Mycousinsteve

Baby Lawyer - Advise

Freshly called lawyer in the GTA. Recently started my first official associate position a couple weeks ago. Any and all job-specific advise and general career advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rulemaking is delegated to a huge number of authorities. Check the statute and the regs before you come to an opinion.

• Like 5

This will seem petty but I swear it isn’t: it’s “advice.”.

Advice is a noun. You want advice. Give me advice. Inviting advice. It is pronounced exactly as it is spelled  

Advise is a verb. I advise you to wait. You advise action. Advise me. It is pronounced as if the “s” were a “z”.

It is a very very common mistake but as a new lawyer you need to know the difference.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

It's right in the thread title, and wrong in the content...

54 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

This will seem petty but I swear it isn’t: it’s “advice.”.

Advice is a noun. You want advice. Give me advice. Inviting advice. It is pronounced exactly as it is spelled  

Advise is a verb. I advise you to wait. You advise action. Advise me. It is pronounced as if the “s” were a “z”.

It is a very very common mistake but as a new lawyer you need to know the difference.

Could have saved myself with “would appreciate your advice. Please advise.”

• Haha 2

Get used to searching comprehensively for an answer before giving up or asking other lawyers for help. People want to see you've at least tried before giving you the answer.

On a totally unrelated side note, there are dozens of threads on tips for new lawyers that should probably be read.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sarstan said:

Baby Lawyer sounds like a really bad movie starring the Rock as the part-time dad of Baby Lawyer who gets looped in to helping Baby Lawyer take on a big bad pharmaceutical company all the way to SCOTUS and along the way learns the true meaning of fatherhood. 

Or:

”My five year old has always been precocious but he just recently aced the LSAT and can’t stop talking about which law schools he’s applying to. LS.ca, I’m concerned that he’s making all the wrong life choices. Can you please help a struggling parent with his baby lawyer?”

• Like 2

"Baby Lawyer"

I thought that was a new area of law practice....

got me excited for a second

Edited by law4sho
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, law4sho said:

"Baby Lawyer"

I thought that was a new area of law practice....

got me excited for a second

Specializing in complex corporate commercial transactional litigation vis a vis he put his booger on me so I pooped myself. 

I used to call myself a "baby call"... then I realized that it's not exactly true anymore and stopped. :( 

My general advice is.... go to all decent and applicable CPD as you can (that your employer will pay for). You're new so if you ask very basic questions it is relatively still acceptable.

• Like 1

You're not a baby lawyer, you're a lawyer. You have serious responsibilities to your clients and to the court, justice system, any other system you're working within, etc. Be aware of your limitations and abilities, but never forget that being a recent call or referring to yourself as an infant won't make a problem with LawPro any easier to deal with. It's good that you're aware of your limitations early on, but you also have to be mindful that if you take something on, you're responsible for it full stop now. 

• Like 5

Please - for your own good - stop with with the cutesy names - baby call, baby lawyer etc. You completely undermine your credibility and seem insecure. Step into your position and own it. 

• Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, Realtalk said:

Please - for your own good - stop with with the cutesy names - baby call, baby lawyer etc. You completely undermine your credibility and seem insecure. Step into your position and own it. 

It’s a commonly used colloquial term, get off your high horse.

• Like 6

You have to be very careful about how you conduct yourself in this profession. The OP has worked incredibly hard to get where they are! No need to undermine that with childish names. 

15 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

You have to be very careful about how you conduct yourself in this profession. The OP has worked incredibly hard to get where they are! No need to undermine that with childish names. 

I doubt OP (or anyone else) walks around using the term "Baby lawyer" in front of clients, judges, opposing counsels or more senior lawyers. I'm confident he's aware when it's appropriate to use that term and when it's not, and I don't see the big deal in using it on an anonymous online forum like this one.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Girona said:

I doubt OP (or anyone else) walks around using the term "Baby lawyer" in front of clients, judges, opposing counsels or more senior lawyers. I'm confident he's aware when it's appropriate to use that term and when it's not, and I don't see the big deal in using it on an anonymous online forum like this one.

Doctors who do things that are extremely important (as opposed to checking commas on Annex 17 to the Master Purchase Agreement) use the term "baby doctor". Grab the smelling salts.

• Haha 1