Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LuckyCommander

Under Evaluation

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HelloLawSchool said:

I'm sorry to post again but I am getting a bit freaked out. Seems like all or most of the remaining decisions have gone out, yet I am still under evaluation. Do you think it's possible that they forgot about my application? Is anyone else still under evaluation as well?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm fairly sure there are still spots out there. I was accepted last Wednesday and formally rejected the offer on Friday. I had already accepted an offer at another school and essentially have everything set up there. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are other people still under evaluation at Ottawa in the same boat as me. Hang in there!

Edited by brodozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brodozer said:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm fairly sure there are still spots out there. I was accepted last Wednesday and formally rejected the offer on Friday. I had already accepted an offer at another school and essentially have everything set up there. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are other people still under evaluation at Ottawa in the same boat as me. Hang in there!

Wait did you have an acceptance to an Ontario school? They didn't cancel your Ottawa application? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, penguinh said:

Wait did you have an acceptance to an Ontario school? They didn't cancel your Ottawa application? 

Likely a soft acceptance in contrast to a firm acceptance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, penguinh said:

Wait did you have an acceptance to an Ontario school? They didn't cancel your Ottawa application? 

No the offer I accepted was Dal, so it didn't affect my Ontario application.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've emailed admissions about the rest of us who are still under evaluation. Nothing yet but will post if any new information arises.

 

Its absurd that we are halfway through July and there are so many of us that have legitimately no idea where we stand. Until last week I would have assumed that anyone still under evaluation should expect a rejection but 2-3 people skipped the wait list entirely and were straight admitted. At this point I am not convinced that they actually got through all of the applications or else why not just move people to wait list, rejection or accepted?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. 

I've been following this discussion thread (and basically this entire website) for quite some time. I've also been under evaluation with seemingly no movement. I emailed admissions and got a response this morning:

Quote

 

All applications are set to be updated this week. 

We sincerely apologize for the delay, but appreciate your patience in this process.

 

Hopefully we'll hear back sooner rather than later! 

Edited by BigPlans
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a very fast response by email.

 

"Thank you for contacting the Admissions' Office of the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section.
f
If you applied to participate as a first-year in the JD program, all files have been evaluated and pending status update. Since the update process is done manually, it may take a week or so to finish entering the data in the system. However, we are still evaluating upper year applications, therefore if you applied as a transfer student, letter of permission (LOP), NAC, etc. your file will be finalized most likely by next week as we needed to wait until our Vice-Dean came back from vacation."
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HopefulLawStu said:

Got a very fast response by email.

 

"Thank you for contacting the Admissions' Office of the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section.
f
If you applied to participate as a first-year in the JD program, all files have been evaluated and pending status update. Since the update process is done manually, it may take a week or so to finish entering the data in the system. However, we are still evaluating upper year applications, therefore if you applied as a transfer student, letter of permission (LOP), NAC, etc. your file will be finalized most likely by next week as we needed to wait until our Vice-Dean came back from vacation."

appreciate that they got back to you but still.. considering that other schools have basically passed this step a month ago, I still feel like they don't have their shit together. something is not right this year...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 10:52 AM, HopefulLawStu said:

Got a very fast response by email.

 

"Thank you for contacting the Admissions' Office of the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section.
f
If you applied to participate as a first-year in the JD program, all files have been evaluated and pending status update. Since the update process is done manually, it may take a week or so to finish entering the data in the system. However, we are still evaluating upper year applications, therefore if you applied as a transfer student, letter of permission (LOP), NAC, etc. your file will be finalized most likely by next week as we needed to wait until our Vice-Dean came back from vacation."

Does that mean that we can not hear anything either before their Vice-dean came back?OMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Needmoreluck said:

Does that mean that we can not hear anything either before their Vice-dean came back?OMG

I don’t think they even know anymore. I’ve seen other peoples emails that say everyone should be updated by the end of the week. Like 3 weeks ago people were receiving emails saying everyone's files would be updated before July. There is seemingly no relation between what they say and what actually happens.

 

Edited by HopefulLawStu
Typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 7/17/2019 at 5:09 AM, BigPlans said:

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. 

I've been following this discussion thread (and basically this entire website) for quite some time. I've also been under evaluation with seemingly no movement. I emailed admissions and got a response this morning:

Hopefully we'll hear back sooner rather than later! 

it's already the end of "this week" @ottawa wya

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole process is ruining my life. Should I just pursue a Master's if I don't get in this cycle and re-apply with a Master's? Looking at other people's stats, it seems that a higher LSAT score will not make a great difference for me. 

For reference here are my stats: 

LSAT 157, cGPA 3.32 L2 3.6 (Access) 

I've seen people with higher LSATs rejected. 

Edited by penguinh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, penguinh said:

This whole process is ruining my life. Should I just pursue a Master's if I don't get in this cycle and re-apply with a Master's? Looking at other people's stats, it seems that a higher LSAT score will not make a great difference for me. 

For reference here are my stats: 

LSAT 157, cGPA 3.32 L2 3.6 (Access) 

I've seen people with higher LSATs rejected. 

Raise your cGPA. Masters will have a negligible effect on the competitiveness of your application. Take courses as a special student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, penguinh said:

This whole process is ruining my life. Should I just pursue a Master's if I don't get in this cycle and re-apply with a Master's? Looking at other people's stats, it seems that a higher LSAT score will not make a great difference for me. 

For reference here are my stats: 

LSAT 157, cGPA 3.32 L2 3.6 (Access) 

I've seen people with higher LSATs rejected. 

you may want to direct this question to someone who has experience as a member of an admissions committee. some schools have 3L students on their admissions committee and they offer up help to people looking for insight as to the competitiveness of their application if you ask. if youre going to take advice from people on here who have never been a part of an admissions committee (or have never even been accepted to law school) then take it with a grain of salt.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tortured said:

you may want to direct this question to someone who has experience as a member of an admissions committee. some schools have 3L students on their admissions committee and they offer up help to people looking for insight as to the competitiveness of their application if you ask. if youre going to take advice from people on here who have never been a part of an admissions committee (or have never even been accepted to law school) then take it with a grain of salt.

While it's true that feedback should be requested from the schools directly, the information about the value of a graduate degree is accurate. If one is looking to increase their gpa by pursuing a graduate degree, that will not work for Ontario law schools. Only a few schools in Canada will include graduate degrees in their gpa assessment, and none of those are in Ontario.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

While it's true that feedback should be requested from the schools directly, the information about the value of a graduate degree is accurate. If one is looking to increase their gpa by pursuing a graduate degree, that will not work for Ontario law schools. Only a few schools in Canada will include graduate degrees in their gpa assessment, and none of those are in Ontario.

understood that graduate marks are not taken into consideration when calculating CGPA by Ontario schools. that being said, would you not agree that a graduate degree does add to the overall strength of an application from a well rounded perspective?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tortured said:

understood that graduate marks are not taken into consideration when calculating CGPA by Ontario schools. that being said, would you not agree that a graduate degree does add to the overall strength of an application from a well rounded perspective?

Negligibly, yes. But undergrad marks count the most. I say this as someone with a graduate degree who has been accepted to two law schools. It’s the unfortunate truth - I learned this the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tortured said:

understood that graduate marks are not taken into consideration when calculating CGPA by Ontario schools. that being said, would you not agree that a graduate degree does add to the overall strength of an application from a well rounded perspective?

It's a soft factor, similar to work experience, ECs, etc. It isn't likely to push an app with uncompetitive academic stats to a competitive status, for Ontario schools. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...