissions-scholarships-english-jd-program 

Looks like these admission scholarships are due May 1st! 

The reason I ask is because I also cant find that information on the scholarship page :) (In regards to the guaranteed scholarships)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LegalQueen96 said:

If you qualify for OSAP (even a minimal amount) you automatically get the tuition bursaries. In my day it was $1500 for 1L and $1000 for 2L and 3L - they may have gone up. 

Anything you apply for is over and above that amount. The majority of applications for funding (bursary or scholarship) at Ottawa U require that you first qualify for OSAP. 

Edited by TheScientist101

What about people who are from out of province and therefore don't qualify for OSAP? I will be applying to my province's student loan program, but I wonder where that puts me for funding from the university?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CrystalClear said:

What about people who are from out of province and therefore don't qualify for OSAP? I will be applying to my province's student loan program, but I wonder where that puts me for funding from the university?

This will disqualify you for many of Ottawa's scholarships (including the one offered to students in the top 10% of the class).

Many of Ottawa's scholarships are offered through an Ontario program where the province matches the money put up by the donor; catch is, only Ontario residents qualify. 

Edited by easttowest

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, TheScientist101 said:

If you qualify for OSAP (even a minimal amount) you automatically get the tuition bursaries. In my day it was $1500 for 1L and $1000 for 2L and 3L - they may have gone up. 

Anything you apply for is over and above that amount. The majority of applications for funding (bursary or scholarship) at Ottawa U require that you first qualify for OSAP. 

This is no longer true, sadly. They got rid of it this year. I think there are more scholarships offered to make up for it, but it's no longer automatic.

Edited by chaboywb

On 3/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, TheScientist101 said:

This is not true.

I qualified and received OSAP, yet was rejected for all tuition bursaries. I can only assume it was because of my common law partner’s income. 

11 hours ago, Progress12345 said:

This is not true.

I qualified and received OSAP, yet was rejected for all tuition bursaries. I can only assume it was because of my common law partner’s income. 

Yeah.... apparently they changed this after I had graduated. It used to be the case but I guess no longer.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:05 PM, chaboywb said:

This is no longer true, sadly. They got rid of it this year. I think there are more scholarships offered to make up for it, but it's no longer automatic.

Does this mean that there are no automatic bursaries? All financial awards you'd have to apply for? You don't automatically qualify for any anymore?

On 3/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, LegalQueen96 said:

Does this mean that there are no automatic bursaries? All financial awards you'd have to apply for? You don't automatically qualify for any anymore?

You automatically qualify for all the financial awards, but you don't automatically get a $1500 bursary like you used to. Lots of people seem to have gotten at least one of them though, which I'm assuming are given out at random. 

• Thanks 1