Sign in to follow this  
beepboop

Retaking the LSAT... again. tips? study programs?

hey guys, I just took the LSAT in January and didn't get the score I wanted/needed and I'm planning on writing it again in September.

I'm wanting to apply to schools this upcoming fall. my first two years of undergrad aren't that amazing, so I'm aiming at schools that do drops or look at L2 like robson, U of C, Uvic, therefore I want a good, competitive lsat score to help pick up the slack

Does anyone have any good study tips?

or have taken online courses like 7sage, lsatmax, and your experience with it?

all comments are appreciated, thanks!! :)

What all have you tried already?

I got great use out of the Khan Academy's free LSAT prep, and I picked up the PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible as a supplement since that was my biggest weakness. Khan Academy is great but they don't have a huge selection of questions so if you're really struggling on a certain section then the same questions start to pop up and it gets to the point where you've memorized the answers, and that's not helpful at all.

I liked the PowerScore book because it not only explained how to work through a problem, but explained how the LSAT test makers structure questions and the best strategies to recognize a certain kind of question and quickly find the answer that they're looking for.

You'll likely have to give more information on what you scored vs. what you want. Tips would likely range drastically if you needed 2 points vs 9.

19 hours ago, beepboop said:

hey guys, I just took the LSAT in January and didn't get the score I wanted/needed and I'm planning on writing it again in September.

I'm wanting to apply to schools this upcoming fall. my first two years of undergrad aren't that amazing, so I'm aiming at schools that do drops or look at L2 like robson, U of C, Uvic, therefore I want a good, competitive lsat score to help pick up the slack

I honestly found private tutoring either in person or over skype very helpful, I found it so much easier to understand and learn to map out games with real-time direction. It is expensive and may not be realistic or helpful to everyone but for me, it made the world of difference. 

My one general study tip would be to not burn yourself out studying the same stuff over and over. Quality studying over quantity of studying, especially if you are waiting until September to write again. Depending on if you are running out of time or just missing the points on questions you will require different skill development. If you elaborate on your score as @SlickRick suggested as well as post what sections you struggle with most and how you struggle people will be able to give you better advice. 

@RGoodfellowI worked through the kaplan book for my first test, and then used the khan academy online prep program as well! I've worked through the practice tests of 71 and up, and I was scoring mid-high 150's for the tests especially leading up to the test. 

@SlickRick @ConcernedApplicant I got 147 my first try and then 149 my second, which I was disappointed because as I stated above I was scoring higher in practice. I'm wanting to get at least a 160, and from posts I have seen on here it has been done.  I have improved my timing on sections being able to complete or almost complete each section. just not sure what is not clicking, and want to change my approach to how I'm studying. I struggle with RC, and my best section is LG where I score usually 20-23/23, LR is moderate but I would like to improve since it is marked twice

I definitely felt burnt out a couple weeks before the test, and thats one of the reasons I want to give myself a bit of time before I start to prep again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beepboop said:

@RGoodfellowI worked through the kaplan book for my first test, and then used the khan academy online prep program as well! I've worked through the practice tests of 71 and up, and I was scoring mid-high 150's for the tests especially leading up to the test. 

@SlickRick @ConcernedApplicant I got 147 my first try and then 149 my second, which I was disappointed because as I stated above I was scoring higher in practice. I'm wanting to get at least a 160, and from posts I have seen on here it has been done.  I have improved my timing on sections being able to complete or almost complete each section. just not sure what is not clicking, and want to change my approach to how I'm studying. I struggle with RC, and my best section is LG where I score usually 20-23/23, LR is moderate but I would like to improve since it is marked twice

I definitely felt burnt out a couple weeks before the test, and thats one of the reasons I want to give myself a bit of time before I start to prep again

Not sure if you considered this but UNB also drops the lowest 25% of your grades so that could be another option for you as well. I did 7sage and private tutoring and I definitely agree with the above post that private tutoring was really helpful. 7sage was solid for teaching me the basics and really good for games, but my tutor helped me make that jump. I started with the exact same mark as you on my first try so I know where you're starting from!

hope this helps 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Majd3 said:

I have improved my timing on sections being able to complete or almost complete each section. just not sure what is not clicking, and want to change my approach to how I'm studying. I struggle with RC, and my best section is LG where I score usually 20-23/23, LR is moderate but I would like to improve since it is marked twice

This is exactly how my score broke down while I was studying. I was almost perfect or close to it on LG, decent at LR (usually -3 to -5) and like -10 (17/27) on RC. I got 162 on my first try at the actual test even though I was PTing slightly higher. I took a month off studying, had two sessions with a tutor to work on my RC and go through questions with him slowly and get a better approach, then took the January test and got 166 which I'm pretty sure my improvement came completely from RC (hard to say because the test was undisclosed). The tutor I used was over skype and based out of Toronto and he was fantastic (charged $60 an hour but I think it was worth it) and they provided me with all kinds of sample questions that I needed. 

21 hours ago, beepboop said:

my first two years of undergrad aren't that amazing

This is totally the same boat I am in at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it too much, work hard on improving your L2 and you will have a great shot at plenty of schools if you can improve your LSAT. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:22 PM, beepboop said:

Try studying one section at a time? LG > LR > RC. Focus on foolproofing the games first with 7Sage  videos and then try The LSAT Trainer or Manhattan for LR/RC. 

After each test/section, spend a lot of time reviewing your mistakes and even consider writing them down somewhere to look back to for a quick review.