Sign in to follow this  
Legaleager

Mature applicant LSAT 149, GPA 4.0

Hi everyone,

I am a mature applicant for UofA JD 2019 program. I blew up my LSAT when I felt super anxious at the test (149). Luckily I have a high GPA. I am an Engineer with a decade of working experience. I tried to explain this in my application. The statistics for UofA law says the min LSAT was 150, does anyone think I have a chance for this year? 

If the GPA is confirmed, you have a shot (50-50?). Where did you do your undergrad, and are grades shown as % or letters on your transcript?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Legaleager said:

Hi everyone,

I am a mature applicant for UofA JD 2019 program. I blew up my LSAT when I felt super anxious at the test (149). Luckily I have a high GPA. I am an Engineer with a decade of working experience. I tried to explain this in my application. The statistics for UofA law says the min LSAT was 150, does anyone think I have a chance for this year? 

Alberta says:

Depending upon the number of evaluations, at any time in the admissions cycle the Admissions Committee may set a minimum GPA and LSAT required for a Regular Applicant file to be considered.

If they set a minimum LSAT 149 this cycle you will get in as a Regular Applicant.

If not you may get in from their holistic review.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you happen to have a 4.0, that means your index is a 239 which is lower than previous years have been accepted at. Either you’ll be waitlisted, or get in with a holistic review, but don’t count on the holistic review going your way, I feel that UofA’s holistic review is even more mysterious than UofC’s. If you don’t get in for the upcoming year I would strongly encourage you to register for the upcoming July LSAT which will be the only LSAT where you’ll be able to see your score and then decide if you want to keep it or cancel it and not have it added to your profile (it’ll be like you never wrote it)... crazy I know.  UofA averages LSAT scores, so if you were even able to get a 153 on another LSAT your average would be a 151 and with a 4.0 your index is a 241, which is a much stronger index score. All the best regardless. 

Edit: didn’t read title. My bad. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NeverGiveUp said:

UofA did accept people with lower than 239 index in general category:

https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/50938-accepted-to-alberta-2018/?page=8

L2: 3.5, LSAT 160, Index score: 238.75

UofA rounds to the second decimal point, so that persons 3.5 could have been a 3.58/3.59 for all we know. In which case his index would be above a 240. I have a 240.4ish index and I’m not confident I’ll get in, I hope for both our sakes you get in, unfortunately we won’t know till we know. I’ve already prepared myself (emotionally speaking) that I’ll probably write the upcoming July lsat to boost my index.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

UofA rounds to the second decimal point, so that persons 3.5 could have been a 3.58/3.59 for all we know. In which case his index would be above a 240. I have a 240.4ish index and I’m not confident I’ll get in, I hope for both our sakes you get in, unfortunately we won’t know till we know. I’ve already prepared myself (emotionally speaking) that I’ll probably write the upcoming July lsat to boost my index.

Wouldn't a 3.55 round to a 3.6 on the chart?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stqust said:

Wouldn't a 3.55 round to a 3.6 on the chart?

It’s to my understanding that on the chart they do not round up, I.e. a 3.51 and a 3.59 would both fall under the 3.5 row. But who knows I’ve never asked them officially, just what I’ve seen on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TheSaskConnection said:

You will get in.

Thanks and good luck to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, everyone. I appreciate all your feedback. I am anxiously waiting for the result. Good luck to everyone!

On 2/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, TheSaskConnection said:

If you happen to have a 4.0, that means your index is a 239 which is lower than previous years have been accepted at. Either you’ll be waitlisted, or get in with a holistic review, but don’t count on the holistic review going your way, I feel that UofA’s holistic review is even more mysterious than UofC’s. If you don’t get in for the upcoming year I would strongly encourage you to register for the upcoming July LSAT which will be the only LSAT where you’ll be able to see your score and then decide if you want to keep it or cancel it and not have it added to your profile (it’ll be like you never wrote it)... crazy I know.  UofA averages LSAT scores, so if you were even able to get a 153 on another LSAT your average would be a 151 and with a 4.0 your index is a 241, which is a much stronger index score. All the best regardless. 

Edit: didn’t read title. My bad. 

This is so interesting... where did you find this out about the July 2019 LSAT?
I'm not asking b/c I doubt you but rather I just really want to make 100% sure this is accurate.. without having to call LSAC myself (lol).
Do you have a link to a page or place you saw this info that says we can see our July 2019 score & then cancel it?

5 minutes ago, princesa said:

I'm not asking b/c I doubt you but rather I just really want to make 100% sure this is accurate.. without having to call LSAC myself (lol).
Do you have a link to a page or place you saw this info that says we can see our July 2019 score & then cancel it?

https://www.lsac.org/about/news/lsac-announces-digital-lsat-launch-schedule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I'm not sure at all, and I don't have much insight as to admissions. But I encourage you in applying to law school and am confident you can do it! I would love if there were more engineers and mature students in law school to encourage new perspectives.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, princesa said:

To ease the transition, LSAC is also offering July test takers a special option: regardless of format, July test takers will have the opportunity to see their score before they decide whether they wish to cancel it. Those who decide to cancel can choose to retake the test again through April 2020 free of charge.”

https://www.lsac.org/about/news/lsac-announces-digital-lsat-launch-schedule

edit: I forgot to add that it’s important to note that you will not know which format of the LSAT you will be given until the moment of administration for the exam, therefore it’s a bit of a risk as you may be given a digital lsat or pencil and paper format. 

Edited by TheSaskConnection
  • Thanks 1